• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Last of Us

I watched the third episode today. One of the best TV episodes about human love that I've seen in a long time.

Earlier, I saw a headline about someone complaining about the producers putting gay men in the show. I didn't read the article, so when I watched the episode, I didn't really know what was coming.

When it comes down to it, love is a fundamental human emotion that really has nothing to do with sex or gender. This episode would have been just as powerful if the couple had been heterosexual or lesbian.

My favorable opinion of this series just kicked up a notch.

We agree on something! The episode was fantastic, really showed a long and loving relationship in just a few key scenes.

Anyone watching? I tried playing the video game when it came out and it didn't hold my interest. But the first episode of this has me willing to watch the next.
I had heard of the game. When I saw an advertisement for the show I was anticipating watching it. I like it. I have seen the first and second episodes. Can't wait until the next one. There are so many interesting facets that immediately caught my attention, like the scientist going to autopsy one of the first victims in the morgue, and when the army general asks her opinion on what to do, she answers, "Bomb the city." Chilling. It is a great show so far. Good thread.

I had heard of the game. When I saw an advertisement for the show I was anticipating watching it. I like it. I have seen the first and second episodes. Can't wait until the next one. There are so many interesting facets that immediately caught my attention, like the scientist going to autopsy one of the first victims in the morgue, and when the army general asks her opinion on what to do, she answers, "Bomb the city." Chilling. It is a great show so far. Good thread.
Yeah, that moment when the camera focuses on her as she realizes they're all doomed, and asks for a ride home so she can be with her family in her last moments gutted me.

Yeah, that moment when the camera focuses on her as she realizes they're all doomed, and asks for a ride home so she can be with her family in her last moments gutted me.
Truly. You noticed that. That has to be one of the best scenes I have seen in tv or film in a long time. Remember, that scene was all the more powerful because at the beginning, before she went into the autopsy room, she did not believe anything the general was saying. Then she sees it, and all she knows that she can do is go home. Goodness. You saw that as well.

Some of the right wing response to episode 3 is predictable, "woke! HBO is woke! I'm cancelling HBO subscription rrrrreeeee! (but also cancel culture bad)" Those people will always be angry about something and nobody really cares what they think. A pleasant surprise that it also seems like the episode was just executed so well that even many on that end of the political spectrum loved it.

The other main complaint I keep seeing is that it didn't do a whole lot to "advance the plot" for the main two characters. I think people get so used to shows like this being heavily serialized that they forget other things can tell good stories. The episode did some subtle 'show, don't tell' worldbuilding where we're learning more about society post apocalypse. We learn more about how the governments handled small towns and limited resources in the safe zones they were desperately trying to create, threats faced by isolated survivors, and we do some character building in the limited time Joel and Ellie are shown. Even some fun exploration of a young person's response to ordinary things from our world, with Ellie and the airplane or the seat belt. Joel whines about a middle seat on an airline flight being uncomfortable while Ellie points out he got to fly into the sky.

And we got to see an Emmy-worthy love story about people opening up to each other despite the danger of the world they are in. Flesh out another 20-30 minutes establishing the world and this episode could have been a standalone movie winning Oscars.

Another zombie series

No thanks

Ep3 was an unexpected detour, but was wonderful TV. The series has three strong episodes so far, I'm hopeful this continues.

Ep3 was an unexpected detour, but was wonderful TV. The series has three strong episodes so far, I'm hopeful this continues.
Also just saw the latest episode, and feel the same way. That ending, the view from Bill's bedroom window, as Joel and Ellie drive away, and the music...too much.

Episode 6 was very good, my favorite so far even with how it ends.

Read an article with some criticism on pacing of the show. Comments on the article were wide ranging with some good back and forth from some intelligent posters, some who've played the games and some who haven't. Of course, you had some with bad takes and stupid complaints. Only 3 episodes left in season 1.

This show isn't keeping my attention. I'm actually more interested in a netflix show based on a book series called Lockwood. It's not Andor or Severance, but it'll do in a pinch.

I think my favorite episode so far was episode 5, with Sam and Henry. My favorite part was
when the basement literally exploded with - what are they called? They are not zombies.

For those comparing it to Walking Dead, or “great, another zombie show,” - I can’t stress enough how it is just not like another zombie show.

I think my favorite episode so far was episode 5, with Sam and Henry. My favorite part was
when the basement literally exploded with - what are they called? They are not zombies.

For those comparing it to Walking Dead, or “great, another zombie show,” - I can’t stress enough how it is just not like another zombie show.
Liked the episode as well

Don't really care for the fungus creatures, kinda B movie-ish imo. The Walking Dead really did an excellent job with the make up and special effects.. I'm fine with less action sequences involving the infected, but I know others disagree vehemently.

Think there's a definite attempt by creators to separate TWD and The Last of Us. Hoping we get more flashbacks to 2003 outbreak

Anyone watching? I tried playing the video game when it came out and it didn't hold my interest. But the first episode of this has me willing to watch the next.

I haven't had a television since 1993.

They still have commercials?

Explains why everyone is always so angry.

After one ad break I'm ready to slit my own throat!

Liked the episode as well

Don't really care for the fungus creatures, kinda B movie-ish imo. The Walking Dead really did an excellent job with the make up and special effects.. I'm fine with less action sequences involving the infected, but I know others disagree vehemently.

Think there's a definite attempt by creators to separate TWD and The Last of Us. Hoping we get more flashbacks to 2003 outbreak

Me too. Loved the first episode. I’m always a fan of backstories.

I’m not a fan of Walking Dead at all. I held on the first few seasons, but then it got boring and repetitious. I continued watching because it was a thing my daughter and I did together, but I didn’t enjoy the show at all.

I haven't had a television since 1993.

They still have commercials?

Explains why everyone is always so angry.

After one ad break I'm ready to slit my own throat!
Lol that's kind of impressive actually. I gave up cable around 1998 and haven't missed it but I still have a TV for streaming and my Playstation.

Episode 7 down. Series continues to be a good mix of action and character development, as well as nostalgia (the scenes at the mall should hit all Gen Xers in the feels - whether it's from an apocalypse or just time we understand Ellie's wonder at seeing that 80-90s era mall light up).

Been pleased with this series so far.

Episode 7 down. Series continues to be a good mix of action and character development, as well as nostalgia (the scenes at the mall should hit all Gen Xers in the feels - whether it's from an apocalypse or just time we understand Ellie's wonder at seeing that 80-90s era mall light up).

Been pleased with this series so far.
Took a day off today, since I really do not have weekends. Reading your post, I checked my box and there it was. It will be a good day. Let me get ready.
LastOfUsEpisode7.jpg

What did you guys think of the finale? I haven’t played the game so went in cold. Spoilers below.

Definitely rather went off Joel after he murdered all those people, especially some who were begging for their life. Much as I liked Ellie, I don’t know if she was necessarily worth saving compared to the rest of humanity. Can’t see where a second season would go but I haven’t played the game sequel either.

What did you guys think of the finale? I haven’t played the game so went in cold. Spoilers below.

Definitely rather went off Joel after he murdered all those people, especially some who were begging for their life. Much as I liked Ellie, I don’t know if she was necessarily worth saving compared to the rest of humanity. Can’t see where a second season would go but I haven’t played the game sequel either.
It was okay. Not the best, but okay. As for Joel killing people who gave up when a second before they were trying to cap his ass, I have no problem with that. I actually found myself nodding with approval. Television with a difference.

I finished the series up last night. Overall I was a big fan. Ron Swanson the gay doomsday prepper was my favorite episode. The Episode with Henry and Sam was excellent as well.

I wasn't a huge fan of the finale. It was very short and could have used some more fleshing out. I also thought the shift in tone was very jarring. The series throughout was a pretty gritty and realistic survival horror show. Small groups of armed people were a serious threat. And then suddenly Joel turns into John Wick at the end when it's time to rescue Ellie. I also thought the Fireflies' plan was unbelievably stupid. Ellie was literally irreplaceable. As far as anyone knew she was the only person on the world who was immune. And their plan was to immediately kill her. Not start with a blood sample. Maybe try a sample of bone marrow or cerebral spinal fluid. Hell, they could have even done a brain biopsy if their studies supported that they needed brain tissue to work on the cure. Nope, none of that shit, just kill her immediately. "Hey guys, we have a goose here that lays golden eggs, what do you want me to do with it?" "Shoot it, we're having goose for dinner." Idiots.

Well these seem … different. And I said the same thing but promised my daughter I’d watch. I wasn’t disappointed.
Im about halfway done and it seems decent, although it does indeed feel like another zombie show. Despite the usual tropes it does blow the Walking Dead and its spinoffs out of the water though.

Im about halfway done and it seems decent, although it does indeed feel like another zombie show. Despite the usual tropes it does blow the Walking Dead and its spinoffs out of the water though.

Man I ended up hating TWD so much. And don’t even get me started on the spin-offs.

Reactions: PoS
It mostly copied the game (you can find movie versions of it in YT, where they put together all of the cut scenes and added some gameplay to tie some of the scenes together). You'll notice that the story isn't much, and that should be the case because stories are used only as frames in games, where the gameplay matters more.

Given that, they could have just based the show on the game and came up with new material. For example, what I think is the best part of the show was what took place in Indonesia, and I don't think that appeared in the game.

Also, this also explains the ending of the season, as there's a second part of the game. If you didn't like Walking Dead (i.e., a melodrama with a zombie setting) and if they keep following the game, then the second season will probably be bad.

Read the plan is to cover the 2nd game in two seasons. Makes sense to do this based on what I know about the 2nd game.

Think the writers will take some valid criticisms into consideration for next season but don't think some gamers and those who want nonstop action will be satisfied.

Yes, many differences from TWD but one thing in common is the danger from survivors is often greater than from the dead/infected.

First 3 seasons of TWD were very good, will wait to see how the next 2 seasons of Last of Us goes before comparing how good each were after 3 seasons.

The main problem with Walking Dead, and which might be the same for this one, is that producers need to milk the franchise for all its got. That means no resolution to the main problem affecting all characters, and with that stories involving political intrigue, romance, crime, procedurals, wars, etc., have to be used throughout, until several call it quits and they come up with some resolution, or they run the show to the ground until it's cancelled.

Change the main problem to aliens or foreign invaders or lack of electricity or peak oil, and you get similar.

That's why the second game looks mostly like a teen drama in post-apocalyptic drab.

Back
Top Bottom