• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

lasers

Dang and here I thought that when you said "lasers" in the thread title this thread was going to actually be about laser guns. :(

:2wave: ;)

I've been waiting patiently for one of those since 1969. :)

May have to wait a bit longer...

Here is my set up on my Glock 26 Gen 4 (picture taken on my kitchen counter top). It has a Crimson Trace Lasergrip. I like it a lot, in part because it fits in a standard holster. This is the gun that I use for concealed and/or open carry on most occasions.
View attachment 67153700

Yes, this is about gun control... its about controlling your gun. :) I got to play with one of these at the gunstore yesterday....

View attachment 67153635

I rather liked it. It's 9mm, 7+1, but at 4.5" tall, 6" long and 18oz it could be a pocket gun, and the price is reasonable. I'm actually kind of unsure on the laser, though. With the under-mount, when you raise the gun to eye level you don't really see the dot because the gun is in the way. Now at close quarters I use the pectoral index or center-lock and don't really need a laser for that close... at any greater distance my training and habit is to raise to eye level, letting the sights line up by feel, and again the laser isn't useful in that position. If it is dark enough that I can't see the sights, I probably can't see the target either... in which case I need a LIGHT more than a laser. Thoughts?

19713-1366x768.jpg

I've never fooled with them before. Grew up on iron sights, limited optics on rifles.

I just noted, in playing with the one in the gun store, that when I hit my stance with the gun aimed in iso-lock at eye level, the dot was a smidge below my line of sight where I'm looking over the front sight.

Now if it was hovering right OVER the front sight, confirming my point-of-aim, THAT would be useful. However if I have to break my iso-lock stance to see the laser dot, I'm throwing away the body mechanics I've painstakingly learned to use to align up the shot (just using the sights more for visual confirmation than anything else).

That seems ... well, messed up to me. The dot ought to be visible over the top of the front sight.

We grew up under the same circumstances.

I used to be very negative towards the lasers, but my opinion has now changed based on research and an open mind.

I currently have a Smith & Wesson 642 with CT laser grips and it's an excellent carry weapon.

My training focuses a lot on point shooting because one does always have time to aim using the sites or sometimes the laser.

For a secondary aiming system, I find the laser to be acceptable.

Primary sighting should always be either with the sights, or point shooting based on practiced discipline.

Back
Top Bottom