• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lack of Obamas' visit agenda leaves Chicagoans guessing

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Lack of Obamas' visit agenda leaves Chicagoans guessing

WASHINGTON -- The news that President Barack Obama and his family will return to Chicago for the Memorial Day weekend has triggered a guessing game.

Where will they dine? What will they do for fun? With the Sox on the road and the Blackhawks skating into the Stanley Cup finals, might the first family ditch its predictable pastimes -- basketball, golf and tennis -- and go to the United Center for hockey?

According to a White House official, the Obamas will arrive Thursday and stay until Monday, when Obama will participate in a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood. The veterans' cemetery is about 50 miles south of Chicago.

A top adviser to Obama, David Axelrod, recently took in a play at the Goodman Theatre about the civil rights movement, and that has some speculating that the Obamas will show up for "The Good Negro," which is making its Chicago premiere.

Lack of Obamas' visit agenda leaves Chicagoans guessing - Chicago Breaking News

So it is true. Obama will be skipping the memorial day service at arlington. (one that as far as I can remember, all presidents attended), in favor of a a chitown vacation....

President George W. Bush Memorial Day Address: Arlington National Cemetery
President Clinton At Memorial Day Services: Arlington National Cemetery
President Regan Memorial Day Address: 26 May 1986 - Arlington National Cemetery

To me this is highly disapointing, he is the CiC of the US Armed forces, and it is tradition for the President to attend this service. To choose to go on vacation instead?, again. disapointing and rather insulting imo.

Alnc_sign.jpg

So he must have work all the time which bush almost never worked in side his office?

Cemeteries - Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery - Burial and Memorial Benefits

So every thing must be done as Arlington National Cemetery? Because it really doesn't matter to me were the ceremony is as long as they do the ceremony

Presdient bush sr

Lydon B Johnson speach at Gettburg

Last edited:
Like I said, it's disapointing. I think both Bush and johnson's first time was at arlington.

I gotta say, it is disappointing. But, ya know what - maybe it's for the best. :shrug:

your fault. Your first post had many conglomerated letters, spaces, and internet web links. I had to take the shorter post out of context.

I'd rather him not be there rather than fake his way through it.

In 1983 while Reagan attended a summit meeting, a defense department official laid a wreath at Arlington.

In 1992 George the first allowed Quayle to lay the wreath while he was playing golf in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Then you had Veterans Day of 2007 that had shooter at Arlington whiles Bush was in Texas.

Reagan missed two and Bush 41 NEVER attended even ONE!!

In 1983 while Reagan attended a summit meeting, a defense department official laid a wreath at Arlington.

In 1992 George the first allowed Quayle to lay the wreath while he was playing golf in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Then you had Veterans Day of 2007 that had shooter at Arlington whiles Bush was in Texas.

Like I said, it's disapointing. I think both Bush and johnson's first time was at arlington.

Gee, was that an EPIC FAIL...

And where does it say he's not going?

Reagan skipped it 4 times out of 8. Bush Sr. didn't go at all. Clinton went every time. Bush Jr. skipped it once. (I think). Obama is doing exactly what Bush Sr. did: send the VP.
On another message board I went to, the OP of a similar thread asked military guys to weigh in. Here are every one of the responses:

As a member of the military I certainly would prefer that Obama use his time to figure out how to solve the ongoing ecological and economical crisis in the Gulf rather than attend a ceremony.
As a previous member of the armed forces I really don't give a ****. It's cool, I signed up for my own reasons and nowhere on the list was the hope that our nations leaders past, present and future would jerk me off once a year.

I would much rather Obama work on more important issues as well.
As a member of the United States military for the past 7 years, I feel it is my duty to say "There's an Arlington Memorial Day event?"
I'm only one veteran so I only speak for myself but I don't give a **** what any president does or doesn't do on Memorial Day. Literally the only thing I care about in connection with the President and the military is whether or not he starts/stops pointless and expensive wars. Bush II started one, and I have yet to see Obama end it. That alone makes both of them far more worthless in my eyes than any action they take or don't take on Memorial Day.
Another military member popping in to say I'd rather he work on the oil issue in the Gulf than spend time writing and reciting a speech. Besides, we all graduate basic with a degree in being patronized so I think I speak for a lot of us when I say we get pretty tired of [emoticon indicating long speech] . I'd also like to see him start on putting North Korea to sleep.
God, I had to go to a ****ing memorial for every soldier killed on Fort Carson in the past year on Thursday. It was hot, I have a ****ing beret-burn (one quarter of my face is burned up), I had to hear a bunch of REALLY forced sentimentality, and it was all-around the tackiest thing I've ever seen. Good for you Obama, I'd have skipped that **** if I had a god damn choice.
<-- 2x combat vet, lost over a dozen battlebuddies

I don't give a damn (Read: not offended) whether or not he attends, and I'm throwing a party tonight anyways so

[emoticon indicating booze]

So... can we move onto some other trivial thing?

edit: None of those quotes came from me, I'm not responsible for their opinions, for god's sake don't start debating their statements with me because I don't care.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom