• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lauren Rosenberg sues Google, blames faulty Google Maps

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Turn right at the next intersection and continue for 3 miles. Oh, and watch out for any oncoming traffic.

A California woman is suing Google after she was hit by a car while following directions provided by Google Maps on her cell phone, according to AOL News.

Lauren Rosenberg says that the Google Maps BlackBerry application told her to use Deer Valley Drive -- a highway also called Utah State Route 224 -- to walk from one Park City address to another.

However, the directions did not tell her that there were no sidewalks along Deer Valley Drive, which, Rosenberg alleges, led to her being struck by traffic.

"As a direct and proximate cause of Defendant Google's careless, reckless and negligent providing of unsafe directions, Plaintiff Lauren Rosenberg was led onto a dangerous highway, and was thereby stricken by a motor vehicle, causing her to suffer severe permanent physical, emotional and mental injuries," according to the complaint filed in Park County district court.

Read more: Lauren Rosenberg sues Google, blames faulty Google Maps directions after being hit by car in Utah

The saddest part is that she'll probably win huge $$

So, when she saw there was no sidewalk and kept walking anyway, that's supposed to be Google's fault?

****ing retarded. This lawsuit is the epitome of how people in this country absolutely refuse to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions. Every goddamn thing must be someone elses fault because god ****ing forbid someone actually use their own goddamn brain to think FOR THEMSELVES.

Jesus.

The saddest part is that she'll probably win huge $$

She's suing becaus eit didn't proivide a warning? Maybe she should sue her EYES. They failed to provide her with a warning that there were no ****ing sidewalks.

She should win...and be given a few hundred thousand...and then be forced to live in a cardbox somewhere and be spoonfed jello and never be allowed near a light switch or candles because obviously she is too stupid to operate such things safely. We must protect her from her own dumb ass.

****ing Californians...

Yeah...This is a dumb b!tch and her suit will be dismissed. It makes the news and it costs a little time and money - but she'll spend more than anyone else will when it gets dismissed.

Of course this happened in Deer Valley, where people have more money than brains. I've actually been on this road. She was probably walking right on the road, there is a cliff on one side of it with a pretty steep drop, and the other side is clean up against the side of the mountain. What a maroon.

This is what happens when your phone is smarter than you are.

FWIW, I have this app on my droid. It's designed for driving directions, not walking directions. It never mentions sidewalks or pedestrian issues.

Last edited:
Of course this happened in Deer Valley, where people have more money than brains. I've actually been on this road. She was probably walking right on the road, there is a cliff on one side of it with a pretty steep drop, and the other side is clean up against the side of the mountain. What a maroon.

This cracks me up every time I read it. LOL. I even say it out loud now, "You're such a maroon!"

I don't know why that is so funny to me, but it is.

So she's suing because she blindly trusted a machine instead of using the human brain? I mean, sure I guess she could sue. But I certainly hope she doesn't win. Machines can be wrong, and if one leads you someplace you may think dangerous; then you're going to have to find another way. Use your head, sheesh.

So she's suing because she blindly trusted a machine instead of using the human brain? I mean, sure I guess she could sue. But I certainly hope she doesn't win. Machines can be wrong, and if one leads you someplace you may think dangerous; then you're going to have to find another way. Use your head, sheesh.

Use their head? What, are you insane? People can't be expected to do that. Especially not in THIS day and age. I mean, the government MUST oversee all of Google's maps and ensure that they list every single pothole and crack in the sidewalk. They must specify any hazard at all, and should also designate where every lightpost and telephone pole is. I mean, we wouldn't want people to just run right into them, would we? The maps should also tell people the exact moment it's going to rain, otherwise, someone MIGHT get wet. They could slip and fall on the wet ground! And then whose fault would that be?? Google's fault, of course! Duh. And the government's fault too for not ensuring the protection of it's citizens!

/end sarcasm

While I was in Mexico, we noticed that in the middle of most of the sidewalks were these huge holes. They were deliberate holes, some had trees planted in them, some had drains, some had electrical connections. They were like a foot deep. We laughed and remarked about how such things would never fly up in the US. I mean, those ever present holes actually required that one look where they are walking and step around or over them. And Americans, as a whole, cannot be expected to do such things. We chuckled about how there would be lawsuits galore if just one of those holes existed on some sidewalk in the US. Amazingly, though... in Mexico, people actually were capable of stepping over or around them.

Back
Top Bottom