• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lasted edited by...

The only idea of yours that I actually think would be worth while would be the one to not show the "edited by" indicator until someone else has posted in the thread. That said, I do not think the software can do that.

If it can't, then I think our current way is best. You should not be able to randomly think 10 minutes later of something else to add to your post that ends up completely potentially changing its meaning, or makes it appear you're countering points in advance that someone makes later in the thread, and other sort of things without any indication to anyone in that thread that there's some dirty dealings and misrepresentation going on. Is that a minority of the time? Sure. But I don't see the "edit by" in any way shape or form as some kind of problematic, distracting horrible thing that needs to be banished away. The positives of it are far, far less in my mind than the negatives. Especially taking into account there are numerous ways....from reading in the reply box, reading in preview, writing it in word and coming back to it 10 minutes later before posting, etc...to get much of the benefit from it thus leaving the only benefit to it is the ability to come back and add more to your post without it being known to everyone, and that kind of thing SHOULD be made apparent imho.

The bolded part is not what I suggested at all. I suggested that you should be able to edit your post however many times you want within 10 minutes if it's the last post in the thread, and not have it noted to everyone. If someone posts after you, the usual time limit still applies, but if you edit it within that time it will be noted for all to see.

So, given this, the problem you are talking about wouldn't exist. You wouldn't be able to go back and edit a post after someone else has posted in order to get the one up on them.

I suggest the 10 minute time limit because sometimes people make big posts (like I do) and by the time they've done a live read through they might have a couple of things to add or remove. The ten minutes would give them sufficient time while still providing enough of a cut off that smaller posts can't be meddled with too much.

And what I said Orion, at the very start of my post, is that I agree with you if the software can do it. I don't think it can though. And without that part I would think the negatives outweigh the positives.

And what I said Orion, at the very start of my post, is that I agree with you if the software can do it. I don't think it can though. And without that part I would think the negatives outweigh the positives.

Okay, I get you now.

If the software can't do it, then we shouldn't do it; but respectfully, that should be the only reason why this wouldn't be considered.

Back
Top Bottom