• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lake Charles, the "King of Refinery Towns" out of action.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) — Hundreds of thousands of people across Louisiana were still without power or water Friday, a day after Laura sawed a devastating path through the state, killing at least 11 people, and officials warned that basic services could be knocked out for weeks or longer along parts of the Gulf Coast.

The death toll rose after authorities reported that a Texas man was killed when the Category 4 hurricane sent a tree crashing into his home near the Louisiana border. Four other people, all in the same residence, died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator. Six deaths were reported Thursday in Louisiana, where the outlook was grim for thousands of evacuated residents eager to return.

“We need help,” said Lawrence “Lee” Faulk, 57, who returned to a home with no roof in hard-hit Cameron Parish, which was littered with downed power lines. “We need ice, water, blue tarps — everything that you would associate with the storm, we need it. Like two hours ago.”

In Lake Charles, Mayor Nic Hunter cautioned that there was no timetable for restoring electricity and that water-treatment plants “took a beating,” resulting in barely a trickle of water coming out of most faucets in the city of 80,000 people.

“If you come back to Lake Charles to stay, make sure you understand the above reality and are prepared to live in it for many days, probably weeks,” Hunter wrote on Facebook.

Laura victims may go weeks without power; deaths climb to 11

My guess is that help isn't coming.

Those poor people. :(

Yes, but there's more than that. Lake Charles and Westlake have a disproportionate share of refineries and chemical plants. If they stay down long enough, we're going to feel it.

The White House press release came out yesterday telling residents to listen to their mayors and follow local emergency guidelines. The message was clear: "You're on your own."

Imagine how shocked I am.

Now do you miss President Bush?

Um...compared to a President who doesn't think it's his role to protect the country, I think we miss every past President we've had.

Those poor people. :(

After witnessing Trump's reaction to the hurricane in Puerto Rico, I knew one thing: if California was hit by the big one, we'd be on our own. Well, the big one didn't happen; we were just ravaged by wildfires instead. Yep...we were on our own. In fact, Trump specifically gave an order to FEMA not to help us. (Yes, that happened).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ens-cut-off-fema-aid-california-forest-fires/

If a hostile foreign power bombed one of the states right now, this would be their opportunity, because Trump wouldn't do a goddamn thing about it.

After witnessing Trump's reaction to the hurricane in Puerto Rico, I knew one thing: if California was hit by the big one, we'd be on our own. Well, the big one didn't happen; we were just ravaged by wildfires instead. Yep...we were on our own.

If a hostile foreign power bombed one of the states right now, this would be their opportunity, because Trump wouldn't do a goddamn thing about it.

Paradise is still just foundations, right?

Yes, but there's more than that. Lake Charles and Westlake have a disproportionate share of refineries and chemical plants. If they stay down long enough, we're going to feel it.

Gee...maybe all of this emphasis on fossil fuels was not such a great idea after all DONDON!

Gee...maybe all of this emphasis on fossil fuels was not such a great idea after all DONDON!

Fuel aside, chlorine and industrial alcohol, alumina, etc, are all important as hell if you want even a modestly high-tech society.

Sure would suck to have an electric car in that area.

Now do you miss President Bush?

The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say. They shouldn’t have their feelings hurt just because some people don’t want to buy their records when they speak out. Freedom is a two-way street ... I don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America"
-G.W. Bush-

"Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a Hillary flunky who lost big"
-DJ Trump-

Yeah, Trump makes people miss Bush.

Fuel aside, chlorine and industrial alcohol, alumina, etc, are all important as hell if you want even a modestly high-tech society.

Actually, its all probably seeping into their ground water by now. Maybe they can treat the soil like a sponge and squeeze it back out again.

Might be a good time to remind us all that Climate change is not really about nominal weather conditions. In fact climate and weather are not the same things anyway. However, the most critical aspect or result of climate change IMO is the increased severity of weather events. Hurricanes are worse and occur more often. Rains are torrential wiping out crops and growing seasons. Heat is more excessive causing massive fires on a scale rarely seen.

Is any of this starting to sink in for you climate deniers out there?

Actually, its all probably seeping into their ground water by now. Maybe they can treat the soil like a sponge and squeeze it back out again.

Might be a good time to remind us all that Climate change is not really about nominal weather conditions. In fact climate and weather are not the same things anyway. However, the most critical aspect of climate change is the increased severity of weather events. Hurricanes are worse and occur more often. Rains are torrential wiping out crops and growing seasons. Heat is more excessive causing massive fires on a scale rarely seen.

Is any of this starting to sink in for you climate deniers.

Are we even in the same conversation?

Jesus.

The Dixie Chicks are free to speak their mind. They can say what they want to say. They shouldn’t have their feelings hurt just because some people don’t want to buy their records when they speak out. Freedom is a two-way street ... I don't really care what the Dixie Chicks said. I want to do what I think is right for the American people, and if some singers or Hollywood stars feel like speaking out, that's fine. That's the great thing about America"
-G.W. Bush-

"Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a Hillary flunky who lost big"
-DJ Trump-

Yeah, Trump makes people miss Bush.

Trump makes people miss Doctor Mengele.

Paradise is still just foundations, right?

Good lord no.

Current report on Paradise, CA

I hope you do not accept that BS claiming Trump did not help Puerto Rico. Factually it is not the job of this or any president to respond FIRST to such disasters.

Current Statistics:
Single Family Homes
1,177 Building Permit Applications Received

(782 Stick built/395 Manufactured)

1,029 Building Permits issued

320 Homes Rebuilt (certificate of occupancy issued)

Multi-Family Units
246 Multi-Family Unit Applications Received

194 Multi-Family Unit Permits Issued

60 Multi-Family Unit Permits Rebuilt (certificate of occupancy issued)

Happening This Week!:

The State Government Hazard Tree program is mobilizing as of this week. They have arborists in the field starting on-site assessments for those who have filed their ROE (Right-of-Entry). They will be ramping up over the next few weeks and more information will be provided as it becomes available. Please note, these are only assessments – no tree felling has begun yet.

Town of Paradise Weekly Recovery Update 8-26-2020 — Paradise, California

I bet Democrats on the forum have no clue where Paradise is in CA. And I gave you all a hint.

I know. I have been there.

Trump was there too. Too bad he didn't know he was there when he was standing in the middle of the destruction.

I couldn't tell you what the Democrats on the forum know about Paradise or where it is. You have to ask them. Not that it matters since they had nothing to do with the idiot President once again acting like an Alzheimer's patient off his meds.

Back
Top Bottom