• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque - CNN.com

I think what they are doing is in somewhat poor taste but they have every right to do so. It's called religious freedom and the people who oppose these seem to be borderline hysterical about Islam, as if every Muslim has dynamite strapped to him somewhere on his body.

I think it is kind of wrong to label mainstream Islam with 9/11, It was fundamentalist Muslims who carried out 9/11. Just like Mormons don't like to be labeled with polygamy and Christians don't like to be labeled with the creationists and extreme homophobes.

There is nothing redeeming about the Islamic faith, fundamentalist or extremist. The Koran is filled with hatred toward nonbelievers. I wonder if "they" would let us build a Christian church in Mecca?

Somewhat poor taste? Honestly, we just bend over and grab our ankles to look tolerant.

Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque - CNN.com

I think what they are doing is in somewhat poor taste but they have every right to do so. It's called religious freedom and the people who oppose these seem to be borderline hysterical about Islam, as if every Muslim has dynamite strapped to him somewhere on his body.

I think it is kind of wrong to label mainstream Islam with 9/11, It was fundamentalist Muslims who carried out 9/11. Just like Mormons don't like to be labeled with polygamy and Christians don't like to be labeled with the creationists and extreme homophobes.

well.....i'm a proud liberal and i think we need to have some way of stopping these morons. it's offensive that they want to build a mosque there.

There is nothing redeeming about the Islamic faith, fundamentalist or extremist. The Koran is filled with hatred toward nonbelievers. I wonder if "they" would let us build a Christian church in Mecca?

Somewhat poor taste? Honestly, we just bend over and grab our ankles to look tolerant.

and The Bible isn't? This is a double edged sword.

well.....i'm a proud liberal and i think we need to have some way of stopping these morons. it's offensive that they want to build a mosque there.

Actually appears that these Muslims do it with all good intentions, the Cordoba iniative has a good reputation and is out to improve Muslim relations with the western world.

@ BCR -- The Bible has a redeeming New Testament. And even though the Old Testament is hard line, there is no comparison to the Koran.

If the Cordoba Initative's goal is really to: "...aim to achieve a tipping point in Muslim-West relations within the next decade, steering the world back to the course of mutual recognition and respect and away from heightened tensions," as it says on their website, they wouldn't be building a Mosque anywhere near Ground Zero.

When I read that the Cordoba Initiative condemns the actions of extremists, I'll buy their mission. But as long as Muslims are not allowing their women to be educated, stoning them to death for adultery, making them cover their bodies in shame, etc., etc., etc., and the Cordoba Initiative stands mutely by, I'll not believe a word of it.

and The Bible isn't? This is a double edged sword.

Not even close to compare. Why is it that anytime people speak honestly about whats actually in the Qur'an someone always comes in and makes this ridiculous and blatantly false comparison to Christianity?

Do a quick search of freedom of religion to equal rights in Christian and Muslim dominated countries and get back to us.

No they (the Saudi Arabians) woulld not only never permit any other religion to erect a structure in either Mecca or anywhere throughout Saudi Arabia, additionally Christmas decorations and cards depicting religious dates are also banned, bibles if found in one's luggage on entry to Saudi Arabia are confiscated.
It is quite common throughout many Arabic Nations to permit any other religion to be practised.
Even to the point of having permitting other religions to have structures erected.

Actually appears that these Muslims do it with all good intentions, the Cordoba iniative has a good reputation and is out to improve Muslim relations with the western world.

in this case, i don't care about their intentions. why in the hell would they think building a mosque on ground zero would do anything but inflame emotions? i have no issue with muslims in general, but good god, they need to have some respect for us.

redeeming? even Jesus said himself he wasn't out to redeem the old testament but to fulfill it, sounds like he approves of it!
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB).

Last edited:
Then how dare we build damn churches on grounds once owned by Indians, what complete a-holes we are being!

I said I thought it was being done in poor taste but they are protected by the constitution.

Actually it has nothing to do with good intentions.
Islam believes that their religion is the easiest path to follow to gain whatever reward after having lived life as the Koran stipulates.
They cannot comprehend that anyone would want to follow any other than the 'easy' path, thus they cannot understand the reason even though their Koran supposedly tells them to respect other faiths.
The Islam ists believe that for every person they convert to their Islamic faith they will get 'brownie points' when they die.

well Hot damn...Since Muslim countries don't allow religious freedom that makes them Muslims over here exempt from the constitution, never knew it worked that way!

I'm just defending the constitution here, and The Bible is filled with absolutely atrocious and horrible things. Maybe it's no Koran but it's no Buddha-Dharma

and also I am willing to gurantee none of you guys know two damn things about the Koran, I mean sure you heard an evil verse here and there but have you actually studied it?

@ BCR -- You aren't defending the U.S. Constitution, that's just your last-ditch attempt to justify your position. No one has said this can't be done, they're saying it is in extremely poor taste and has ulterior motives. As to 'studying the Koran,' hahahahaha!! That'll be the day. But I did spend several hours the other day trying to find scholars who had found redeeming qualities in it -- I could find nothing.

and also I am willing to gurantee none of you guys know two damn things about the Koran, I mean sure you heard an evil verse here and there but have you actually studied it?

Actually YES I HAVE, read the English Translation of that book.

What a horrible assumption to think that no one here knows anything about the Qu'ran. That comment just said a lot about you.

The U.S. constitution clearly states religious freedom. I mean how can we deny the property owners the right to build a religious Mosque?

Then how dare we build damn churches on grounds once owned by Indians, what complete a-holes we are being!

I said I thought it was being done in poor taste but they are protected by the constitution.

Always throughout History, to the Victors go the spoils of conflict.

What a horrible assumption to think that no one here knows anything about the Qu'ran. That comment just said a lot about you.

Exactly how is it a horrible assumption to assume the majority of people have not studied the Koran? I mean please enlighten me, I'm going out on a limb here and saying most haven't. I'll take JuJu's word that he has read it which means I'm wrong to make that bet but still, come on.

yeah, we were assholes. yes, they are protected, but who cares? they should back the hell off. it's not just pooor taste, really, it's like rubbing salt in a huge gaping wound, and really, it's a stupid move.

redeeming? even Jesus said himself he wasn't out to redeem the old testament but to fulfill it, sounds like he approves of it!
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB).

Someone obviously has not read the Bible, nor has any clue what the Bible is all about. Jesus came in fullfillment of the Scriptures.

It's sad to think that this mosque will be built before they start rebuilding the WTC site.

I agree it's in poor taste and wouldn't recommend it at all, but they have the right to do so. That's all I am trying to convey, sure it looks like a dirty move but maybe they build this mosque to show people hey "most of us are peaceful people, we a sorry this happened" and are trying to mend relations. If that's the case I see nothing wrong.

It's not "on the WTC site." It's a couple blocks away.
So, conservatives: How big a "no mosque zone" shall we establish in NYC? Should we also establish similar zones around areas where crimes have been committed by Christians? Is the "no religious building zone's" size standard or does it scale with the number of fatalities?

It's a community center with a mosque in it. They're trying to reach out to the community and mend fences. And you're spitting in their face and calling them the enemy. You are anti-American.

Back
Top Bottom