• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Latino organizers refuse to let Sanders speak at event

Beaudreaux

Preserve Protect Defend
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Latino organizers refuse to let Sanders speak at event | The Hill

Bernie Sanders was denied speaking time at a Spanish-language festival Sunday, according to reporters on the campaign trail with the Democratic presidential candidate.

Sanders tried to take the stage during an event at Plaza Mexico in Lynwood, Calif., on Sunday afternoon but was rejected. “This is our event,” a staffer told reporters after the incident.

Seriously? They wouldn't even let him take the stage? A staffer for the festival confirmed it to the press. Then, the short article above has quotes from a rep from the Sanders campaign denying it happened, then clarifying later with some confusing double talk about how by the time it was fixed it was too late to talk?

What is it with the Black and Latino leadership in the Democratic Party as well as their overall voting blocks not supporting Bernie at all? I don't get it? Anyone want to try to explain this?

Seriously? They wouldn't even let him take the stage? A staffer for the festival confirmed it to the press. Then, the short article above has quotes from a rep from the Sanders campaign denying it happened, then clarifying later with some confusing double talk about how by the time it was fixed it was too late to talk?

What is it with the Black and Latino leadership in the Democratic Party as well as their overall voting blocks not supporting Bernie at all? I don't get it? Anyone want to try to explain this?

Damn people not letting Sanders hijack their event...

I very much would like to know the rationale behind this, too.

From where I'm sitting, it makes no sense.

I very much would like to know the rationale behind this, too.

From where I'm sitting, it makes no sense.

Why would they need any rationale beyond it is their event that they organized and paid for, and they did not want some one assuming he should benefit from their work?

Ive been wondering that myself. If it weren't for overwhelming black support for Hillary in the South, Sanders would probably be leading right now. I guess blacks just aren't ready to leave the liberal establishment plantation just yet

Maybe that's all there was to it. If so, that seems reasonable to me. Still not good optics for Bernie or the group that put on the event.

It makes Sanders look stupid, but does not reflect negatively in any way on the event organizers. Quite the opposite, they deserve applause for standing up to some one acting like an ass.

Why would they need any rationale beyond it is their event that they organized and paid for, and they did not want some one assuming he should benefit from their work?

Do you have evidence of that, other than the one simple statement made by the organizers representative, which could have meant a number of other things as well? If so, please provide it because that would help shed light on the thread and the issue at hand, and I would greatly appreciate your input, as always.

It makes Sanders look stupid, but does not reflect negatively in any way on the event organizers. Quite the opposite, they deserve applause for standing up to some one acting like an ass.

You're seeing something that I'm not - namely that Sanders is at fault here (i.e.: acting like an ass). I guess I'm just missing it, but...

Do you have evidence of that, other than the one simple statement made by the organizers representative, which could have meant a number of other things as well? If so, please provide it because that would help shed light on the thread and the issue at hand, and I would greatly appreciate your input, as always.

What issue? They said no. They put on in the work, money and resources, they have every right to say no. End of issue.

You're seeing something that I'm not - namely that Sanders is at fault here (i.e.: acting like an ass). I guess I'm just missing it, but...

Did he try and use an event that was not about him, with no warning? Think about that, really hard.

In specific terms of this event, your point might be valid.

But I was looking at the bigger picture of him not catching-on with minorities.

Why don't you believe the Sanders campaign when they said that he wasn't prevented from speaking? What is it with conservatives that need to make **** up just so they can blame racial minorities? How do they live with themselves?

Sanders is campaigning in California ahead of the state’s primary on Tuesday. His campaign denied Sunday that the candidate was prevented from speaking.

Sanders camp denies he was blocked from spking in Lynwood: “The sponsor was Bud Lite. One rep said he wasn't sure so we said fine..."

6:04 PM - 5 Jun 2016

"... then a supervisor followed us to the restaurant to say Bernie was welcome. By that point we had moved on." -Sanders aide Briggs

Sanders is campaigning in California ahead of the state’s primary on Tuesday. His campaign denied Sunday that the candidate was prevented from speaking.

Sanders camp denies he was blocked from spking in Lynwood: “The sponsor was Bud Lite. One rep said he wasn't sure so we said fine..."

"... then a supervisor followed us to the restaurant to say Bernie was welcome. By that point we had moved on." -Sanders aide Briggs

Cool beans. Thanks for the information.

Did he try and use an event that was not about him, with no warning? Think about that, really hard.

I didn't know there was no warning. I reasonably presumed his campaign and the Secret Service would coordinate with the event staff. I can't imagine the Secret Service allowing otherwise.

Ive been wondering that myself. If it weren't for overwhelming black support for Hillary in the South, Sanders would probably be leading right now. I guess blacks just aren't ready to leave the liberal establishment plantation just yet

Or maybe they just aren't ready for the conservative establishment gas chambers just yet. :roll:

I don't agree with your last sentence (at least in tone).

But very much agree with the others.

Because He's Bernie. An old white radical from a state that's 98% white. It's a little late for them to decide they might need votes from people other than bored white college kids and leftist radicals.

Why don't you believe the Sanders campaign when they said that he wasn't prevented from speaking? What is it with conservatives that need to make **** up just so they can blame racial minorities? How do they live with themselves?

I read that part Moot, and that's why I said what I said in the OP about it. It isn't unheard of for a political campaign to spin an event to make them not look bad. Why would the event staff be telling a lie? I can see a political staffer saying "We weren't stopped from talking, it was too late to talk by the time we worked it all out" which is basically what the campaign said. I'm not saying they lied, it just looks like they spun it is all.

As for accusing me of racism and lying, you can apologize at any time, Moot. Prove to me where I've said anything racist... EVER? Show me where I lied? You can't, but go ahead and try.

Apologize, or at least retract.

There we go.

Because He's Bernie. An old white radical from a state that's 98% white. It's a little late for them to decide they might need votes from people other than bored white college kids and leftist radicals.

I would hope it's more deep than that and based on ideology rather than, well, nothing.

Yeah man, **** those white people!

Last edited:
Cool beans. Thanks for the information.

That was in the story I posted. It doesn't mesh with the statement from the actual event organizers. Which is why I asked some of the questions I asked. I wasn't blaming anyone, even though I've been accused of doing so based on race, which I refuse to do.

Just be careful who you listen to on here. Do your own research and look for the truth by reading all the information, not just the parts that some folks will try to limit your access to. I've been very impressed by your posts so far, and I think you're becoming a great addition to the DP family. I don't want to see you get pulled astray by those that would cause you harm.

Yeah man, **** those white people!

That is not what he said, at all. Sanders has never, until he decided to run for president, tried to appeal to any one other than his normal supporters. That he does not appeal to blacks or Hispanics is not the fault of those people, but his own, for not making the effort till too late.

Back
Top Bottom