• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lake Powell Soon To Drop Below Benchmark

HikerGuy83

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

In the next week or two, the water level at Lake Powell is likely to dip below a key target elevation of 3,525 feet above sea level — a benchmark water managers have long tried to avoid — according to Nick Williams, power manager for the Bureau of Reclamation’s Upper Colorado River Basin.

The lake was 100% full in 1980.

Scientists are concerned that dry soil conditions will lead to another poor year for runoff. Although snowpack on April 1 was either at or slightly below 100 percent of average in each of the past two years, runoff was lower than expected.

Not sure what this means for AZ or CA. Seems like AZ needs to be trying to figure out how to do something different.

Man, that really sucks. That lake is paradise when it's full of water. Spent many weeks there floating around and doing water sports.

I have (in the process) of returning to AZ.

Water was a concern for me and that isn't going away.

It isn't discussed much.

In the next week or two, the water level at Lake Powell is likely to dip below a key target elevation of 3,525 feet above sea level — a benchmark water managers have long tried to avoid — according to Nick Williams, power manager for the Bureau of Reclamation’s Upper Colorado River Basin.

Scientists are concerned that dry soil conditions will lead to another poor year for runoff. Although snowpack on April 1 was either at or slightly below 100 percent of average in each of the past two years, runoff was lower than expected.

Not sure what this means for AZ or CA. Seems like AZ needs to be trying to figure out how to do something different.
Maybe Palm Springs and other places should stop wasting water of ****ing golf courses in the middle of the desert.

April 1st hasn't happened yet. You're posting an article from last year.

Ack !!!!

Thank you for pointing that out.

I did look at the date......I thought. :(

My apologies.

Water is still a concern for me. I will see if I can find something more recent.

Two decades of aridification and spiraling water demands already had exposed more than 120 feet of Glen Canyon Dam concrete before the last year sapped another 45 feet. That plunge caused the National Park Service to press the concrete crew into action so at least one access for speedboats and houseboats would remain as the season warms to life in March. It's doing so at a once-submerged and long-forgotten ramp, the only one with immediate access to the shore.

Two decades of aridification and spiraling water demands already had exposed more than 120 feet of Glen Canyon Dam concrete before the last year sapped another 45 feet. That plunge caused the National Park Service to press the concrete crew into action so at least one access for speedboats and houseboats would remain as the season warms to life in March. It's doing so at a once-submerged and long-forgotten ramp, the only one with immediate access to the shore.
You don't think it's part of a cycle? I operated a bunch of recreation areas in Northern CA. In the mid-2000's we had a drought that lasted about 3 years. The winter of the 3rd year it started snowing in the Sierras again and the next few years after that. The lakes came back. Why don't you think the same thing will occur with Lake Powell? I've been there several times, by the way - one of the Planet of the Apes movies was shot there. (Powell).

You don't think it's part of a cycle? I operated a bunch of recreation areas in Northern CA. In the mid-2000's we had a drought that lasted about 3 years. The winter of the 3rd year it started snowing in the Sierras again and the next few years after that. The lakes came back. Why don't you think the same thing will occur with Lake Powell? I've been there several times, by the way - one of the Planet of the Apes movies was shot there. (Powell).

I do hope it is a cycle. In fact, here is historical data on the lake. 3,700 is max fill. But, we can pull the lake pretty hard pretty fast.

I don't know the full extent to which we rely on it for agriculture....but I do believe it would be an issue if the lake "dried up".

1646497782693.png

Back
Top Bottom