• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Language

mikeey

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
were did u AMERICANs get your Language from, have u not got a language
of your own like us SCOTS,just second hand stuff well well.We have Gaelic
in the highlands of Scotland,is it not about time u did something about that.

what do u say second hand rose haha.

mikeey

shuamort sorry m8 i made a mistake, i for got about the true

AMERICANS

Thanks for your advice

but just the same we speak our language here, and i take it u do the same.

thank U.
mikeey

I the US we have three very distinct accents and their derivatives. My question is where do these accents come from? What part of the UK did they originate in. We have New England, The South and a standard accent that covers most of the rest of the country. Naturally there are variations. The South is different in the Carolinas than in Tennessee and the Deep south along with Texas is also slightly different but the "southern drawl" is discernible in all areas. New England varies from place to place but again the similarities are greater than the differences. Where and when do these accents come from and occur in the history of the American language?

shuamort said:
Well, we have over 800 indigenous languages in this broad land. How many did you say Scotland has again?

Correct, INDIGENOUS which means that unless you are a Red Indian they have nothing whatsoever to do with you.
I pity the Indians and what has happened to their land.You colonialists have turned it into a human dumping ground. A country founded on genocide.

mikeey said:

mikeey

A promising thread Mickey.I have awarded it 5 stars but some arsehole has given you just one.Hence the 3 stars.

Aryan Imperium said:
Correct, INDIGENOUS which means that unless you are a Red Indian they have nothing whatsoever to do with you.
I pity the Indians and what has happened to their land.You colonialists have turned it into a human dumping ground. A country founded on genocide.

Let us not get into a genocide brawl here, we all know that the Nazi supporters are really the ones who should be doing the complaining.

By saying "You" you seem to mean that because I am an American, that my family line had something to do with the extermination of the Natives. What if I told you that you're wrong, and my family came here a generation ago? Am I still plauged with the guilt of doing such acts?

mikeey said:

mikeey
As I understand it, the Irish settled Scotland. Isn't that how the Scots got their name? for the Scott families of Ireland that settled there, and subsequently brought THEIR Gaelic language?

So ya wee littul scutsmun ye, yer 'avin a go et r language, an ye dun even 'ave yer oon. wha a pri'e PICTure ya've gun an pain'ed.

Noble Scots with there own language, AS IF. Your Highlanders speak second hand Irish-Gaelic.

INUYASHA
Actually, it's General American (aka Midwestern or Standard as you said), Southern, and NorthEast, (not new England, which is a subset of NorthEast).

Where do they Come from? the people that use them :p Unless it's an obvious transplant accent, and has the same characteristics as the initial accent, which most American accents don't, it come from an amalgamation of several Dialects, accent and languages. It would be hard to say, the Western New York Accent came from this county in Britian... no, because it has been influenced by Germans Speaking English, Irish, Enlgish, French, their dialects and accents. All told, I would bet most areas could trace 25-50 dialects and accents of several languages, over the life of the country. Not to mention the effect Native tribes had on some early sttlements too.

Thank you Knight- that was a very informative post.

By saying "You" you seem to mean that because I am an American, that my family line had something to do with the extermination of the Natives. What if I told you that you're wrong, and my family came here a generation ago? Am I still plauged with the guilt of doing such acts?
I too see a problem with his post. It's rather racist.

Aryan Imperium said:
that was almost perfect. i'm not sure it was completely genocide, although a lot of tribes were lost. but then again, even the Native Americans are not native to american at all, but migrated from russia via the berring strait.

t125eagle said:
even the Native Americans are not native to american at all, but migrated from russia via the berring strait.

I have heard this a lot and I'd like to know where i can find something reliable about this theory. I am interested in ti from a linguistic point of view. Are "Amer-Indian languages related at all to any of the languages found in North Eastern Russia or Manchuria?

I have heard this a lot and I'd like to know where i can find something reliable about this theory. I am interested in ti from a linguistic point of view. Are "Amer-Indian languages related at all to any of the languages found in North Eastern Russia or Manchuria?

I dunno but I actually thought the native americans came from Asia, which would explain why they look sorta asian.

Inuyasha said:

Now that is a DAMN GOOD QUESTION! Bravo. :clap: Unfortunately I don't have the answer, but you gave me something to look into. Keep this thread in mind, as I will also, and should I come upon any answers I shall post them, and I hope you likewise.

Honestly, that really is one of the best questions I have seen on these forums yet. At least in my Opinion. Cheers!:applaud

:good_job: :respekt:

Very interesting site. I am also googeling around to see about different comparitive¡ grammars but haven't found much so far.

Thanks Knight.

Here are a couple of observations of my own for what ever they are worth.

The northern people, the Eskimos or Inuit look very Asian and that is true all across the North even in Greenland and Norway. How about that girl from Iceland? Bjork. But the Amer-Indian Native American looks much less Asian. The facial features are different. Bur as you go south into Mexico and Central America they take on a more pronounced Asian look like the Miskito people of Nicaragua. Then there are people in South America who look very Polynesian. That is often explained by the Pacific Islanders "immigrating" across the ocean to Easter Island and the Galapagos. The theory is 90% convincing.

One more thing i noticed that the Nisei (second generation in the US) Japanese and the Amer-Indians of North America have a similar accent and speech patterns. I wonder then what that means?

Inuyasha said:
Very interesting site. I am also googeling around to see about different comparitive¡ grammars but haven't found much so far.

Thanks Knight.

Here are a couple of observations of my own for what ever they are worth.

The northern people, the Eskimos or Inuit look very Asian and that is true all across the North even in Greenland and Norway. How about that girl from Iceland? Bjork. But the Amer-Indian Native American looks much less Asian. The facial features are different. Bur as you go south into Mexico and Central America they take on a more pronounced Asian look like the Miskito people of Nicaragua. Then there are people in South America who look very Polynesian. That is often explained by the Pacific Islanders "immigrating" across the ocean to Easter Island and the Galapagos. The theory is 90% convincing.

One more thing i noticed that the Nisei (second generation in the US) Japanese and the Amer-Indians of North America have a similar accent and speech patterns. I wonder then what that means?

Well, there are a few things to remember in both language and accent. Most importanty, unlike looks, they are totally learned.

:eek:t As far as looks, also, don't think Han Chinese, Japanese or Other South East Asians. Facially, i see much more similarity in Mongols and North-east Russians. From what I have learned, most people think the largest Migrations came out of the area of Mongolia. Also Separate West North-American (from Alaska and Canada down to Central America), East North-American, and South American.

I have read that as much as 25% of Amerindians east of the Mississippi havehad "exposer to white DNA" (I could be more PC in this whole thing, but I am lazy right now), prior to columbus. /END :eek:t

But really, this is a diversion. It is really the language I am more interested in.

This article is a start:

http://www.bartleby.com/65/na/NatvAmlang.html
Asia is generally accepted as the original home of the Native Americans, although linguistic investigations have not yet established any definite link between the Native American languages and those spoken in Asia or elsewhere in the Eastern Hemisphere. Some scholars postulate a connection between the Eskimo-Aleut family and several other families or subfamilies (among them Altaic, Paleosiberian, Finno-Ugric, and Sino-Tibetan). Others see a relationship between members of the Nadene stock (to which Navajo and Apache belong) and Sino-Tibetan, to which Chinese belongs; however, such theories remain unproved.

Back to the original question, a show called "The Story of English" was on TV a few years back, and there is a book out by the same title. Very informative about how English came about, and how the variations of it came about as well.

UtahBill said:
Back to the original question, a show called "The Story of English" was on TV a few years back, and there is a book out by the same title. Very informative about how English came about, and how the variations of it came about as well.

I didn't see the program but i wish i had. maybe they will put it on again. I have the book and it is a great approach to linguistics for the layman. it was written by Mario Pei and there is another companion book to it called "The Story of Language". Both are available on Amazon.

Akbar - that site is very interesting. Interesting also as it mentioned is the lack of grammatical studies and the reasons for it mentioned in the article.

Knight- I think you have hit on an interesting point. You say accents, inflections etc are learned. I agree. When it comes to the case I mentioned with the Nisei Japanese, the accent I mentioned is only among certain" Nisei. Those who are over 60 and were raised in the camps. many of these camps were in close proximity to Native American people and their lands. I wonder if that might not have been an influencing factor. The accent is not prevalent among Japanese who were on the East Coast or in Hawaii.

BTW this is a great thread. really informative and shows the best in Internet forums IMO.

Back
Top Bottom