• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawsuit Accuses Domino's Pizza of 'Rampant Wage Violations'

Applying which laws?

this is really simple. we have labor laws in this country that say if you work then you get paid.
so if these people work hours and are not getting paid for them that is illegal according to the labor laws of this country.

if there are valid expenses that have to be reimbursed to the employee like millage etc ... then the company
must pay it.

I remember once feeling as if I was not being compensates fairly for my contribution to my employer's bottom line. I decided to find another job.

What exactly is the right wage for someone who drives his car using his GPS to deliver pizza anyway?

Domino's inc will get their part thrown out. as they have nothing to do with it.
the franchisers on the other hand very much will be responsible for paying back wages.

that is how the suit should go.
that is if the judge decides to follow the law.

The article in the OP has Dominos providing the payroll software that caused the trouble, and allegedly pushing it on their franchisees even after they knew it was causing problems. That seems like a clear link. Franchisees are typically compelled to purchase nearly every aspect of their business from the franchiser.

Actually, wage theft is pretty common, and has been around for decades. When I was a kid in high school, I worked part time at a Big Boy's restaurant washing dishes. One night, the dishwasher broke, and instead of sending me home, the manager told me to stick around and wait. instead of waiting, I repaired the dishwasher. The manager told me I wasn't going to be paid for any of the time, about 2 hours, that I wasn't actually washing dishes, even though I had just saved him a ton of money by fixing it myself. My father talked to his lawyer, who recommended that I file a complaint with the Labor Relations Management Board, which I did. I got fired for doing so, but I won my complaint, and got paid for the time I missed, along with some of the time I didn't work because I had been fired (That was about 16 more hours). Turns out that the company also got into trouble for retaliating against me for filing the complaint. As for being fired, I just got a job someplace else. Felt pretty good to put that asshole in his place.

I'm not saying Dominos is innocent, I'm saying that anyone can be accused of anything. It doesn't make them actually guilty. That comes after the case has been heard in court and decided upon by either a judge or a jury.

I'm not saying Dominos is innocent, I'm saying that anyone can be accused of anything. It doesn't make them actually guilty. That comes after the case has been heard in court and decided upon by either a judge or a jury.

Fair enough. :)

Well, sure, of course we have to wait to see if the facts actually support the accusation. The thread did take a weird little turn though where simply that accusation was grouped under "hostile to business." Some people in this thread appear to be operating under the belief that if you want to be pro-business, you can't accuse them of any wrong-doing. That's such a goofy notion I don't how to respond to that.

Yeah but what are we supposed to do, just never discuss a situation until after the jury verdict is in?

Well, sure, of course we have to wait to see if the facts actually support the accusation. The thread did take a weird little turn though where simply that accusation was grouped under "hostile to business." Some people in this thread appear to be operating under the belief that if you want to be pro-business, you can't accuse them of any wrong-doing. That's such a goofy notion I don't how to respond to that.
Bingo.

Yeah but what are we supposed to do, just never discuss a situation until after the jury verdict is in?

But nobody is talking about a situation, they are talking about an accusation. If you want to talk about wage violations, feel free. This particular case of these particular restaurants has not been proven however.

But nobody is talking about a situation, they are talking about an accusation. If you want to talk about wage violations, feel free. This particular case of these particular restaurants has not been proven however.
Innocent until proven guilty is acknowledged and noted. We are not a court of law, we can also discuss the accusations in the mean time.

Domino's is horrible. Worst pizza chain ever. :smileyfart

It's just baffling. There are few places in the United States where there is a Dominos without a competing pizza place just across the street whose pizza tastes better than the cardboard it's served in. And yet, people are still eating at Dominos. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Domino's is horrible but Little Ceasars is worse. My advice is to steer clear of a place that sells a whole large pizza for 5 bucks.

Actually, wage theft is pretty common, and has been around for decades. When I was a kid in high school, I worked part time at a Big Boy's restaurant washing dishes. One night, the dishwasher broke, and instead of sending me home, the manager told me to stick around and wait. instead of waiting, I repaired the dishwasher. The manager told me I wasn't going to be paid for any of the time, about 2 hours, that I wasn't actually washing dishes, even though I had just saved him a ton of money by fixing it myself. My father talked to his lawyer, who recommended that I file a complaint with the Labor Relations Management Board, which I did. I got fired for doing so, but I won my complaint, and got paid for the time I missed, along with some of the time I didn't work because I had been fired (That was about 16 more hours). Turns out that the company also got into trouble for retaliating against me for filing the complaint. As for being fired, I just got a job someplace else. Felt pretty good to put that asshole in his place.

They should have fired you for cause when you "fixed" the dishwasher without asking and without being a certified dishwasher repair person. You may have violated their warranty/service contract and opened them up to action by the state for having an inadequately repaired dishwasher and using underage labor to do so. I know you thought it was a clever action at the time (apparently still do). But having a dishwasher take it on himself to be the repair person doesn't cut it in legitimate business places.

It's just baffling. There are few places in the United States where there is a Dominos without a competing pizza place just across the street whose pizza tastes better than the cardboard it's served in. And yet, people are still eating at Dominos. I just can't wrap my head around it.

All the dominos naysayers. I worked at Dominos, several of them - ended up running a couple. Unlike EVERY other major chain pizza place of the time, Dominos always used fresh ingredients, freshly made dough and prepared by trained pizza makers.

All the dominos naysayers. I worked at Dominos, several of them - ended up running a couple. Unlike EVERY other major chain pizza place of the time, Dominos always used fresh ingredients, freshly made dough and prepared by trained pizza makers.

Sorry, I lived in Italy for years, where fresh ingredients are the entire damn point of Mediterranean cuisine. Whatever Dominos is using, fresh ingredients isn't it.

That reads like a parody. I hope you meant it as one.

Domino's is horrible but Little Ceasars is worse. My advice is to steer clear of a place that sells a whole large pizza for 5 bucks.

Unless you only have 5 bucks.

NY having a real tough time attracting and keeping bussinesses for some reason AND their losing New Yorkers too.

A Progressive activist AG isn't making that any easier on them

Wage theft is illegal in every state regardless of partisan leadership, in case no one told you.

And requiring businesses to pay for time worked is not "onerous regulation"

They should have fired you for cause when you "fixed" the dishwasher without asking and without being a certified dishwasher repair person. You may have violated their warranty/service contract and opened them up to action by the state for having an inadequately repaired dishwasher and using underage labor to do so. I know you thought it was a clever action at the time (apparently still do). But having a dishwasher take it on himself to be the repair person doesn't cut it in legitimate business places.
Sure they could have legitimately fired him, but they stilled owed his wages.

And a wage thief usually turns a blind eye to all kinds of illegal stuff, so really that manager was smart not to press that issue, because if they fired him for cause about the dishwasher the lawyer he spoke with probably would've found tolerated safety violations out the wazzu

And if they found that manager tolerated illegal stuff but only fired the OP then he gets to win his retaliation case anyway.

LC doesnt make pizza, they make flatbread with cheese and toppings on it. ;)

But then again, if you eat the edge part, its got a nice caramelized crunch where the cheese is a little burnt- so in that regards they still beat Dominos.

Pfft, they all say that. Heck, Papa John's have it as their main slogan. :2razz:

how is dough 'made fresh' using polydimethylsiloxane and other chemicals?

Back
Top Bottom