• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Latest on Murtha and the administration

Inuyasha

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I heard this on local media this morning. How true is it? Hell is anything in the media true anymore? They can't even get the weather report right. But anyway ..here goes.

It's seems that long before this outburst by Murtha there has been trouble brewing. According to this reporter (un-named) Murtha wrote two letters as ranking member of the House Appropriations Committee for Defense requesting to see the President on matters related to this committee. According to Murtha's staff these letters were never acknowledged nor answered. This obviously p¡ssed Murtha off no end and was a part of his sudden turn around. So there i a personal element in this thing and it is starting to read like a gossip column.

In part it is designed to chastise the ad ministarion for what many see as a distaste of the White House for the legislative branch of the government and to bring attention the bad manners and diplomacy often exhibited
By the administration. See it as you may, there certainly has been a display of poor manners and poor diplomacy in many areas by some on the WH staff.

The major point here being that there is some personal stuff here that we haven't heard about before (if it is true) just making the whole situation more distasteful to the American people.

Inuyasha said:
I heard this on local media this morning. How true is it? Hell is anything in the media true anymore? They can't even get the weather report right. But anyway ..here goes.

It's seems that long before this outburst by Murtha there has been trouble brewing. According to this reporter (un-named) Murtha wrote two letters as ranking member of the House Appropriations Committee for Defense requesting to see the President on matters related to this committee. According to Murtha's staff these letters were never acknowledged nor answered. This obviously p¡ssed Murtha off no end and was a part of his sudden turn around. So there i a personal element in this thing and it is starting to read like a gossip column.

In part it is designed to chastise the ad ministarion for what many see as a distaste of the White House for the legislative branch of the government and to bring attention the bad manners and diplomacy often exhibited
By the administration. See it as you may, there certainly has been a display of poor manners and poor diplomacy in many areas by some on the WH staff.

The major point here being that there is some personal stuff here that we haven't heard about before (if it is true) just making the whole situation more distasteful to the American people.

I just cannot imagine Murtha turning around because of his being rebuffed by the White House. That seems far fetched to me. Now, I am not putting down your thread, Inuyasha, as I know you are simply the messenger. I am just saying that for someone who has been a real hawk on military issues, I don't think he would do this turnaround lightly and particularly not based on hurt/angry feelings. I think he's too good for that kind of behavior and will be terribly disappointed if that had any bearing on his change of heart.

aps said:
I just cannot imagine Murtha turning around because of his being rebuffed by the White House. That seems far fetched to me. Now, I am not putting down your thread, Inuyasha, as I know you are simply the messenger. I am just saying that for someone who has been a real hawk on military issues, I don't think he would do this turnaround lightly and particularly not based on hurt/angry feelings. I think he's too good for that kind of behavior and will be terribly disappointed if that had any bearing on his change of heart.

I agree. Murtha doesn't come off as thin skinned at all. Maybe he said something and some one "assumed"... news people do that all the time then report it as fact.

On the second point about the White House I am more apt to agree. This administration often appears as distant and secretive which IMO does not help them at all. Bad manners? I would say they are not going to win any awards in this area but i don't think they give a Tinker's damn. Rice and Cheney seem to think that what others are calling bad manners are good tactics. But I see that Rice had to back off her introductory "hard nosed" speech and had to be a little more diplomatic. From her past record IMO she was not the right person of Sec. of State based on her behavior as NSA. Diplomacy is not her thing and I feel we would have been better served with her in a position more befitting her "hard as nails" approach like SoD. In the case of Cheney I just think he's got chronic back pain.

Back
Top Bottom