• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Labor Unions Raping Economy Some More

aquapub

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
New York City's transit labor union has gone on strike to bully the taxpayers into letting them retire at the age of 55 and a whole host of other obscenely expensive, greedy arrangements.

In Election 2004, several unions forced employers to hold jobs for people who left to campaign for Kerry in battleground states. They force employees to join them and/or to pay them (EVEN GOVERNMENT employees. This means tax dollars are being strong-armed into the pockets of Democrat campaigns). They are nothing more than a legalized mafia for Democrat activism.

They make it unaffordable for employers to hire Americans. They raise everyone's cost of living needlessly.

They have utterly destroyed public education-which they have held firmly in their clutches for decades and decades now.

Everything they USE to serve a purpose for is now covered by federal law.

Do you think they need to exist? Be put on a tight leash?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/17/news/nytransit/index.htm

"Do you think they need to exist? Be put on a tight leash?"

No, corporations do. Companies have shown how far they are willing to go to make a buck, and need to be destroyed.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/20/D8EK82K80.html
Commuters trudged through the freezing cold, rode bicycles and shared cabs Tuesday as New York's bus and subway workers went on strike for the first time in more than 25 years and stranded millions of riders at the height of the Christmas rush. A judge slapped the union with a $1 million-a-day fine. State Justice Theodore Jones leveled the sanction against the Transport Workers Union for violating a state law that bars public employees from going on strike. The city and state had asked Jones to hit the union with a "very potent fine."

"This is a very, very sad day in the history of labor relations for New York City," the judge said in imposing the fine.
The union said it would immediately appeal, calling the penalty excessive.
The strike came just five days before Christmas, at a time when the city is especially busy with shoppers and tourists. The heavy penalty could force the union off the picket lines and back on the job. Under the law, the union's 33,000 members will also lose two days' pay for every day they are on strike, and they could also be thrown in jail.

good for that judge

DeeJayH said:
good for that judge

No, not good for that judge...shame on the instigators of that law. In effect, you are saying that it is ok for the state of New York to force labor out of employees who have grievance with their employer? Thats so American of you. :roll:

jallman said:
No, not good for that judge...shame on the instigators of that law. In effect, you are saying that it is ok for the state of New York to force labor out of employees who have grievance with their employer? Thats so American of you. :roll:

dont hate the playa, hate the game
the law is the law, even if it is wrong
if it is wrong change it
but they should not be able to put NYC in a stranglehold, at christmas of all times, to better their lot in life. NYC has suffered enough in recent years.
I personally think, the time for unions has come and gone
its served its purpose, and now it is time to move on

DeeJayH said:
dont hate the playa, hate the game
the law is the law, even if it is wrong
if it is wrong change it
but they should not be able to put NYC in a stranglehold, at christmas of all times, to better their lot in life. NYC has suffered enough in recent years.
I personally think, the time for unions has come and gone
its served its purpose, and now it is time to move on

Well now, I agree with you on that point. I think what the labor union in NYC is doing right now is deplorable...and I think they should be fired, which is the penalty for walking out on the job. But to fine them because they walked off the job...come on now, that law is definitely out of line, dont you think?

jallman said:
Well now, I agree with you on that point. I think what the labor union in NYC is doing right now is deplorable...and I think they should be fired, which is the penalty for walking out on the job. But to fine them because they walked off the job...come on now, that law is definitely out of line, dont you think?

but if you knowingly break a law, are you not expected to take the responsibility
lets take my least favorite twat, Cindy Sheehan
she chose civil disobedience to get her point across
and she willingly went to jail for that freak show

as far as out of line
I was a Stock Broker and am now a realtor
I am subject to Treble damages for some offenses
which means, for those not in the know, if i commit fraud or some other things, that materially affect the value of a property i sell, i can be Sued for TRIPLE the amount of damages

the point being, that they make the penalty extreme, so as to discourage those from breaking it

DeeJayH said:
but if you knowingly break a law, are you not expected to take the responsibility
lets take my least favorite twat, Cindy Sheehan
she chose civil disobedience to get her point across
and she willingly went to jail for that freak show

as far as out of line
I was a Stock Broker and am now a realtor
I am subject to Treble damages for some offenses
which means, for those not in the know, if i commit fraud or some other things, that materially affect the value of a property i sell, i can be Sued for TRIPLE the amount of damages

the point being, that they make the penalty extreme, so as to discourage those from breaking it

Yeah, but fraud is different because it is illegal on a few different counts..like theft, property damage, falsifying information...

These people are exercising a personal choice not to work for an employer they have grievance with. The law itself seems unconstitutional and against the right to peacefully demonstrate. Thats all I am saying..

Anyone making 63 grand a year driving a bus, and still has "grievances" should be slapped silly, then fired, and left to work at McDonald's, or Taco Bell.:roll:

Deegan said:
Anyone making 63 grand a year driving a bus, and still has "grievances" should be slapped silly, then fired, and left to work at McDonald's, or Taco Bell.:roll:

Barring the slapped silly, I can agree with you. I am just saying that fining is out of bounds.

jallman said:
Barring the slapped silly, I can agree with you. I am just saying that fining is out of bounds.

I agree, they shouldn't fine the worker, but they certainly should fine the union, which is basically the same thing. Hit them in the pocket book, and they will come to their senses quick. They must not be too bad off, they can afford to strike right before the holidays, that speaks volumes to me. I really do hate unions, they are ruining this country, and our ability to keep jobs here.

jallman said:
These people are exercising a personal choice not to work for an employer they have grievance with. The law itself seems unconstitutional and against the right to peacefully demonstrate. Thats all I am saying..

are these poor people working 24/7? i dont think so
they can exercise the right to demonstrate when they are off the clock
besides, the wealthy union can certainly afford to cover its members expenses/losses.
the union sure doesnt seem to care about $1 Mil per day

or Fire them all Like the Gipper :lol:
take no prisoners
the US does not negotiate :shock: :doh

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165573,00.html

The latest chapter in the unending saga of labor union abuses against both the economy and the Constitution is taking place in Washington State. In a battle that has been brewing since the summer 2005, the government has signed an agreement with the labor union allowing them to strong-arm conservatives and reasonable people in general out of government jobs.

Government employees are being forced to resign (even veteran, decorated employees with decades of seniority) if they refuse to pay labor unions money. This is exactly why labor unions are considered a legalized mafia. Government agencies all across the state will be starting over from scratch with new employees, bringing their always inefficient bureaucracies to a new all-time record state of dysfunction.

Labor unions claim that they are only demanding compensation for representing these people, but these people have expressed from the beginning that they want nothing to do with the union. Some just oppose the union because it rarely does anything but get people fired, raise everyone’s cost of living, and put companies into bankruptcy, while others cited the fact that “representation” means that these TAX DOLLARS being strong-armed into the pockets of unions go straight into the pockets of Democrats.

So if you are a government employee, paid with tax dollars, your right to free assembly is being trampled by the government so that you can help elect Democrats, even if you detest everything Democrats stand for. The labor union definition of “representation” is too much like the mafia’s definition of “protection.”

This newest outrageous abuse by labor unions amounts to an exorcizing of all Republicans and other people who want the government to run efficiently from all government posts. So, lazy people, incompetent people, totally inexperienced people and Democrats are all that will be left running the state of Washington.

This is how unions (not to mention, Democrats in general) "help" the little guy.

Last edited:
I can remember a time when Labor Unions served a useful purpose in this country but they have become corrupt and have long since outlived their usefulness........

I think you are missing the point.

The employees contract with the company specically forbade strikes, for the very reason NY is complaining about, putting the city at a virtual standstill.

They weren't fined for having a grievence, they were fined for violating the terms of their contract.

Most 'essential services' contracts have such 'no strike' clauses.

What if, during a major war, all the workers building the aircraft and machinery (and pretty much all of them are union) of war decided to strike? That's why their union contracts forbid them from doing so.

They are lucky they are only losing a potential 6 days pay and not their job.

The labor union that recently shut down New York for not giving in to their senselessly greedy demands has just voted down a compromise contract. Here we go again?

Union bosses seriously need to be stripped of their enormously powerful, unaccountable, needlessly destructive capabilities.

aquapub said:
The labor union that recently shut down New York for not giving in to their senselessly greedy demands has just voted down a compromise contract. Here we go again?

Union bosses seriously need to be stripped of their enormously powerful, unaccountable, needlessly destructive capabilities.

At one time labor unions made a difference in this country but they have long since outlived the usefulness.........

I loved it when the air traffic controllers went on strike and Reagan fired all there butts.........

if we look at the time before unions we can see that they are a good thing, for without them, the rampant exploitation of the working man would be far worse than it is - the fact is, corporations are not human beings and they have no morals other than making as much money as possible - therefore they need to be regulated.

aquapub said:
New York City's transit labor union has gone on strike to bully the taxpayers into letting them retire at the age of 55 and a whole host of other obscenely expensive, greedy arrangements.

In Election 2004, several unions forced employers to hold jobs for people who left to campaign for Kerry in battleground states. They force employees to join them and/or to pay them (EVEN GOVERNMENT employees. This means tax dollars are being strong-armed into the pockets of Democrat campaigns). They are nothing more than a legalized mafia for Democrat activism.

They make it unaffordable for employers to hire Americans. They raise everyone's cost of living needlessly.

They have utterly destroyed public education-which they have held firmly in their clutches for decades and decades now.

Everything they USE to serve a purpose for is now covered by federal law.

Do you think they need to exist? Be put on a tight leash?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/17/news/nytransit/index.htm

Not true. I am a government employee in Pennsylvania. In this state, government employees are free to endorse any candidate, on their own time. Government employess are free to contribute to any candidate, with their own dollars.

Now, having said that... it is grounds for termination to join a candidate's campaign, and begin working for them. State employees, as our code requires, must appear to be neutral, when we are conducting the government's business. Are we free to have our own opinions.. of course. Most of us despise our current governor. But since this is an gubenatorial election year, we cannot campaign with any of his opponents.

As far as our Union goes, these things I've mentioned above are PART of our contract. If we violate them in any way.. the Union can require NOTHING of the state of Pennsylvania to maintain our jobs. The Union's only response can be "See ya.. wouldn't want to be ya" and that's that.

So your blanket statement is false. If you know of a state that allows such practices, you should say so.

jallman said:

Not out of bounds at all if the strike is illegal and is causing real harm to others. The city can't encourage people to park their cars and use public transporation, and then allow public transportation to conduct an illegal strike that puts everybody else out of work too. The strikers should be given an ultimatum: you have a doctor's note to miss work tomorrow or you show up. If you don't, you're out of a job.

When air traffic controllers conducted an illegal strike in the 1980's, Reagan fired them all opening the way for people to cross picket lines and start training replacements. To the best of my knowledge, there has not been another illegal strike in federal government since.

You simply cannot allow a union to hold an entire population hostage when that union is given a monopoly to provide services.

Last edited:
debate_junkie said:
Not true. I am a government employee in Pennsylvania. In this state, government employees are free to endorse any candidate, on their own time. Government employess are free to contribute to any candidate, with their own dollars.

Now, having said that... it is grounds for termination to join a candidate's campaign, and begin working for them. State employees, as our code requires, must appear to be neutral, when we are conducting the government's business. Are we free to have our own opinions.. of course. Most of us despise our current governor. But since this is an gubenatorial election year, we cannot campaign with any of his opponents.

As far as our Union goes, these things I've mentioned above are PART of our contract. If we violate them in any way.. the Union can require NOTHING of the state of Pennsylvania to maintain our jobs. The Union's only response can be "See ya.. wouldn't want to be ya" and that's that.

So your blanket statement is false. If you know of a state that allows such practices, you should say so.

The labor unions I know of contribute members dues strictly to the democratic party...........They are trying to put a stop out here with the NEA.......There are republicans that do not want their dues going to democratic candidates and causes........

Navy Pride said:
The labor unions I know of contribute members dues strictly to the democratic party...........They are trying to put a stop out here with the NEA.......There are republicans that do not want their dues going to democratic candidates and causes........

No Union should be able to use member dues to endorse any political figure.. period. Republican, Democratic, Independent.. I don't care. Union's generally will endorse a candidate. We can't stop that. We CAN however demand our legislators stop this practice, and if they don't... get someone in there who has the fortitude to do so. But you and I both know.. with BOTH parties, money talks, bull***** walks.

Back
Top Bottom