• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Labour's Frank Field to head poverty review for Cameron

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
BBC News - Labour's Frank Field to head poverty review for Cameron

This is an excellent appointment and shows a realistic view by a Conservative leader, which is quite surprising,

Quote(Labour MP Frank Field is to head up an independent review into UK poverty that will report to the government. )

One hopes that this will actually lead to something sensible as opposed to merely being a sop to the left wing of the LibDems?

Quote(He said he was offered a job as the coalition's "poverty tsar" after the general election but feared he would be doing the same job as the Commission on Child Poverty.

Mr Field said that he did not agree to do the job until the coalition government had given him guarantees on the review's independence and scope.

He will work with officials from a number of government departments, including the Treasury and Home Office, as well as Work and Pensions.

Mr Field has told the BBC he will look at new ways of measuring poverty and of measuring how effective public spending is in helping to tackle its root causes.)

I have a deal of respect for Mr. Fields.

Quote(Despite the vast amounts of money that has been thrown at the problem, the numbers in poverty remain worryingly high and we now have a unique opportunity to give people back the dignity and independence they need and deserve."

In the coalition deal, the government pledged to "maintain the goal of ending child poverty in the UK by 2020", which was set by Tony Blair.)

NU-Labor tossed enormous amounts of money at this problem, in reality all that money ever did was provide jobs for the 'boys' nothing to overcome child poverty was ever achieved.

The old adage springs to mind You can give a man fish to allow him to feed himself and his family or you can give that man a fishing rod.

In this particular problem the obvious answer is education.

Let's hope Field, one of the only Labour people I have any time for, is given the support and independence he needs.

When Tony Blair told him to 'think the unthinkable' over NHS reform he was sacked for it. 'Wrong' kind of 'unthinkable'.

But coming from a PM who said in a letter to Michael Foot that he was 'inspired by Marx', and who had no qualms in packing the Cabinet with old Communist Party members, it's not surprising to be punished for having a new or hard hitting solution to a problem not fitting the usual dogma.

Let's hope Field, one of the only Labour people I have any time for, is given the support and independence he needs.

When Tony Blair told him to 'think the unthinkable' over NHS reform he was sacked for it. 'Wrong' kind of 'unthinkable'.

You beat me to it, part of me wonders whether even the Tories could accept some of Frank Field's views. I have a lot of respect for Field - a real maverick unafraid of the consequences of expressing his views.

Back
Top Bottom