• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Late-blooming lesbians: women can switch sexualities as they mature

Let me ask you this then, could you change gay? Seriously this is how gay people know there gay, the same way you know your straight. Or how bi people know there bi. It's not different mental process, just a different attraction.

Exactly. I am sure that there are many gay males and females that at one point or another wished they were straight just to make life easier. How come they can't just flip the switch?

Let me ask you this then, could you change gay? Seriously this is how gay people know there gay, the same way you know your straight. Or how bi people know there bi. It's not different mental process, just a different attraction.

Of course not everybody can "change" themselves to be gay or straight any more than we can say that everyone is either gay or straight. Bisexual is not a clearly defined sexuality and even people who have always and will always have sex with only males or females can have moments and times when they find themselves sexaully attracted or aroused by the same or opposite sex. You can choose to only have sex with males or females despite the fact that you are attracted to both. If you want to have a monogamous relationship and you are bisexual you have to make that choice. To suggest we have no control over our sexual behavior is ludicrous. To say we are only defined by how much sexual pleasure we recieve in life is equally ludicrous.

Interesting article. Your conclusion is missing "always," as in "ain't always genetic." For 1/3, it's inferred that it is. I've always thought that people choosing a homosexual lifestyle can be the result of nature or nuture or one's own life experience. I wonder why we care so much that we study it.

Why do people say that? People dont "choose" a homosexual or straight lifestyle.

Anyway, whats your opinion on bisexual people? Genetic or an example where it isn't genetic?

Last edited:
In other news, some people who enjoy beer in their youth may switch to whiskey, which contradicts the scientific consensus that one is born awesome.

Anyway, whats your opinion on bisexual people?

Those are the people who have certainly increased their chances of finding a date on a Saturday night.

Of course not everybody can "change" themselves to be gay or straight any more than we can say that everyone is either gay or straight. Bisexual is not a clearly defined sexuality and even people who have always and will always have sex with only males or females can have moments and times when they find themselves sexaully attracted or aroused by the same or opposite sex. You can choose to only have sex with males or females despite the fact that you are attracted to both. If you want to have a monogamous relationship and you are bisexual you have to make that choice. To suggest we have no control over our sexual behavior is ludicrous. To say we are only defined by how much sexual pleasure we recieve in life is equally ludicrous.

I'm not saying that we have no control over our sexual behavior. I'm saying we have no control over our sexual attractions.

I half agree on this. I think homosexuality is a decision. I think bisexuality is indecision.

I half agree on this. I think homosexuality is a decision. I think bisexuality is indecision.

Bisexuality is the attraction to both genders, not indecision.

Bisexuality is a fad created by selfish, horny guys who pressure their girlfriends into licking snatch through intimidation.

Don't give it a voice. It doesn't need it.

Bisexuality is a fad created by selfish, horny guys who pressure their girlfriends into licking snatch through intimidation.

Nothing more than a stereotype. There are also bi guys, which completely destroys that stereotype.

Men so horny they'd stick their dicks in a light socket. Let's not give them a voice either.

Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. What you call prejudice, I call statistics.

No dear, bisexuals like myself make no decision except with whom we're going to **** on any given night. My desires and sexual attractions are not decisions and are not influenced by any boyfriends. I find both men and women sexually appealing and enjoy having sex with both. There is no "indecision" and there is no intimidation. I just find certain PEOPLE sexually appealing, regardless of their gender.

Why do people say that? People dont "choose" a homosexual or straight lifestyle.

Anyway, whats your opinion on bisexual people? Genetic or an example where it isn't genetic?

I'd say opportunistic. :mrgreen:

I think women are generally more comfortable with idea to start with.

I think in a greater number of cases, women get tired of failed relationships with men and give up on them but still need love and belonging and acceptance.

Sexual behavior conditioning is even stronger than genetic, so lesbians or homos, or anyone else changing what is already cast in stone, is impossible.

ricksfolly

Available evidence strongly suggests otherwise.

Despite what the anti-gay folks are saying here, the strongest evidence points to the notion that being gay is not at all a choice for most people. But, let's discuss those people for whom it is a choice.

Do we have a right to tell those people that their relationships are wrong because they choose same sex relations when they are capable of opposite sex relations? To my mind it makes absolutely no difference, because whether a choice for any particular person or not, it really is no one else's business. Really.

I just want to expand on what I said earlier:

... I mean, is it ok that gay people are gay because "its not their choice, and so they just can't help it". I mean, really, it such a degrading argument when you put it that way. I say that Gay people are ok because it really is none of anyone else's damn business. That is an argument that demands respect.

Gay people should stop saying "accept me because its not my choice" and start saying "well, its not my choice, but that isn't the reason you don't get to persecute me. You don't get to persecute me because it doesn't affect you. Butt out, loser"

Last edited:
Despite what the anti-gay folks are saying here, the strongest evidence points to the notion that being gay is not at all a choice for most people. But, let's discuss those people for whom it is a choice.

Do we have a right to tell those people that their relationships are wrong because they choose same sex relations when they are capable of opposite sex relations? To my mind it makes absolutely no difference, because whether a choice for any particular person or not, it really is no one else's business. Really.

Do you feel the same way about business people?

tIM-

I just want to expand on what I said earlier:

... I mean, is it ok that gay people are gay because "its not their choice, and so they just can't help it". I mean, really, it such a degrading argument when you put it that way. I say that Gay people are ok because it really is none of anyone else's damn business. That is an argument that demands respect.

Gay people should stop saying "accept me because its not my choice" and start saying "well, its not my choice, but that isn't the reason you don't get to persecute me. You don't get to persecute me because it doesn't affect you. Butt out, loser"

I agree that it is none of anybody's business. That is exactly where the argument about the gay lifestyle or homosexuality began back in the 60's and 70's. It should have been left at that instead of becoming a construct for creating a set of rights based on how people have sex. If society in general weren't so explicit about their sexuality, both hetero and homo, it probably wouldn't really matter much in the scheme of things. But a lot of people just dont' want to be left alone, they want to be in your face about something that should be personal and private. They want to be able to publicly express their sexuality.

I am glad that you recognize there is a degree of choice in sexual behavior because it is true. I think it has only a small bearing on the issue of gay or straight but is still important to realize.

Back
Top Bottom