• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Latency of our Climate System.

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Part of the complexity of deciding what is our normal climate,
Is that we live in a very cyclic system.
We have a 24 hour Daily Cycle, that is superimposed onto a 365.25 annual cycle,
that is superimposed onto an 11 year sunspot cycle.
The entire premise behind AGW, is that extra Co2 is adding enough time lag(latency)
to the energy leaving earth, that the energy persists longer than the cool down cycle.
Each unit of energy which survives the cycle, accumulates.
While I think there are several weaknesses in this concept,
What I would like input on in this thread, is how much latency does each unit of Co2 add.
There are places at the same latitude which receive equal hours of sunlight, and have the same
Co2 levels, yet have vastly different warm up and cool down cycles.

Part of the complexity of deciding what is our normal climate,
Is that we live in a very cyclic system.

We have a 24 hour Daily Cycle, that is superimposed onto a 365.25 annual cycle,
that is superimposed onto an 11 year sunspot cycle.
The entire premise behind AGW, is that extra Co2 is adding enough time lag(latency)
to the energy leaving earth, that the energy persists longer than the cool down cycle.
Each unit of energy which survives the cycle, accumulates.
While I think there are several weaknesses in this concept,
What I would like input on in this thread, is how much latency does each unit of Co2 add.
There are places at the same latitude which receive equal hours of sunlight, and have the same
Co2 levels, yet have vastly different warm up and cool down cycles.
In other words the planet may be approaching 12 noon and people are afraid by 12 midnight we will be on fire if it keeps going at this pace.
:lol:

In other words the planet may be approaching 12 noon and people are afraid by 12 midnight we will be on fire if it keeps going at this pace.
:lol:
That's the idea anyway.
A house warms up when the sun shines in, and cools off after the sun goes down.
An insulated house and an uninsulated house will have very different cool down curves.
We may never know all of the ways energy leaves the earth, but how fast it cools down
after dark, could tell us if anything is changing, and the data has already been collected.
I suspect we have hourly temperature records going back over 100 years,
so a clear night cool down now and a clear night cool down from 100 years ago,
might have a different curve.
If we have added significant insulation(heat latency).

That's the idea anyway.
A house warms up when the sun shines in, and cools off after the sun goes down.
An insulated house and an uninsulated house will have very different cool down curves.
We may never know all of the ways energy leaves the earth, but how fast it cools down
after dark, could tell us if anything is changing, and the data has already been collected.
I suspect we have hourly temperature records going back over 100 years,
so a clear night cool down now and a clear night cool down from 100 years ago,
might have a different curve.
If we have added significant insulation(heat latency).

Way to complicated and encompassing, far easier to say it's warmer today than yesterday, warmer today than it was before industrialization. Bumper stickers unfortunately work.

Back
Top Bottom