• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Largest Space Battle in Videogame History

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Largest space battle in history claims 2,900 ships, untold virtual lives

war_fleet_940.jpg

In less than an hour, a battle of interstellar proportions will break out in the MMORPG Eve Online, a spacefaring simulation with its own politics, economies, and wars — all controlled exclusively by players. Between three and four thousand pilots are set to do battle in one of the largest fights ever on Eve, which you can watch live below or on Twitch.tv.

The battle is expected to rival the legendary Battle of Asakai as one of the most epic battles in Eve history — which totalled equivalent to $20,000 in losses for the losing team. Today's battle doesn't yet have its own name, but is taking place in a system known as 6VDT between two of the largest player alliances in the game, TEST Alliance and the CFC. In order to keep lag to a minimum, since the battle takes place on just one server, Eve's developers will likely slow down time more than 90 percent so its server can process all player actions. This means today's battle could take several hours to reach its explosive conclusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live updates by T.C. Sottek

Wow. :shock: According to the article, the battle involved over five thousand different players duking it out on both sides at the same time.

The whole thing must have lagged like nobody's business, but the sheer scale of it still almost makes me tempted to buy a subscription. :lol:

Here are some photos of the "carnage."

Extreme close up so only the tiny ships are visible.

Screen_Shot_2013-07-28_at_3_52_19_PM.jpg

Medium range.

Screen_Shot_2013-07-28_at_6_33_26_PM.jpg

Long range.

eve fqENlqO.jpg

Whole battle.

Screen_Shot_2013-07-28_at_4_44_07_PM.jpg

:eek:

Last edited:

Wow. :shock: According to the article, the battle involved over five thousand different players duking it out on both sides at the same time.

The whole thing must have lagged like nobody's business, but the sheer scale of it still almost makes me tempted to buy a subscription. :lol:

View attachment 67151174

Medium range.

View attachment 67151176

Long range.

View attachment 67151171

Whole battle.

View attachment 67151172

I will admit that I don't really understand how video games work since the early days of arcades, but this is really amazing.

It brings to mind the Matrix. Is that a dated reference, also. 5000 people playing the same game. That's amazing!

This could be the leading edge oF participant mass media sports. Imagine if something like this could replace real wars and slake the blood thirst of societies like ours that seem compelled to have a war every 30 to 40 years.

I will admit that I don't really understand how video games work since the early days of arcades, but this is really amazing.

It brings to mind the Matrix. Is that a dated reference, also. 5000 people playing the same game. That's amazing!

This could be the leading edge oF participant mass media sports. Imagine if something like this could replace real wars and slake the blood thirst of societies like ours that seem compelled to have a war every 30 to 40 years.

Professional StarCraft players are already basically superstars in countries like South Korea.

Though, I have to admit. I'm kind of ambivalent as to whether replacing war with videogames would be a good idea.

I mean... Would nuclear armageddon break out every time someone used a cheat code? :lol:

That looks fantastic. I generally avoid MMO's like the plague, but I must say I'm tempted. I did just buy a 32" monitor...

View attachment 67151174

Medium range.

View attachment 67151176

Long range.

View attachment 67151171

Whole battle.

View attachment 67151172

It's good to see that 20-something virgins have found a use for their ample free time.

That looks fantastic. I generally avoid MMO's like the plague, but I must say I'm tempted. I did just buy a 32" monitor...

My major problem with MMOs is that it takes such an obscenely long time to get anywhere playing them. You basically have to treat them like a second life if you want to achieve anything even remotely resembling the levels of material success and notoriety held by any of the players fighting in that battle.

Speaking of which, I sincerely hope that the side that lost had all of their ships insured. A loss like that could very well set a player back months.

Some of the bigger ships in that game carry roughly the same value as a real life car, from what I've heard. :doh

Last edited:

Sounds like a nice idea in theory, but wouldn't the loser just, y'know, go to war afterwards?

My major problem with MMOs is that it takes such an obscenely long time to get anywhere playing them. You basically have to treat them like a second life if you want to achieve anything even remotely resembling the levels of material success and notoriety held by any of the players fighting in that battle.

Speaking of which, I sincerely hope that the side that lost had all of their ships insured. A loss like that could very well set a player back months.

Some of the bigger ships in that game carry roughly the same value as a real life car, from what I've heard. :doh

I've heard the same thing. Someone really ought to write an economics dissertation on the EVE virtual economy. It's fascinating. For more on EVE, check out entry #1 on both of these lists:

The 6 Most Spectacular Dick Moves in Online Gaming History | Cracked.com

The 7 Most Impressive Dick Moves in Online Gaming History | Cracked.com

Some of the visuals in Eve are incredible. You can play it for 2 weeks for free, and is well worth trying. Be aware that it has a very large learning curve and insanely deep gameplay.

Here is a brief writeup on just one person who played Eve Online: Sean Smith (diplomat) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ah! Thanks for the reminder. My IT guy was involved and gave me a wonderfully in depth explanation of the whole thing. Unfortunately all I really got out of it was that his side won and that the CFC group won. I also got what CFC stands for and it has nothing to do with chemicals and ozone.:lamo

Stay away. That is a horrible game that I broke my no mmo rule for.

Just stay away.

If you want a challenging fun game with a steep learning curve try Dota 2. Save yourself $15/month

Sounds like a nice idea in theory, but wouldn't the loser just, y'know, go to war afterwards?

Probably not all that well thought out. It could just create a state of perpetual war.

If the inventors spent all of their time crating new apps instead of better real world weapons, though, perpetual virtual war wouldn't be that bad for the civilians.

Certainly not as bad as real war.

Probably not all that well thought out. It could just create a state of perpetual war.

If the inventors spent all of their time crating new apps instead of better real world weapons, though, perpetual virtual war wouldn't be that bad for the civilians.

Certainly not as bad as real war.

That reminds me of a really ****ty 80's movie that I can't remember the name of. In essence, warfare had been eliminated in favor of a sport, of sorts, in which guys would pilot large anime-style mecha robots and beat the **** out of each other. Not as bad as a real war, but probably just as hard to prevent from escalating.

That reminds me of a really ****ty 80's movie that I can't remember the name of. In essence, warfare had been eliminated in favor of a sport, of sorts, in which guys would pilot large anime-style mecha robots and beat the **** out of each other. Not as bad as a real war, but probably just as hard to prevent from escalating.

The movie you're thinking of is Robot Jox.

Back
Top Bottom