• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lake Mead plummets to unprecedented low, exposing original 1971 water intake valve

Loulit01

What We've Got Here is a Failure to Communicate
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The West is in the grips of a climate change-fueled megadrought, and Lake Mead – the largest manmade reservoir in the country and a source of water for millions of people – has fallen to an unprecedented low. The lake’s plummeting water level has exposed one of the reservoir’s original water intake valves for the first time, officials say.
The valve had been in service since 1971 but can no longer draw water, according to the Southern Nevada Water Authority, which is responsible for managing water resources for 2.2 million people in Southern Nevada, including Las Vegas.

Across the West, extreme drought is already taking a toll this year and summertime heat hasn’t even arrived yet. Drought conditions worsened in the Southwest over the past week, the US Drought Monitor reported Thursday. Extreme and exceptional drought, the two worst designations, expanded across New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado – all states that are part of the Colorado River basin.

New Mexico’s drought has been steadily intensifying since the beginning of the year, and extreme or exceptional drought now covers 68% of the state.

Further West, water officials in Southern California are now demanding that residents and businesses limit outdoor watering to one day a week, after a disappointing winter with very little rain and snow. It’s the first time they’ve implemented such a strict rule.

More fake news.

Maybe Vegas wasn't such a great idea.

Reactions: PoS
Times are a-changing. I suspect people should do away with their lush grass and chemicals and go for a more desert look.
Actually, if things don't change, they may have no choice.

The West is in the grips of a climate change-fueled megadrought, and Lake Mead – the largest manmade reservoir in the country and a source of water for millions of people – has fallen to an unprecedented low. The lake’s plummeting water level has exposed one of the reservoir’s original water intake valves for the first time, officials say.
The valve had been in service since 1971 but can no longer draw water, according to the Southern Nevada Water Authority, which is responsible for managing water resources for 2.2 million people in Southern Nevada, including Las Vegas.

Across the West, extreme drought is already taking a toll this year and summertime heat hasn’t even arrived yet. Drought conditions worsened in the Southwest over the past week, the US Drought Monitor reported Thursday. Extreme and exceptional drought, the two worst designations, expanded across New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado – all states that are part of the Colorado River basin.

New Mexico’s drought has been steadily intensifying since the beginning of the year, and extreme or exceptional drought now covers 68% of the state.

Further West, water officials in Southern California are now demanding that residents and businesses limit outdoor watering to one day a week, after a disappointing winter with very little rain and snow. It’s the first time they’ve implemented such a strict rule.

More fake news.
Is it climate change or is the west reverting to its more natural drier conditions it has had in the past? California has experienced a 240-year drought which was followed by another 180-year drought. I imagine these long periods of drought applied throughout the who desert area of the west.

“Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years — compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.”

Reactions: PoS
Drought occurs in a desert, and climate nuts think its manmade climate change... You cant make this up. :rolleyes:

Is it climate change or is the west reverting to its more natural drier conditions it has had in the past? California has experienced a 240-year drought which was followed by another 180-year drought. I imagine these long periods of drought applied throughout the who desert area of the west.

“Through studies of tree rings, sediment and other natural evidence, researchers have documented multiple droughts in California that lasted 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years — compared to the mere three-year duration of the current dry spell. The two most severe megadroughts make the Dust Bowl of the 1930s look tame: a 240-year-long drought that started in 850 and, 50 years after the conclusion of that one, another that stretched at least 180 years.”

Shame on you.

The facts ruin the narrative!

Drought occurs in a desert, and climate nuts think its manmade climate change... You cant make this up. :rolleyes:
Cant be straying from the narrative.

Shame on you.

Everything goes in cycles, especially the weather. This earth has been much hottier and much colder. Heck, 5-6,000 years ago the sahara was a savanna with rivers and lakes, a vitural paradise. It will become green again at sometime in the future.

I live in SoCal and we go through this every few seasons. I water my lawn and garden 7 days per week during the hottest months. Watering a lawn only one day per week means you will watering a dead lawn and wasting that water anyway.

I laugh at the neighbors who installed drought tolerant plants and irrigation systems a few years ago which then saved them water. And now are being demanded to cut back an additional 25% of use based on the level of use they had AFTER cutting back----LOL. Last time they lost thousands of dollars in landscaping.

I just pay the higher tier water "penalty" for the hottest/driest months, which is like an extra $40 per month on my bill. So, for $120 dollars more in water over the summer, I don't lose 10-15 thousand dollars in plants, trees, and lawn. If California really wants to solve this water supply problem, then STOP demanding more houses, more apartments, and MORE immigrants flooding into the state. I have a perfect green lawn. What I don't have is a garage rental conversion with 2 illegal alien families with all their kids and grandparents flushing toilets and washing clothes.

I live in SoCal and we go through this every few seasons. I water my lawn and garden 7 days per week during the hottest months. Watering a lawn only one day per week means you will watering a dead lawn and wasting that water anyway.

I laugh at the neighbors who installed drought tolerant plants and irrigation systems a few years ago which then saved them water. And now are being demanded to cut back an additional 25% of use based on the level of use they had AFTER cutting back----LOL. Last time they lost thousands of dollars in landscaping.

I just pay the higher tier water "penalty" for the hottest/driest months, which is like an extra $40 per month on my bill. So, for $120 dollars more in water over the summer, I don't lose 10-15 thousand dollars in plants, trees, and lawn. If California really wants to solve this water supply problem, then STOP demanding more houses, more apartments, and MORE immigrants flooding into the state. I have a perfect green lawn. What I don't have is a garage rental conversion with 2 illegal alien families with all their kids and grandparents flushing toilets and washing clothes.
Even a record breaking drought is the fault of immigrants. Your green lawn is more important than people going to the bathroom and washing their clothes. Wow, you're just gone. I bet you were a decent human being once.

Everything goes in cycles, especially the weather. This earth has been much hottier and much colder. Heck, 5-6,000 years ago the sahara was a savanna with rivers and lakes, a vitural paradise. It will become green again at sometime in the future.
LOL...

I was trying to be funny. You're ruining it for the AGW cult with facts.

More fake news.

Shame on you.

History-of-drought-in-the-great-basin.png

4x6-PC-lead-a-talentless-horse-to-science.png

What do droughts in Callifornia have to do with a lake that gets most of its water from Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah??

California need to invest in "DE-Salination" and they need to be aggressive in that programming.

There is no magic going to happen, that can refill Lake Mead in an instance.

1652269361622.png

1652269427101.png1652269281596.png

More fake news.
Unfortunately, water intake valves aren't the only things being exposed in Lake Mead :(

The Environmentalists keep getting in the way.

Once Californians see the water bill that desal would generate I suspect they'd get in the way too. Desal is going to be extremely expensive.

Ultimately I suspect that's going to be what they have to go with since there's too many people in SoCal to be supportable by the limited water there. And the Central Valley is going to become a nightmare in the future. As climate changes and if it impacts the Sierra snowpack as it seems that it might, then the Central Valley will no longer be able to support the amount of agriculture it currently does. That's when the rest of the United States is going to get really amped up about addressing climate change...when they can no longer afford lettuce in the grocery store.

The Southwest is caught between a pre-existing problem of too many people AND climate change. It's not going to be pretty. And it WILL negatively impact our entire economy.

Maybe Vegas wasn't such a great idea.
Phoenix as well, one of largest growing cities in a overly hot, pure desert. ANd of course all the golf courses and fountains just pissing away water.

And its the lack of snow fall that is the problems. CAn survive living in a desert bcause of water from snow melt, and that is getting less and less

Phoenix as well, one of largest growing cities in a overly hot, pure desert. ANd of course all the golf courses and fountains just pissing away water.

And its the lack of snow fall that is the problems. CAn survive living in a desert bcause of water from snow melt, and that is getting less and less
But is the snow melt getting less from Human activity, or normal cycling,
and that superimposed on top of more people using a limited resource.

Once Californians see the water bill that desal would generate I suspect they'd get in the way too. Desal is going to be extremely expensive.
Maybe so. I have recently saw something that claims a cheap way to do it, though I never went past the headline. There might be progress in that area.

Maybe so. I have recently saw something that claims a cheap way to do it, though I never went past the headline. There might be progress in that area.

I remember reading somewhere that originally San Onofre was supposed to supply power for desal, but I don't know if that ever came to fruition. They are shuttering San Onofre now. Not sure how they are going to make up the need for extra electricity should desal be the route forward.

Like you said there may be some improvements in the tech to reduce the cost.

More fake news.
Is the drought purely the result of low rainfall or has usage been on the rise due to more population growth and development?

Is the drought purely the result of low rainfall or has usage been on the rise due to more population growth and development?
It's both.

We have near record low rainfalls, but so much more population since they have been this low.

It's both.

We have near record low rainfalls, but so much more population since they have been this low.
Still, just guessing about water usage, aren't you?

From the Las Vegas Sun:
Total and per-capita water use in Southern Nevada has declined over the last decade, even as the region’s population has increased by 14%

And from an industry magazine:
The Southern Nevada Water Authority adopted conservation measures in 2003, and the programs have dramatically reduced water consumption. The community used 27 billion gallons less in 2018 than in 2002, even as the population increased by 690,000 residents.

When are you going to get a clue and quit misleading people?

Back
Top Bottom