• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lagerfeld: 'Paris nightmare now'...

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
In a post-Godard world, to imagine Paris is to imagine glittering lights by nights on the Champs-Élysées; members of the intelligentsia debating politics at Café de Flore; and chic, slender women, the picture of sophistication and insouciance, wearing the world's most elegant labels.
But if you ask Karl Lagerfeld, the German-born creative director of the quintessential Parisian brand Chanel, this is all a myth -- and has been for a long time.

He's seen drastic changes since the times when Paris "looked like an old French movie."
"It was another world. There was no feeling of danger, and not even a boy of 16 years old can walk in the street," he explains. "Things are changing, but I have the feeling I lived in a world that no longer exists."

Karl Lagerfeld: How Paris has lost its glamor - CNN.com

In a post-Godard world, to imagine Paris is to imagine glittering lights by nights on the Champs-Élysées; members of the intelligentsia debating politics at Café de Flore; and chic, slender women, the picture of sophistication and insouciance, wearing the world's most elegant labels.
But if you ask Karl Lagerfeld, the German-born creative director of the quintessential Parisian brand Chanel, this is all a myth -- and has been for a long time.

He's seen drastic changes since the times when Paris "looked like an old French movie."
"It was another world. There was no feeling of danger, and not even a boy of 16 years old can walk in the street," he explains. "Things are changing, but I have the feeling I lived in a world that no longer exists."

Aha....yeah right

KL has a point. Paris has been on a downward path ever since I left in June 1940. Not that I'm saying that my departure was the only reason ....

The guy is 82 for **** sake.. he is an old guy complaining about changes from when he was a kid.. oh big shocker. All old people complain about this crap.

The guy is 82 for **** sake.. he is an old guy complaining about changes from when he was a kid.. oh big shocker. All old people complain about this crap.

Yeah, what moronic thing for a 82 year old man to say.

Like looking back and wondering why he could enjoy a nice walk along the streets of Paris not so many years ago, but not anymore?

Say what you will of him, anyone having uttered the profound wisdom that people that wear jogging pants show to have lost control of their lives, will have my respect forever.:mrgreen:

KL has a point. Paris has been on a downward path ever since I left in June 1940. Not that I'm saying that my departure was the only reason ....
But it may be reasonably assumed that the Germans wouldn't have occupied it, had you stayed.

Well, now at least we know whose fault it all was. May you be forced to wear jogging pants forever.:mrgreen:

Like looking back and wondering why he could enjoy a nice walk along the streets of Paris not so many years ago, but not anymore?
Heck, if he thinks it's dangerous now, I remember how it was around 230 years ago. I didn't dare go out ever.:lol:

Heck, if he thinks it's dangerous now, I remember how it was around 230 years ago. I didn't dare go out ever.:lol:

It is happening in too many supposed civilized societies.

Growing up in my early years in Boston, you would see elderly couples of all races and every ethnicity out strolling the streets at night before bedtime.

The street thugs never hassled them out of respect.

Now................ they are often soft targets.

Like looking back and wondering why he could enjoy a nice walk along the streets of Paris not so many years ago, but not anymore
Is he right though? I visited Paris in the early 1990s and there were suburbs we were advised to avoid. I suspect that’s still the case today and was in the 1950s. There is an impression that places like Paris are more dangerous today than they were in the past but that doesn’t automatically mean those impressions are accurate.

Here's a video of a stampede that occurred at the Paris FanZone, where football fans were gathered. Someone lit a celebratory firecracker, and immediately the crowd reacted as if it were gun shots.

Is he right though? I visited Paris in the early 1990s and there were suburbs we were advised to avoid. I suspect that’s still the case today and was in the 1950s. There is an impression that places like Paris are more dangerous today than they were in the past but that doesn’t automatically mean those impressions are accurate.

In 1971, the rape rate stood at 2.0 per 100,000 people. In 1995, it was 12.5. In 2009, it stood at 16.2. Some of the increase is likely due to better reporting. According to a 2012 report, about 75,000 rapes take place each year.

According to a 2014 article, about 5,000 to 7,000 of the rapes are gang rapes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_France

"Better reporting" lol. That's a nice way of putting it.

But if you ask Karl Lagerfeld, the German-born creative director of the quintessential Parisian brand Chanel, this is all a myth -- and has been for a long time ~

Yeah, all that happened in the1900 to 1930 period, before he was born. That was when Paris was the cultural capital of the world. New York took over for a long time. Paris in this time was also the birthplace of quite a few arts movements in this time.

As it is, France is still one of the most popular tourist destinations and Paris still in the top 15 tourist cities in the world.

Good point....... but I understand what assumptions and false impressions are. Any writer with a "hard on" for a certain city can write a hit piece just to satisfy his/her grievances.

But, I believe the man has a legitimate point. It's not just Paris either, as there are many cities around the world in the same predicament.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_France

"Better reporting" lol. That's a nice way of putting it.
”Better reporting”, especially in relation to rape, is very relevant. How many of the rape convictions today be prosecuted or even recognised as a crime in the 1970s? Raw rape statistics (conviction statistics at that) alone doesn’t strike me as a particularly good measure of the overall “quality” of a society, especially in the context being talked about here (for all recent media coverage, the majority of rapes happen in private places between people who already know each other).

But, I believe the man has a legitimate point. It's not just Paris either, as there are many cities around the world in the same predicament.
If the point is, as suggested, that Paris (and elsewhere) of the 1950s was a sea of perfection while today it’s complete crime-infested anarchy, he very much doesn’t have a point. There have been an imaginably vast swathe of changes over the past few decades, good, bad and indifferent. I can see how someone who has lived through them all could find in overwhelming but to look through rose-tinted spectacles at out “perfect” past and through the corrupted lens of modern media as the “nightmare” of today is simply wrong.

Say what you will of him, anyone having uttered the profound wisdom that people that wear jogging pants show to have lost control of their lives, will have my respect forever.:mrgreen:

My point is, that my late grandmother and grandfathers, may they rest in peace.. said similar things about Denmark and Copenhagen and that was 20 years ago!

Well could be because he now is half blind, cant walk well and is not allowed to gawk at the hot men around him without being called a pervert. Or it could be because he does not like people of colour.. who knows with people at that age.

Paris is experiencing what the US has dealt with for about 80 years now. Good for them. It's about time Utopian morons got a taste of the real word.

Well could be because he now is half blind, cant walk well and is not allowed to gawk at the hot men around him without being called a pervert. Or it could be because he does not like people of colour.. who knows with people at that age.

Yeah...that must be it

French-Riots.jpg

Yeah...that must be it

French-Riots.jpg

You know there was similar **** going on in the naughties, 90s, 80s, 70s and even in the 60s... hell Lagerfeld most likely participated in one or two of these protests back in the day.. he was probably too high to remember.

It's always the same thing with you Pete, race, xenophobia, and bigotry....isn't it?

”Better reporting”, especially in relation to rape, is very relevant. How many of the rape convictions today be prosecuted or even recognised as a crime in the 1970s? Raw rape statistics (conviction statistics at that) alone doesn’t strike me as a particularly good measure of the overall “quality” of a society, especially in the context being talked about here (for all recent media coverage, the majority of rapes happen in private places between people who already know each other).

If the point is, as suggested, that Paris (and elsewhere) of the 1950s was a sea of perfection while today it’s complete crime-infested anarchy, he very much doesn’t have a point. There have been an imaginably vast swathe of changes over the past few decades, good, bad and indifferent. I can see how someone who has lived through them all could find in overwhelming but to look through rose-tinted spectacles at out “perfect” past and through the corrupted lens of modern media as the “nightmare” of today is simply wrong.

Nobody is saying the 50's were perfect, there were plenty of problems back then. But, people are a hell of a lot less respectful overall these days.

So an old guy doesn't know anything?.....that's just BS!

Paris has been a Progressive/Commie ****hole for decades.

Back in 1968, my wife and her family were on an 11 country tour of Europe. The only problem they incurred, was Paris. It was in riot mode from a communist group vs. citizens and police. There were mobs coming down many streets and they barely escaped with their lives in their VW mini bus. They never got to see the sights of Paris.

Nobody is saying the 50's were perfect, there were plenty of problems back then. But, people are a hell of a lot less respectful overall these days.

Exactly. And respect is not being taught at home or in the schools like it use to be. Thanks to liberalism, we can't spank the kids that need it and they have no fear of anyone. Fear of my Dad's razor strap, always kept me in line.
Of course I had a Mom and a Dad, a very import element in a family unit.

Back
Top Bottom