• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Labor Dept.: Same-Sex Spouses Have Benefit Rights

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Labor Dept.: Same-Sex Spouses Have Benefit Rights - ABC News

[h=1]Labor Dept.: Same-Sex Spouses Have Benefit Rights[/h]WASHINGTON September 18, 2013 (AP)
By SAM HANANEL Associated Press

AP_logo_update_20130709.gif

Legally married same-sex couples have the right to participate in employee benefit plans even if they live in states that don't recognize their union, the Labor Department said Wednesday.
The new guidance means gay spouses enjoy the same federal rights as other married couples when it comes to pensions, 401Ks, health plans and other similar benefits.
It is the latest effort by the Obama administration to clarify questions left unanswered after the Supreme Court's landmark ruling in June which invalidated part of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act. The interpretation is consistent with a ruling from the Internal Revenue Service last month that legally married gay couples can file joint federal tax returns even if they reside in states that do not recognize same-sex marriages.
"This decision represents a historic step toward equality for all American families, and I have directed the department's agency heads to ensure that they are implementing the decision in a way that provides maximum protection for workers and their families," said Labor Secretary Thomas Perez.
The agency said the terms "spouse" and "marriage" in the Employee Retirement Income Security Act should be read to include same-sex couples regardless of where they currently reside. That means a gay couple that marries legally in Minnesota or New York can still participate equally in retirement and other federal employee benefits if they move to Florida, where gay marriage is not legal.
The interpretation "provides a uniform rule of recognition that can be applied with certainty by stakeholders, including employers, plan administrators, participants, and beneficiaries," the agency said.
Groups that represent large employers welcomed the guidance, saying it makes it easier for companies operating across the country to have uniform rules to follow when it comes to issues like spousal consent on distribution of benefits and survivorship rights. Gay marriage is currently legal in 13 states and the District of Columbia. The new guidance extends federal employee benefit rights to married same-sex couples in the other 37 states — even those that have laws refusing to recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere.

Back up links:
Labor Dept.: Same-sex spouses have employee benefit rights regardless of residence - The Washington Post
Labor Dept: same-sex spouses can participate in benefit plans | Reuters
Labor Department: Gay Married Couples Have Benefit Plan Rights

Another day another article!

Seems we cant even go a week with out another stone placed in the road to equality.

Like i said a bunch of times already, slowly but surely equal rights for gays is going to crush the bigotry and discrimination they face.

The precedence that already exists, the fall of DOMA and the gain of federal benefits and protections is a very key element. Those states banning gay marriage are gonna make it easier in the long run.

I actually cant express how happy these new victories make me.
""Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." Churchill

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]well unfortunately we do make mistakes, we are taking the long way around in fixing these gross discriminatory practices BUT, we are now doing the right thing. There's light at the end of the tunnel on this subject and its NOT a train. Its the beacon of equality shinning through the darkness of hate, bigotry and discrimination. Its like a north star guiding us to righteousness and whats right.

I personally am happy to be witness to it, to be a part of it, support it and help this great achievement for my country. In my life there were times where i never thought my eyes would actually witness equality for gays but now i know that is factually wrong. My doubts were premature,
[/FONT]my disgust of bigotry and discrimination tarnished my outlook and hope. T[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]he vile ignorance and hate I've witness and heard with my own eyes and ears made me a [/FONT]pessimist on this issue and its a shame because thats not who i am, Im a optimist and im very ecstatic that this positive outlook is restored. While theres still many steps to go, im very proud of my country and the people responsible for helping equality win once again. Better late than never.

:2usflag:

Labor Dept.: Same-Sex Spouses Have Benefit Rights - ABC News

Back up links:
Labor Dept.: Same-sex spouses have employee benefit rights regardless of residence - The Washington Post
Labor Dept: same-sex spouses can participate in benefit plans | Reuters
Labor Department: Gay Married Couples Have Benefit Plan Rights

Another day another article!

Seems we cant even go a week with out another stone placed in the road to equality.

Like i said a bunch of times already, slowly but surely equal rights for gays is going to crush the bigotry and discrimination they face.

The precedence that already exists, the fall of DOMA and the gain of federal benefits and protections is a very key element. Those states banning gay marriage are gonna make it easier in the long run.

I actually cant express how happy these new victories make me.
""Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." Churchill

[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]well unfortunately we do make mistakes, we are taking the long way around in fixing these gross discriminatory practices BUT, we are now doing the right thing. There's light at the end of the tunnel on this subject and its NOT a train. Its the beacon of equality shinning through the darkness of hate, bigotry and discrimination. Its like a north star guiding us to righteousness and whats right.

I personally am happy to be witness to it, to be a part of it, support it and help this great achievement for my country. In my life there were times where i never thought my eyes would actually witness equality for gays but now i know that is factually wrong. My doubts were premature,
[/FONT]my disgust of bigotry and discrimination tarnished my outlook and hope. T[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif]he vile ignorance and hate I've witness and heard with my own eyes and ears made me a [/FONT]pessimist on this issue and its a shame because thats not who i am, Im a optimist and im very ecstatic that this positive outlook is restored. While theres still many steps to go, im very proud of my country and the people responsible for helping equality win once again. Better late than never.

:2usflag:

You seem obsessed with this issue, as far as I know you are not gay so do you have some gay family member that wants to get married or something? Honest question, I'm not baiting you.

Another Gay Thumper thread

#smh

You seem obsessed with this issue, as far as I know you are not gay so do you have some gay family member that wants to get married or something? Honest question, I'm not baiting you.

no problem ill give you an honest answer, longer than you probably want but ill give it anyway. Also i could never consider this a baiting question because theres no bait content IMO

Not obsessed but if you read my OP you will see why it brings me joy
- my disgust of bigotry and discrimination
- my total lack of understanding how people could so selfishly and ignorantly deny people equal rights IN THIS COUNTRY
- and that i thought in my life time i would always live with that going on in my country.

Theres many things in america not right and we could all talk about them but this is one actually being fixed and it makes me happy. Personally im just shocked at times that this is where we are on social issues, IMO we should lead the way for the world, we should be the example, not playing catch up.

ANd yes you are correct, im not gay lol nor do i have any immediate or close blood family members that are gay/want to have equal rights.

However i am greatly disgusted by discrimination and the denying of equal rights.

and over the decades of my life i have come to meet a great deal of gay people, at one time my closest friend was a lesbian so by default my interactions with them increased. While i didnt need this experience to tell me they are just like everybody else it certainly confirmed.

I met gays who were kind hearted and very polite, who were complete assholes, gays who were racists, who were very religious, who were inspiring, who were funny, who were IMO sluts and players, who were very wholesome etc etc etc

Nothing different than every other man, women, teen, adult, religious, non religious, minority, majority person iv ever met in my life time.

Imo its a huge crime that is conducted against them and i find it pathetic in 2013 its even a issue. I personally could NEVER deny equal rights in this country and practice this type of discrimination. I could never be that ignorant, selfish, hypocritical and arrogant.

there you go :D

Two friends of my wife suffered greatly to gay bigotry, so there is a bit of personal connection here. But beyond that, it's still a basic equality question. You either believe in basic equality, or you don't. I don't see much room for anything in between.

Two friends of my wife suffered greatly to gay bigotry, so there is a bit of personal connection here. But beyond that, it's still a basic equality question. You either believe in basic equality, or you don't. I don't see much room for anything in between.

Just not a burning issue with me I guess. My wife and I have two lesbian friends that don't seem to care much either.

Just not a burning issue with me I guess. My wife and I have two lesbian friends that don't seem to care much either.

Or not show it. But either way, it's still a simple question of basic equality.

Well I am gay and I am very happy for these rulings. They will make life a little easier and a lot fairer for a lot of couples.

For the record, my partner and I are not married. But if we had married in 2010, as we might have, the IRS ruling would have entitled us to over $25k in tax refunds. That is no small chunk of change. Not all gay couples will see huge financial benefits because of these decisions, of course. But the satisfaction of having a federal government that no longer treats you as undeserving of things like estate tax exemptions and family medical leave and immigration spousal sponsorship is valueless.

I'm always pleased to see another step toward complete equality. It's too damned slow, though. SCOTUS should declare laws that forbid equal marriage rights to be discriminatory and unconstitutional. Then I'll be satisfied.

I'm always pleased to see another step toward complete equality. It's too damned slow, though. SCOTUS should declare laws that forbid equal marriage rights to be discriminatory and unconstitutional. Then I'll be satisfied.

So who is next in line?

Muslim pedophiles? Transgendered homosexuals? Unisex bathrooms? Father/adult son marriages? Polygamy?

Where does it stop?

So who is next in line?

Muslim pedophiles? Transgendered homosexuals? Unisex bathrooms? Father/adult son marriages? Polygamy?

Where does it stop?

Well, while I have no trouble with transgendered homosexuals or unisex bathrooms, as I'm an adult and capable of self control, pedophiles can be be opposed for justifiable reasons regardless of religion, as can father / son marriages. So this type of illogical bigotry you posted above doesn't really hold up.

So who is next in line?

Where does it stop?

Muslims already have equal rights. Pedophiles do not, since pedophilia is illegal.

Transgendered individuals are technically not homosexual; however, they should have exactly the same rights as any other adult human in the country.

Bathrooms, unisex or otherwise, are not people and as such are not entitled to constitutional rights.

If both father and son are adults, and wish to marry, they should have the right to do so; however, incestuous relationships are illegal in most areas.

Polygamy between consenting adults is fine with me; however, polygamous relationships are also illegal in most areas.

In summation:

Declaring that homosexuals must be given the same constitutional rights and protections as heterosexuals, including the rights and privileges afforded by marriage may affect transgendered individuals if they are refused the right to marry the person of their choosing because of their transgendered status.

Muslims, pedophiles, bathrooms, incest and polygamy will not be affected one way or the other.

Will this knowledge allow you to sleep better at night? :lol:

Muslims already have equal rights. Pedophiles do not, since pedophilia is illegal.

Eight year-old Yemeni child dies on wedding night | The Daily Caller

Transgendered individuals are technically not homosexual; however, they should have exactly the same rights as any other adult human in the country.

So transgendered marriage is next on the list? I'm really just wondering what your line is. You're not answering the question. I see a lot of "gays demand equality and "constitutional rights" rhetoric, but that's all that is. Rhetoric.

Bathrooms, unisex or otherwise, are not people and as such are not entitled to constitutional rights.

Not speaking of rights in regards to this but you knew that

If both father and son are adults, and wish to marry, they should have the right to do so; however, incestuous relationships are illegal in most areas.

I didn't mention sex in regards to their relationship, but apparently you think this situation would be pretty cool

Polygamy between consenting adults is fine with me; however, polygamous relationships are also illegal in most areas.

Should Polygamy be legal in all 50 states? I'm just curious where you draw the line personally.

In summation:

Declaring that homosexuals must be given the same constitutional rights and protections as heterosexuals, including the rights and privileges afforded by marriage may affect transgendered individuals if they are refused the right to marry the person of their choosing because of their transgendered status.

Muslims, pedophiles, bathrooms, incest and polygamy will not be affected one way or the other.

Will this knowledge allow you to sleep better at night? :lol:

Marriage (Gay Marriage especially. The Founders would have been repulsed by such a filthy concept) isn't a Constitutional right and secondly why should only gays be given the special right to change the definition of marriage from man + woman to man + ? or woman + ?

The Institution and Tradition of marriage has always had specific social and economic purposes. It's an exclusive club designed to bring the opposite sexes together. Why should only gays be allowed to twist it's meaning and get access to that club over any other perverted sexual victim group.

Eight year-old Yemeni child dies on wedding night | The Daily Caller

So transgendered marriage is next on the list? I'm really just wondering what your line is. You're not answering the question. I see a lot of "gays demand equality and "constitutional rights" rhetoric, but that's all that is. Rhetoric.

Not speaking of rights in regards to this but you knew that

I didn't mention sex in regards to their relationship, but apparently you think this situation would be pretty cool

Should Polygamy be legal in all 50 states? I'm just curious where you draw the line personally.

Marriage (Gay Marriage especially. The Founders would have been repulsed by such a filthy concept) isn't a Constitutional right and secondly why should only gays be given the special right to change the definition of marriage from man + woman to man + ? or woman + ?

The Institution and Tradition of marriage has always had specific social and economic purposes. It's an exclusive club designed to bring the opposite sexes together. Why should only gays be allowed to twist it's meaning and get access to that club over any other perverted sexual victim group.

In other words, you equate homosexuality in America with pedophilia, Muslims, bathrooms, polygamy and incest around the globe. Apparently the concept of consenting adults in the USA eludes you. So, there's nothing to discuss in a thread with the topic of "Same Sex Spouses Have Benefit Rights". You may wish to move your link to the ME forum, where you can express your horror at how Yemenis treat their children, since it has nothing to do with... well, anything in this thread. :2wave:

In other words, you equate homosexuality in America with pedophilia, Muslims, bathrooms, polygamy and incest around the globe. Apparently the concept of consenting adults in the USA eludes you. So, there's nothing to discuss in a thread with the topic of "Same Sex Spouses Have Benefit Rights". You may wish to move your link to the ME forum, where you can express your horror at how Yemenis treat their children, since it has nothing to do with... well, anything in this thread. :2wave:

I didn't equate anything. You were the one who said this was "the first step to equality"

I asked you where you draw the line. If "consenting adults" is the only criteria you need to determine your morality, then that's all you needed to say. In some Muslim cultures pedophilia is acceptable and practiced. If someone doesn't agree with that does that mean they hate Muslims?

Projection noted :lol:

Hate the sin

Love the sinner

yes this is advice you should follow, but you dont, you let you bigoted hatred and views get the better of you.

Or not show it. But either way, it's still a simple question of basic equality.

yep thats all it is and im shocked when people find it to be a "meh" issue

agreed, it is too slow but the writing is on the wall now, this is why many people said the fall of DOMA wasnt such a small thing but a catapult into the fast lane.

I didn't equate anything. You were the one who said this was "the first step to equality"

I asked you where you draw the line. If "consenting adults" is the only criteria you need to determine your morality, then that's all you needed to say. In some Muslim cultures pedophilia is acceptable and practiced. If someone doesn't agree with that does that mean they hate Muslims?

Like it has always been, it is about the rational reasoning behind why laws are in place. There can be rational reasons given for why those things you mentioned are prevented by law in a way where it can be shown how such laws further legitimate state interests of some kind (in most cases, otherwise you are discussing things that will change as they should). There is no legitimate state interest being furthered by legally preventing two people of the same sex from entering into a legal marriage.

This is my last reply to the foolishness you have been spewing. You aren't interested in anything except spreading your message of intolerance and bigotry, and I'm not going to play your game.

Like it has always been, it is about the rational reasoning behind why laws are in place. There can be rational reasons given for why those things you mentioned are prevented by law in a way where it can be shown how such laws further legitimate state interests of some kind (in most cases, otherwise you are discussing things that will change as they should). There is no legitimate state interest being furthered by legally preventing two people of the same sex from entering into a legal marriage.

Homosexual sex isn't rational however

It is not genetic. Animals do it in the wild for irrational reasons, dominance, confused stimuli. We don't create laws based upon irrational behavior. There is no homosexual instinct in animals to mate. If homosexual was natural and normal we would see genetic proof. There isn't any. We'd have seen Evolution adapt to the behavior and find a purpose for it. There is no purpose for it. It's jamming things in dirty places.

There is no social or economic purpose to Gay "Marriage". It's pointless/pretend/sham marriage

1.)So who is next in line?
2.)Muslim pedophiles?
3.) Transgendered homosexuals?
4.) Unisex bathrooms? Father/adult son marriages? Polygamy?
5.) Where does it stop?

1.) theres not sole precedence used in court for equal rights for gays to lend them to anything else, so this question is moot and has nothing to do with equal rights for gays.
2.) no we will never be allowing rape since that violates rights, so this question is moot and has nothing to do with equal rights for gays.
3.) you using this adj just further shows how severely uneducated on these topics you are, so this question is moot and has nothing to do with equal rights for gays.
4.) these existed before i was born so this question is moot and has nothing to do with equal rights for gays.
5.) at equal rights for gays

destroying your posts is pretty easy, let us know when you have anything factual or that even relates to this topic.
thanks for playing, next.

This is my last reply to the foolishness you have been spewing. You aren't interested in anything except spreading your message of intolerance and bigotry, and I'm not going to play your game.

it doesnt spread though, he just posts his lies and opinions based on bigotry and hate and as they pop up we just smack them like a game of whack-a-mole.

Back
Top Bottom