• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Laugh it up: Study finds late-night comics using Democrats as punchlines

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
President Barack Obama, the joke's on you.A study of gags by late-night comics during the first half of the year found an abrupt change from 2012. Now Obama and Democrats are providing the lion's share of punchlines.
Obama was the target of 288 monologue jokes made by Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Craig Ferguson and Jimmy Kimmel, according to an analysis released Monday by the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University.
The next most joked-about individual was New York City Democratic mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner, at 120. His numbers are likely to jump fast, since the study period was before the second round of Weiner's sexting scandal.
In 2012, Mitt Romney was the butt of more than twice as many jokes as Obama, and Republicans were similarly the target of more than double the jokes that were made on Democrats.
The findings don't illustrate any political change of heart among late-night comics, said Robert Lichter, the center's president. The jokes follow the news, and with Republicans receding after an election campaign, Obama presented more opportunities, he said.

Read more: Laugh it up: Study finds late-night comics using Democrats as punchlines | Fox News

Well, let's see how demo's like it.....My guess, not so much.

Sure, now that it doesn't matter, they can joke about the joke in the Oval Office. An attempt to even things out and make it appear they're not biased.

I find Fox News laughable by the "facts" they use.

The fact that you can make these jokes and not get arrested indicates that the system is working somewhat.

The comic community is largely composed of liberals, leftists, and civil libertarian-minded individuals. It should be of no surprise that comedians view social commentary through that lens.

If using jokes from late-night comics is what we are going to use to base where the direction of the country is going, then I would say that the joke is on us.

When have comedians "Leno excluded obviously, as he's not a comedian" ever NOT made fun of the president? It's an easy target, and a rich area to make up "funny" jokes.

they should actually like it quite a bit. look at the explanation offered:
... Late-night comics, said Robert Lichter, the center's president. The jokes follow the news, and with Republicans receding after an election campaign ...
the other party is irrelevant

I'm not sure why that's surprising or anything. Comics make jokes about current events. Obama's the guy in the white house, so of course he's the target of a lot of jokes. If Romney had won, they'd be telling them about him.

It's OK. We're not freaky insecure conservatives and actually have a sense of humor.

Sure, now that it doesn't matter, they can joke about the joke in the Oval Office. An attempt to even things out and make it appear they're not biased.
^ They always find a way to see persecution in everything...

The only joke that bothers me is the Republican platform.

I dunno but it seems to me that comedians only focus on making fun of a political party when that party controls both the white house and congress at the same time. Otherwise, they pretty much make fun of both parties all the time.

^ They always find a way to see persecution in everything...

Why do liberals always view any disagreement with their prime directive as a voicing of victimhood? Is it because they are born with the victimhood gene and they assume all others are equally so damaged?

Why do liberals always view any disagreement with their prime directive as a voicing of victimhood? Is it because they are born with the victimhood gene and they assume all others are equally so damaged?

Because the very idea that talk show comedians only make fun of conservatives is a victim mentality. I will give the cons the reality that they are often the butt of more jokes, but that is because they have gone down the road of being loudmouth idiots who do and say many things that write the jokes themselves. I could not imagione a comedian staying away from weinergate, the soda ban, or the san diego mayor. Obama has been parodied and joked about a lot. Remember when he slept through the first debate last election? So pretending this is some new development because comics ignore democrat stupidity is making a victim narrative that is really stupid and completely wrong.

I will give the cons the reality that they are often the butt of more jokes, but that is because they have gone down the road of being loudmouth idiots who do and say many things that write the jokes themselves.

A Dale Carnegie graduate no doubt....

A Dale Carnegie graduate no doubt....

I would say more of giving the people who hate others a banner to rally around. It is great for drumming up support of minions, but terrible for avoiding making idiotic statements and becoming a stereotype open to ridicule. The dems do put more effort into an image of being reasonable and open. Because of that effort they probably have learned to keep silent on radical ideas and avoid saying outlandish things. Not that there are not loud mouthed dems, but that as a group they tend to not make the same amount of crazy as the reps who try to motivate a very hateful core. Hate is a great motivator, but it tends to make one stupid and closed minded.

While I appreciate all of my liberal friends taking the time to respond with the usual Alinsky style, and predictable responses in some cases, the tone, and vitriolic mockery shows me that in my short and tongue in cheek OP, I have struck a nerve...

Obama has an amazingly, yet well known 'thin skin' when it comes to criticism. So much so that HuffPo even wrote about it....

Obama is among the most thin-skinned presidents we have had, and we see evidence of it in every possible venue imaginable, from one-on-one interviews to press conferences, from extemporaneous remarks to set speeches.
The president is constantly complaining about what others are saying about him.

Obama, the Thin-Skinned President

So yeah, when certain liberal Obama supporters in here try the failed tactic of making this about how conservatives have some persecution complex, or play victim cards, is really only cover for what they know is their own short coming.

In fact, as personal, and anecdotal experience I can tell you of the liberals I know in real life, it is usually best to steer clear of talking politics at parties and such, not because they don't articulate their opinions, but rather because they usually get too upset to have a civil discussion in real life....

So, my conclusion thus far is that the liberal progressives in here displaying snark, and backhanded insult, are only projecting, and thus really don't want to discuss anything, but rather just call names, and stomp off like children...I for one hope that they realize this, and get with the program a little.

You've heard of the concept of projection, the next step to master is insight.

While I appreciate all of my liberal friends taking the time to respond with the usual Alinsky style, and predictable responses in some cases, the tone, and vitriolic mockery shows me that in my short and tongue in cheek OP, I have struck a nerve...

Obama has an amazingly, yet well known 'thin skin' when it comes to criticism. So much so that HuffPo even wrote about it....

So yeah, when certain liberal Obama supporters in here try the failed tactic of making this about how conservatives have some persecution complex, or play victim cards, is really only cover for what they know is their own short coming.

In fact, as personal, and anecdotal experience I can tell you of the liberals I know in real life, it is usually best to steer clear of talking politics at parties and such, not because they don't articulate their opinions, but rather because they usually get too upset to have a civil discussion in real life....

So, my conclusion thus far is that the liberal progressives in here displaying snark, and backhanded insult, are only projecting, and thus really don't want to discuss anything, but rather just call names, and stomp off like children...I for one hope that they realize this, and get with the program a little.

Glad you have a sense of humor. You set the tone with your first opening thread posting here.

yes yes, we know you are the victim of a huge conspiracy that never existed. When pondering why conservatives may get made fun of more than others it might be good to recognize this sort of reaction. The kid who cries and whines a lot actually encourages people to make fun of him because the people doing it get a reaction. It is the danger of playing your victim card a bit too well. People who enjoy tormenting others realize that you make a good victim.

Oh, and I thought you said obama did not get made fun of and it was only conservatives who the media focused on. How could he have had such a reaction if he was not being made fun of? You are making less sense and have now completely contradicted the Op by claiming Obama gets made fun of.

I would say more of giving the people who hate others a banner to rally around. It is great for drumming up support of minions, but terrible for avoiding making idiotic statements and becoming a stereotype open to ridicule. The dems do put more effort into an image of being reasonable and open. Because of that effort they probably have learned to keep silent on radical ideas and avoid saying outlandish things. Not that there are not loud mouthed dems, but that as a group they tend to not make the same amount of crazy as the reps who try to motivate a very hateful core. Hate is a great motivator, but it tends to make one stupid and closed minded.

Oh, I disagree...Although I do find that some have touched on it in this thread, saying that both sides tend to make dumb comments, or do stupid actions that gain the eye of comedians, usually it is liberals that are insulated from the bulk of the material....While at the same time, mocking, and joking about their political counterparts as though they have the right to make fun of them, but that should the butt of the joke become about them, they get upset, and turn quickly vitriolic.

Back
Top Bottom