• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Law Abiding Citizen Shoots Dead Four People

Will outlawing murder stop murder from happening ?

Doesn't seem to be.

What else can we do to stop the out of control number of gun homicides per year....

Maybe disarm America ? Take away its guns.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Massive drop in gun deaths.

Massive drop in mass shootings.

What's not to like ?

So, banning murder does not stop murder.... But banning guns will stop shootings....

Can you name the cities with the strictest gun control and them compare with the highest rates of shootings?

Yeah, but no-one can trust what you "believe"

You believe that guns should not be banned.

You believe that guns are a necessity.

We both know you have been presented the info. Stop playing stupid.

And guns for many are a necessity... Your disbelief of that fact is irreverent to that reality.

The manner is relevant, very effective and entails a lot less physical work to do the deed.
I didn’t say irrelevant, I said the manner wasn’t the issue. Had the murderer been in possession of his faculties there would not have been any murders. That was the precipitating cause for the murders, not that he had access to a firearm.

Source ?

Or just another figure you pulled from your @ss ?

What about swimming pools, people die in swimming pool accidents every year...should we ban swimming pools ???

Aren't the people who drown in swimming pools just as "innocent" ?
Why would YOU question the existence of swimming pools? Using your logic of COURSE they should be banned. Think of the CHILDREN.

Right?

So do I take it that you DO think that in the name of publci safety all cars should be banned? Kitchen knives?

As to the figure...divide the total average number of murders (approx 9,000 and dropping) by the total number of firearms owned (Estimates up to 400,000,000 not counting the firearms built in homes using uppers and 80% uppers). The actual figure is .0000002%.

Yeah just another gun killing

One more anecdote

One more in a long, long list.

Four more dead people.

Four more names to add to a list that too long to count.

Just another anecdote...it's will be forgotten by tomorrow.

Yes, they probably will eventually be forgotten by most of us, in just the same way that the anecdotes of murderers stopped by armed "good guys" will eventually be forgotten.

Neither of these types of anecdotes are relevant to my right to protect myself in a way that I see fit. I have done nothing wrong to you or society with my guns. I will continue to carry and use them as I deem appropriate. Luckily for me, the justice system is increasingly becoming inclined to support armed self defense.

I didn’t say irrelevant, I said the manner wasn’t the issue. Had the murderer been in possession of his faculties there would not have been any murders. That was the precipitating cause for the murders, not that he had access to a firearm.

Had the murderer not had access to a firearm, the death toll could well have been less. Had he not lived in a weaponised culture, then killing others would have seemed more of a task.

Rich wants to ban and confiscate all guns. He's admitted this will require overturning the Second Amendment. He's also admitted that the Second Amendment will never be overturned. Given this position, he's not really here to discuss solutions.

Yup, I finally learned this fact.

Had the murderer not had access to a firearm, the death toll could well have been less. Had he not lived in a weaponised culture, then killing others would have seemed more of a task.
All possible. And possibly not.

What about a law banning murder?

the bannerrhoid movement can never explain the following tough questions

1) if the most serious penalties in our laws punish murder

2) and that laws that would punish gun ownership are as severe or less severe than what is meted out for murder

how will someone who ignores the consequences of murder be deterred by a gun law?

OH the gun banners will tell us banning guns will prevent criminals from getting guns

really-there are 400 million guns at least in the USA and the laws against drugs haven't prevented the widespread abuse of weed, coke and Heroin

Anyway, this case IS being dealt with according to your article. The guy is facing multiple charges.

well, as long as he is facing charges, all is good. :lamo

OMG... Apologetic rant?

You call a simple factual statement an "apologetic rant"?

Are you triggered by facts?

Yes I am triggered by facts

Some guy just killed 4 people (including two children) with a gun: FACT

The gun loving lobby's response is: "Oh well he would have killed them with something else had he not had a gun, So we may as well keep guns as they clearly had no significant role in the incident".

The denial is stunning.

Every time.

So, banning murder does not stop murder.... But banning guns will stop shootings....

YES

Take away people's guns
Explain to me how you can shoot someone without a gun

...can you name the cities with the strictest gun control and them compare with the highest rates of shootings?

London
Manchester
Glasgow
Birmingham
Leeds
Newcastle
Bristol
Cardiff
Liverpool

Or how about a US city - like New York.

"New York has the nation's third-lowest rate of gun deaths among the 50 states, according to a new study that found a correlation between firearm safety laws and reduced gun deaths...."

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/i...rd-lowest_rate_of_gun_deaths_study_shows.html

We both know you have been presented the info. Stop playing stupid....

No, you've presented the usual gun lovers' BS

...and guns for many are a necessity... Your disbelief of that fact is irreverent to that reality.

No they're not. They're not a necessity for anyone.

Excuses 2a and 2b

I call BS on BOTH.

Why would YOU question the existence of swimming pools? Using your logic of COURSE they should be banned. Think of the CHILDREN....

Because people die - including children - so we need to ban swimming pools right ?

Or are you saying this is a stupid argument?

You make things that people want to do safe.

I'd make gun ownership safe - by making all guns incapable of firing a bullet.

...so do I take it that you DO think that in the name of public safety all cars should be banned? Kitchen knives?

Of course not

See above - stupid arguments

I would however ban people from carrying kitchen knives in public.

...as to the figure...divide the total average number of murders (approx 9,000 and dropping) by the total number of firearms owned (Estimates up to 400,000,000 not counting the firearms built in homes using uppers and 80% uppers). The actual figure is .0000002%.

9,000 and dropping according to who ?

Why the number of firearms ?

Why not the number of firearms owners ?

Because people die - including children - so we need to ban swimming pools right ?

Or are you saying this is a stupid argument?

You make things that people want to do safe.

I'd make gun ownership safe - by making all guns incapable of firing a bullet.

Of course not

See above - stupid arguments

I would however ban people from carrying kitchen knives in public.

9,000 and dropping according to who ?

Why the number of firearms ?

Why not the number of firearms owners ?

Because YOU claim the GUN is to blame.

Derp.

Yes I am triggered by facts

Some guy just killed 4 people (including two children) with a gun: FACT

The gun loving lobby's response is: "Oh well he would have killed them with something else had he not had a gun, So we may as well keep guns as they clearly had no significant role in the incident".

The denial is stunning.

Every time.

Have you evidence that a gun ban would have stopped THIS shooting?

Yes or no?

YES

Take away people's guns

London
Manchester
Glasgow
Birmingham
Leeds
Newcastle
Bristol
Cardiff
Liverpool

Or how about a US city - like New York.

"New York has the nation's third-lowest rate of gun deaths among the 50 states, according to a new study that found a correlation between firearm safety laws and reduced gun deaths...."

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/i...rd-lowest_rate_of_gun_deaths_study_shows.html

Chicago, etc.

Try honest comparison.

You make your own, sometimes out of scrap metal.

I could fill two entire pages with links to DIY guns, and the people who know the craft.
Gunsmithing is an extremely popular hobby all over the world.

Looks to me like it was domestic violence, not gang related.

In either case, tell me, what exactly would you have done that would have prevented this? Exact details as much as possible please. No generalities as generalities does not solve problems.
Rich's "solution" is to confiscate all guns. He spreads that "reasoning" across every gun related thread.

What about a law that bans people from owning guns ?
we have those for certain classes of people. I'm wondering if all the facts come out there wasn't prior domestic violence in this case.

Oh it does ?

Really ?

And what would be your source on that ?

Excuse # 2a
Not an excuse - a fact. Studies by distinguished organizations including the CDC show defensive uses out number illegal gun deaths by orders of magnitude. I've probably linked that to you at least five times.

Back
Top Bottom