• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Laboratories of Democracy

Brtblutwo

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Republicans continually call states 'laboratories of democracy'.

In the video at the following link, Bill Maher reports the laboratorys' results.

Of course, conservatives will deny the truth of the findings, because as we all know, when faced with facts, denial is the automatic response by the right wing. They will then struggle to refute facts using their right wing BS and soundbites taught them by FAUX NEWS and other sources of conservative fairy tales.

Bill Maher Served Republicans an Epic Economic Reality Check

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you agree with me that's fine. If you do not, I don't really care.

In the video at the following link, Bill Maher reports the laboratorys' results.

Of course, conservatives will deny the truth of the findings, because as we all know, when faced with facts, denial is the automatic response by the right wing. They will then struggle to refute facts using their right wing BS and soundbites taught them by FAUX NEWS and other sources of conservative fairy tales.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, his rant was priceless. Personally, I don't like the guy - I think he's probably a world-class ass in real life - but his rant was funny as heck...and true.

And as we all know, when it comes to politics, neither side really cares. It's all about scoring points.

Which findings do you mean? In the article there is a little selective anecdote, but.... Had you looked at any real studies?

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Too funny...and too true. Don't be surprised if I steal some of his lines. lol

Definition of a conservative is someone who keeps making the same mistakes over and over again and hoping for different results. LOL

Bill Maher's an out of touch dimwit that lives off the hubris of his own audience. There is little redeeming about the man's outlook, politics or so called humor.

Did you by any chance check to see if Maher, being a paid jokester, was just joking? He is not a reporter or journalist.

I will say congrats to Cali and glad they are doing well. However, how long do you think it will it take the top 1% to get the message and move outta state? Especially if they make the tax, which was supposed to be temporary, more permanent, ... out to 2031?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/26/californias-revenue-picture-dims.html

"California's economy is on fire, but the state's finances are facing the cold reality of a revenue slowdown. And experts blame the state's unusual tax system for the problem."

"Right now, the surging tide of revenue is beginning to turn," Governor Jerry Brown said earlier this month at a press conference announcing a revised $122.2 billion state budget and potential deficits ahead due to expiring tax increases.

"California has turned around and taken the volatility of the stock market and made it the central component of the revenue system. There's nothing right about that, because what it means is that we're constantly in either boom or bust."

"The revenue picture has dimmed a little bit," said Gabriel Petek, a credit analyst for Standard & Poor's Credit Market Services. He noted that there are only three states with a lower credit rating than California (New Jersey, Illinois and Kentucky). "

"According to state data, the top 1 percent of Californians account for nearly half of the state's income taxes, which in turn accounts for two thirds of general fund taxes. In recent years, capital gains — taxed in the state like any other income — have represented around 10 percent of California's general fund revenues"

"Last month, Moody's Investors Service conducted a "fiscal stress test" on the nation's four most populous states and found California's preparedness for a recession "weaker" than the others. It cited the Golden State's highly volatile tech industry and California's reliance on personal income taxes, particularly from top earners"

"I do think reducing the revenue volatility would be good," the governor said. "Maybe over the next year or two Republicans can join in, and we can come up with something that would make sense. It's not that simple. There's a reason why we tax the 1 percent. It's because that's a tax people have shown their willingness to vote for."

Notice how even Brown knows it takes Republican inclusion to arrive at some sense?

"Ultimately, Thornberg believes California would be better served with a Texas-style tax revenue system where there's less reliance on personal income taxes and capital gains tied to the stock market, and more of a focus on property taxes and sales taxes."

Back
Top Bottom