• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lasted edited by...

Orion

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I am annoyed by this function.

Sometimes I read through my post after posting and notice some spelling errors. I make minor corrections and then the forum notes that I edited it. It looks sloppy and unfinished. It makes it look like I changed my mind on my own opinion, or added something at random, which is often not the case.

On all other forums I've posted on, you can edit your post unlimited times without it being noted so long as your post is the most recent one in the thread. After someone else posts, you can't edit anymore.

I think for the sake of DP, post editing should expire after 20 minutes or something along those lines, but as long as your post is the most recent one and within this time frame, the forum should not make note that you edited it.

I am annoyed by this function.

Sometimes I read through my post after posting and notice some spelling errors. I make minor corrections and then the forum notes that I edited it. It looks sloppy and unfinished. It makes it look like I changed my mind on my own opinion, or added something at random, which is often not the case.

On all other forums I've posted on, you can edit your post unlimited times without it being noted so long as your post is the most recent one in the thread. After someone else posts, you can't edit anymore.

I think for the sake of DP, post editing should expire after 20 minutes or something along those lines, but as long as your post is the most recent one and within this time frame, the forum should not make note that you edited it.

I agree with you.

As long as there's a way to see the trail of edits I'd have no issue with that.

Its been a less infrequent tactic then I'd wish to have people make an entirely baiting comment, only to edit it immediately upon receiving a response from the baited person followed by reporting said baited persons post. The ability to check the old edits is extremely helpful in that, and other, situations.

However if there was a way to see that a post was edited and see the edited posts without it being a big obvious line at the end of the post I think that'd be neat, as I agree sometimes you get that sinking suspicion someones going to think you suddenly went 180 with regards to what you posted instead of just maybe fixing some spelling errors.

As long as there's a way to see the trail of edits I'd have no issue with that.

Its been a less infrequent tactic then I'd wish to have people make an entirely baiting comment, only to edit it immediately upon receiving a response from the baited person followed by reporting said baited persons post. The ability to check the old edits is extremely helpful in that, and other, situations.

However if there was a way to see that a post was edited and see the edited posts without it being a big obvious line at the end of the post I think that'd be neat, as I agree sometimes you get that sinking suspicion someones going to think you suddenly went 180 with regards to what you posted instead of just maybe fixing some spelling errors.

Which is why I suggest the 20 minute cap. I should be able to edit my post any way I wish if it's within 20 minutes and the last post in the thread, without it being noted to the forum. For mods, you can do whatever it is you have to do behind the scenes to maintain records. If someone posts after my post then my edits should always be noted publically, because the post after mine could be a response to what I just said.

Doesn't it give you an option to state the reason for editing? I would just put in there "fix spelling/grammar errors" and not worry if anyone believes me or not.

It sure does

Last edited:
Doesn't it give you an option to state the reason for editing? I would just put in there "fix spelling/grammar errors" and not worry if anyone believes me or not.

It sure does

I shouldn't have to state a reason for editing my post, because I should be able to edit my post without it being noted.:mrgreen:

Every forum I've ever been a moderator or member of has had the "reason for edit" note tags on it.

The only thing that annoys me is not being able to fix grammar/spelling errors far in the future - like - months later when I recap and notice them.

By clicking "last edited by..." can't you see what the post looked like pre-edit?

The current rules are (and have not changed) - good topic btw!

Title change = 5 mins
Edit post = 25 mins
Add a poll = unlimited time
Display "last edited by" = 1 minute
View edit history = Visible to mods

I am open to discussion on making the edit history visible publicly or maybe even increasing "edited by" time.
However, my position is that a 25 minute window for editing is just about right.

My concerns about public history - it can be used against us folks who can't spell right the first time. LOL

Last edited:

Title change = 5 mins
Edit post = 25 mins

I am open to discussion on making the edit history visible publicly or maybe even increasing "edited by" time.
However, my position is that a 20 minute window for editing is just about right.

My concerns about public history - it can be used against us folks who can't spell right the first time. LOL

Those 25 minutes... does that start from the time you START writing your posts or from the time you submit?

The main thing I want to change is the "edited by" time.

Submit.

How long do you think the wait for edited by should be?

Submit.

How long do you think the wait for edited by should be?

Same as the general time, 25 minutes, but only if it's the last post in the thread. If another post comes after it, then the 25 minutes still apply, but any edits will be recorded.

I would make the wait for "edited by" at least 5 minutes, as there are plenty of times where you realize a typo or something just outside of the one minute gap.

All posts have a recorded edit history by default. Every edit is logged. It is only used like Zyphlin said above - rare situations where the reported issue doesn't seem appear in the thread type thing. It is not really feasible to view the history unless you are looking for something.

The only difference is the ease in which to get to those edits. For mods the edited by is also a link to the history.

I could see 2 or 3 minutes but not 25 minutes for that to pop up.

I tend to write long posts and by the time I've read through them all 5 minutes could have elapsed already. The current system works against people who put more effort into their posts.

I'm willing to compromise but 5 minutes is too little. I would say 15.

Waiting for others to chime in....

My thoughts are that simply knowing that a post has been edited since you saw it last can be valuable information in a discussion.

While I try to fully construct my argument before I begin typing, I tend to think on my feet and may end up changing my argument based on further processing in my brain either while typing or a few minutes later. This is where editing a post is helpful for me. Otherwise, I would have to make posts to redact my earlier posts with a new point of view or a different argument and it would get very confusing if editing were locked out quickly.

(edit: I just did it in this post actually)

Crazy question here....

If its such a big deal to you, why not...instead of asking for the entire forum software to change to benefit you...you just read through your entire post using the "preview post" button BEFORE actually hitting the button to actively post it.

Preview Post allows you to read it just as it would be on the forum, so if you really do reread every post you make then use the preview post button. This would then allow you to proof read and check things without ever worrying about the "edited by" at all.

It just seems that rather than do an extra small step that could be done immedietely, as of this moment today, that would fix your problem you're instead pushing for a hardware fix that it seems (since I've never seen it really complained about before) most don't want and from a mod perspective I think could potentially be problematic, especially at the full 25 minute window.

If its just about how it flows together, spelling, etc then the Preview Post will work fine.

If its like mega is saying (and frankly what happens with me a lot) where you're suddenly getting new ideas and thoughts, then the "edited by" is handy to let people know something more may've been added to a post they may've just read.

Last edited:
I tend to write long posts and by the time I've read through them all 5 minutes could have elapsed already. The current system works against people who put more effort into their posts.
I would suggest the Three-Step approach...

- Compose lengthy posts initially in Word/Notepad. Proof-read and edit/alter as necessary.
- Copy & Paste this document into our Advanced Reply feature. Fine tune.
- Click Submit

- Compose lengthy posts initially in Word/Notepad. Proof-read and edit/alter as necessary.
- Click Submit

That's what I do! The moment I realize I'm encroaching a book I don't compose in the browser.
Purely for no other reason than the fact that my old computer use to crash mid-way and I'd lose everything so leaving the browser was a failsafe. A few too many rants were lost. :rofl:

Title change = 5 mins
Edit post = 25 mins

However, my position is that a 25 minute window for editing is just about right.

I long ago came to terms with my inabilaty to spell.... Even when Google Chrome tells me so, I often don't bother..... ;)

Title change = 5 mins
Edit post = 25 mins

Those rules seem sufficient to me. I don't see where a public history would be necessary, except perhaps to the author or in cases where someone is being dishonest with their post. However, in cases of dishonesty, the edit time in most cases should provide sufficient evidence of tampering based on time stamps.

Probably the only thing I would change is adding an enforced requirement to give a reason for an edit.

Crazy question here....

If its such a big deal to you, why not...instead of asking for the entire forum software to change to benefit you...you just read through your entire post using the "preview post" button BEFORE actually hitting the button to actively post it.

Preview Post allows you to read it just as it would be on the forum, so if you really do reread every post you make then use the preview post button. This would then allow you to proof read and check things without ever worrying about the "edited by" at all.

It just seems that rather than do an extra small step that could be done immedietely, as of this moment today, that would fix your problem you're instead pushing for a hardware fix that it seems (since I've never seen it really complained about before) most don't want and from a mod perspective I think could potentially be problematic, especially at the full 25 minute window.

If its just about how it flows together, spelling, etc then the Preview Post will work fine.

If its like mega is saying (and frankly what happens with me a lot) where you're suddenly getting new ideas and thoughts, then the "edited by" is handy to let people know something more may've been added to a post they may've just read.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already do that. Do you think I would have made this thread if I hadn't already considered the alternatives?

Sometimes an idea comes after submission. It's different when you read it live, no matter how many times you put in through word processing.

Also, I don't think the software change would be that difficult. I don't know a lot about forum software but I'd imagine that you would just change a simple time value in order to alter this. I've posted on other vbulletein sites that implement the features I am talking about.

Last edited:

- Click Submit

As I said, reading it live is always different, just like reading a speech in front of an audience is always different no matter how many times you rehearse it. There are nuances and tiny changes you might want to make after you've made the post to the boards.

I don't think it's unreasonable to limit the "last edited by..." function to 10-15 minutes. It's not asking for a lot. And I am still willing to compromise on the time if it still seems too much.

The only idea of yours that I actually think would be worth while would be the one to not show the "edited by" indicator until someone else has posted in the thread. That said, I do not think the software can do that.

If it can't, then I think our current way is best. You should not be able to randomly think 10 minutes later of something else to add to your post that ends up completely potentially changing its meaning, or makes it appear you're countering points in advance that someone makes later in the thread, and other sort of things without any indication to anyone in that thread that there's some dirty dealings and misrepresentation going on. Is that a minority of the time? Sure. But I don't see the "edit by" in any way shape or form as some kind of problematic, distracting horrible thing that needs to be banished away. The positives of it are far, far less in my mind than the negatives. Especially taking into account there are numerous ways....from reading in the reply box, reading in preview, writing it in word and coming back to it 10 minutes later before posting, etc...to get much of the benefit from it thus leaving the only benefit to it is the ability to come back and add more to your post without it being known to everyone, and that kind of thing SHOULD be made apparent imho.

Back
Top Bottom