• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Laptop Cooling pads

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So my PC overheats from time to time, especially this month, and I've decided to invest in a laptop cooler because that's one of the fastest solutions I found. I have a 4-5years old laptop, i5, ASUS, with video card ATI Radeon mobility 5145, and which I plan to replace either at Christmas or shortly after.

Question is: Which one of you guys has a laptop and do you have a cooling pad. If not, what do you do to keep it from overheating if it overheats?
And what kind of cooling pad do you guys have? If you have a link to it would be great. I already have a option in mind but I am open to suggestions till tomorrow or the day after when I buy it. It's smth like this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cooler+...olsp-app02-177?id=1218313907686&skuId=2193357

Also, how effective is it for you?
Cheers.

Last edited:
So my PC overheats from time to time, especially this month, and I've decided to invest in a laptop cooler because that's one of the fastest solutions I found. I have a 4-5years old laptop, i5, ASUS, with video card ATI Radeon mobility 5145, and which I plan to replace either at Christmas or shortly after.

Question is: Which one of you guys has a laptop and do you have a cooling pad. If not, what do you do to keep it from overheating if it overheats?
And what kind of cooling pad do you guys have? If you have a link to it would be great. I already have a option in mind but I am open to suggestions till tomorrow or the day after when I buy it. It's smth like this one: Cooler Master Notepal U3 Laptop Cooling Pad R9-NBC-8PCK-GP - Best Buy

Cheers.

I have a 3-4 year old laptop and do not have a cooling pad. I just keep it out of direct sunlight and keep it on a solid surface (such as a desk), occasionally I turn it off to cool down. Download Speedfan, it's an app that allows you to see what temperature parts of your computer are at for example at the moment (in centigrade):
GPU: 61C
HDO: 45C
Temp 1: 88C
Temp 2: 88C
Core 0: 89C
Core 1: 89C

Also it is 18C outside and sunny.

Last edited:
I have a 3-4 year old laptop and do not have a cooling pad. I just keep it out of direct sunlight and keep it on a solid surface (such as a desk), occasionally I turn it off to cool down. Download Speedfan, it's an app that allows you to see what temperature parts of your computer are at for example at the moment (in centigrade):
GPU: 61C
HDO: 45C
Temp 1: 88C
Temp 2: 88C
Core 0: 89C
Core 1: 89C

I use realtemp.

My cores are anywhere between 60-68C... but if I play a game, they can rise to 80-88C (depending on the game). I have autoshutdown at 100C and an alarm put in at 90C. When I run some software program, like, say, xilinx webpack, and work on smth, the temp rises 10-15C too during simulations.

Yeah, I do the same thing, keep in on the desk (but it's a pretty thick desk and heat transfer doesn't really help) but it's over 30C in my room at midday.

I use realtemp.

My cores are anywhere between 60-68C... but if I play a game, they can rise to 80-88C (depending on the game). I have autoshutdown at 100C and an alarm put in at 90C.

I have Internet Explorer, ITunes and Sticky notes open.....
My computer isn't that advanced to have auto shutdown or an alarm.

Yeah, I do the same thing, keep in on the desk (but it's a pretty thick desk and heat transfer doesn't really help) but it's over 30C in my room at midday.

Problem is, the house I'm in has a roof made of insulation and I am on the top floor, therefore it gets really hot up here and my laptop overheats anyway.

I have Internet Explorer, ITunes and Sticky notes open.....
My computer isn't that advanced to have auto shutdown or an alarm.

Problem is, the house I'm in has a roof made of insulation and I am on the top floor, therefore it gets really hot up here and my laptop overheats anyway.
I feel bad for you :(
Yeah, I'm running antivirus, sticky notes (omg, so good to remind things), steam and other things. so it does have a load of things to handle. but still. The first time I noticed it had overheating problems was last summer. This summer it's gotten worse. 1 year on the laptop does take it's toll I guess.

I feel bad for you :(
Yeah, I'm running antivirus, sticky notes (omg, so good to remind things), steam and other things. so it does have a load of things to handle. but still. The first time I noticed it had overheating problems was last summer. This summer it's gotten worse. 1 year on the laptop does take it's toll I guess.

And yet you still have a cooler laptop than me..
I hate this piece of ****.
The graphics aren't good but it does have a 451 GB internal hard drive along with Intel i5 and windows 7 (the best os)

Have you thought about getting the internals cleaned out? Sometimes the overheating is from dust being sucked in by the cooling fans and blocking the heat exchange

I have two laptops - both older models - they are convertible laptops (means the screen rotates and flattens so I can draw on it) and the Fujitsu gets really hot in just one part but it is easily cleaned. I have a similar Toshiba at work which is infamous for getting dusty and overheating. That one would be best cleaned out monthly but it's such a hassle.

Have you thought about getting the internals cleaned out? Sometimes the overheating is from dust being sucked in by the cooling fans and blocking the heat exchange

I have two laptops - both older models - they are convertible laptops (means the screen rotates and flattens so I can draw on it) and the Fujitsu gets really hot in just one part but it is easily cleaned. I have a similar Toshiba at work which is infamous for getting dusty and overheating. That one would be best cleaned out monthly but it's such a hassle.

Yeah, but I don't have a compressed air can and I am looking for a more permanent solution. This cooler pad will work well with a new laptop too.

-- a compressed air can --

Ouch!

I meant having a service person take it apart for cleaning. I'm not keen on the idea of compressed air blasting debris through my laptop innards...

And what kind of cooling pad do you guys have? If you have a link to it would be great. I already have a option in mind but I am open to suggestions till tomorrow or the day after when I buy it. It's smth like this one: Cooler Master Notepal U3 Laptop Cooling Pad R9-NBC-8PCK-GP - Best Buy

Cheers.

I've tried this before. With a computer that's already ailing, I'd say, personally, save your money.

There's a couple things that are likely to be the main culprit.

1. It's dirty on the inside. A cooling pad might help stop it from getting any worse than it currently is, but it's not going to make much improvement, and over time, you will still wind up having something break from the strain. Why not just clean it out?

2. The fan is going out. Same story as above, basically, except you'll need to replace a part. If the laptop would require some kind of really expensive fan, then put the cooling pad money towards just getting a new laptop. They're cheap these days.

Basically, buying a cooling pad is money spent delaying the inevitable, when chances are, you could just fix it instead. And if it's just grime that needs cleaning, it won't even cost you anything. Why pay money to put it off?

I hate to suggest the stupid question, but have you opened it up and cleaned it?

Laptops over time, like all fanned based computers accumulate dust that traps heat. You may be able to avoid needing a cooling pad at all if you can clean out parts of your laptop. You should see the amount of dust that comes out of 5+ year old desktops. Dust Bunnies? How about Dust Blue Whales.

Yeah, but I don't have a compressed air can and I am looking for a more permanent solution. This cooler pad will work well with a new laptop too.

This isn't a Mac is it?

If it's not a Mac, it should be easy to open it up and use an old tooth brush to clear it out. I bet you there are huge stores of dust in your laptop.

I hate to suggest the stupid question, but have you opened it up and cleaned it?

Laptops over time, like all fanned based computers accumulate dust that traps heat. You may be able to avoid needing a cooling pad at all if you can clean out parts of your laptop. You should see the amount of dust that comes out of 5+ year old desktops. Dust Bunnies? How about Dust Blue Whales.

It's not a MAC. I didn't open it up yet but I never used a toothbrush or such to clean my laptop. I only used compressed air, which atm, I don't have.

I did remove the keyboard to help with the cooling.

Cheers.

The overheating is simply a symptom of a problem like the cooling fan being ineffective most likely due to dust (a great insulator) buildup. Take the machine to a service shop for diagnosis/repair or put the cooling pad money aside to help fund the eventual replacement of the machine. Masking a symptom is a bad idea (possibly adding condensation moisture to the mix) and does nothing to address the cause of the symptom.

Cheers.

I've used cooling pads off and on throughout my life as my dying PCs would need them. All the things really are is a chunk of metal with fans attached. There aren't a whole lot of different parts or variances between manufacturers.

I think the one you picked would work great. Cooler Master is one of my trusted brands, they are absolutely phenomenal. The only thing I would check with that cooling pad is whether or not the angle of the laptop is adjustable. It looks like it might not be able to lie completely flat.

Here's the official link:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=10079&product_name=NotePal%20U3%20Plus

Last edited:

Cheers.

Hmm... got small screw drivers and a bit of balls? Because you can most likely fix or levitate the problem by cleaning the airvents and fan from dust. Depending on the model, you should be able to get to the processor ventilator and clean it. Often the ventilator has casing that can be removed and it is there that gunk can get stuck and hinder the fan in working properly.

So
my PC overheats from time to time, especially this month, and I've decided to invest in a laptop cooler because that's one of the fastest solutions I found. I have a 4-5years old laptop, i5, ASUS, with video card ATI Radeon mobility 5145, and which I plan to replace either at Christmas or shortly after.

Cheers.

Lap Top Cooling pads are one of those scam items that sounds good but really aren't neccessary.

Usually your typical laptop just needs to be thoroughly cleaned as dust and lint slowly clog up the internal heat sinks for the GPU and CPU.

It wasn't designed to have EXTRA air blown through it as you already have internal fans running and IF it needed extra cooling capacity the manufacturer would have taken care of that.

There is this product that they're advertizing on the radio that " mist water " into the condenser coils of your air conditioning unit. Supppsedly lowers energy usage.

It is one of the most destructive and irresponsible products on the market and akin to after market coolers.

Lap Top Cooling pads are one of those scam items that sounds good but really aren't neccessary.

Usually your typical laptop just needs to be thoroughly cleaned as dust and lint slowly clog up the internal heat sinks for the GPU and CPU.

It wasn't designed to have EXTRA air blown through it as you already have internal fans running and IF it needed extra cooling capacity the manufacturer would have taken care of that.

There is this product that they're advertizing on the radio that " mist water " into the condenser coils of your air conditioning unit. Supppsedly lowers energy usage.

It is one of the most destructive and irresponsible products on the market and akin to after market coolers.

Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I already ordered it and it's coming in tomorrow. :)
If it turns out to be scam, well, it wouldn't the first scam I fell for.

The whole thing cost me 20euros, so yeah. That's like 20 beers where I live. I can take that hit to my budget.

Oh and cleaning them yourself isn't dificult but it helps to be a bit mechanically inclined.

IF you decide to do it on your own, get a few dixie cups, label them according to specific hardwate types ( screws ) and take your time.

Pick up some 90+ % concentrated alcohol and Q-Tips to clean all ribon connections and don't force anything into or out of it's receptor.

They all have small latches, usually flip up's that hold them in place.

If you want to do it by the book you'll need to purchase a grounding strap ( or make one ) because the typical electro-static shock we get ( actually give ) to door knobs, wives , brothers and sisters etc is somewhere around 1000 volts DC and can take out a mother board.

Well,I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I
already ordered it and it's coming in tomorrow. :)
If it turns out to be scam, well, it wouldn't the first scam I fell for.

The whole thing cost me 20euros, so yeah. That's like 20 beers where I live. I can take that hit to my budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say your'e succeptable to these things and maybe "scam" isn't the right word but your PC or laptop is designed to run normally and stay cool outdoors and usually when you have to add anything like a aftermatket arbitrary cooler it's a good indicator that somethings wrong.

I fix all kinds of little electronic devices including lap tops, cell phones, PLCs etc and I haven't seen one overheat that didn't have a ton of dust and debris lodged in its heat sinks.

Now if your'e overclocking or adding hardware you may need to add additional cooling but that't typicay done internally.

Back
Top Bottom