• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Lab grown meat!

G

gdalton

Here is an article I found about growing meat for consumption in a lab.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4439/1/

Here is a little quote.

"In a recent paper in the Tissue Engineering journal, a team of scientists has proposed two new techniques of tissue engineering that may one day lead to affordable production of in vitro - lab grown - meat for human consumption."

Well then, what can I say, a little strange, yes, but it would be nice to enjoy a steak with out feeling bad for the cow (which I don't now but if I did it would be nice).
How about the veggies and vegans out there, would you eat meat if no animal was harmed?
Now I can see how this would be good for world hunger and all those forests being cleared for cattle but do any of you really think that average people would be eating this stuff?

Eww. That's all I can say.

Seriously, I wouldn't eat it any way. Morals isn't the only reason I don't eat meat. It's very bad for your health.

Not to take this off topic but I'm a little curious on the health issues of meat, let me see if I can phrase this correctly.
Ok, if you will admit we (humans) are only animals given certain tools in order to survive (i.e.: hands and fingers to grab, nails to rip, hair to cover, etc.) then why would we need incisors and canines in our dental structure? If we where not meant to eat meat then why do we have to tools to do so? I have never seen a cow with incisors nor have I seen a cow voluntarily eat another animal, in the wild they only munch on grass so they do not have the tools needed to eat other animals.
So if eating meat is unhealthy then why are we equipped to do so?
I'm not trying to say bad things about veggies or vegans (I was raised a veggie) so please don't think I'm trying to be mean with these questions, I'm just curious as to your overall point of view.

gdalton said:
Not to take this off topic but I'm a little curious on the health issues of meat, let me see if I can phrase this correctly.
Ok, if you will admit we (humans) are only animals given certain tools in order to survive (i.e.: hands and fingers to grab, nails to rip, hair to cover, etc.) then why would we need incisors and canines in our dental structure? If we where not meant to eat meat then why do we have to tools to do so? I have never seen a cow with incisors nor have I seen a cow voluntarily eat another animal, in the wild they only munch on grass so they do not have the tools needed to eat other animals.
So if eating meat is unhealthy then why are we equipped to do so?
I'm not trying to say bad things about veggies or vegans (I was raised a veggie) so please don't think I'm trying to be mean with these questions, I'm just curious as to your overall point of view.

Actually, horses and cows do have incisors and canines. And humans couldn't eat meat until we invented tools. We're not fast enough, nor do we have sharp enough...equipment.

And then there's the fact that eating saturated fat only raises cholesterol in herbivores. Lions can eat meat all day long without a spike in their cholestol level. Try to feed a rabbit a steak and it shoots up. What else does this remind you of?

I got more if you want it. ;)

Hey good stuff, I had no idea that horses and cows had incisors or canines, that just makes them much more scary, I've heard you say you are on a farm so I will have to guess you would know better then I. I know that sat fats are very bad but I don't think humans are strickly herbivore otherwise we would be in far worse health then we currently are (which isn't that great) considering the little ones who munch on Mcydy's all day. So if the meat was lab grown to be full of healthy crap like vitamins and very lean would that make a difference?
I know your first response was eww but honestly it can't be any more disgusting to grow some meat in a lab then the way we get it now.

gdalton said:
Hey good stuff, I had no idea that horses and cows had incisors or canines, that just makes them much more scary, I've heard you say you are on a farm so I will have to guess you would know better then I. I know that sat fats are very bad but I don't think humans are strickly herbivore otherwise we would be in far worse health then we currently are (which isn't that great) considering the little ones who munch on Mcydy's all day. So if the meat was lab grown to be full of healthy crap like vitamins and very lean would that make a difference?
I know your first response was eww but honestly it can't be any more disgusting to grow some meat in a lab then the way we get it now.

:lol: I don't live on a farm. I just researched my diet after I started it. There's no rule that herbivores can't eat meat. Horses have been known to eat roadkill. They're still considered herbivores though.

Hey did you hear that kids who eat McDonald's fries have a higher risk for breast cancer?

I just don't understand the point of eating it. Why would you waste all the effort of eliminating all the saturated fats, and cholesterol, and bad things in meat, when you can just eat tofu or beans and get the same stuff? Generally, the less my food is messed with by science, the happier I am.

Kelzie said:
:lol: I don't live on a farm. I just researched my diet after I started it. There's no rule that herbivores can't eat meat. Horses have been known to eat roadkill. They're still considered herbivores though.

Hey did you hear that kids who eat McDonald's fries have a higher risk for breast cancer?

I just don't understand the point of eating it. Why would you waste all the effort of eliminating all the saturated fats, and cholesterol, and bad things in meat, when you can just eat tofu or beans and get the same stuff? Generally, the less my food is messed with by science, the happier I am.

Oops, I thought I had seen you write about getting subsities for farming, well then I take back what I said about you knowing better then I :mrgreen:

I have read reports that the removing of protein we recieve from meats (soybean protein is different for some reason) when following a veggie diet is bad for your overall muscular structure causing atrophy to quicken as you age. And I believe some theorize that we would not have reached our level of intelligence :)roll:) had we not utilized a diet high in protein, they say the protein is what helped us grow larger brains.

gdalton said:
Oops, I thought I had seen you write about getting subsities for farming, well then I take back what I said about you knowing better then I :mrgreen:

I have read reports that the removing of protein we recieve from meats (soybean protein is different for some reason) when following a veggie diet is bad for your overall muscular structure causing atrophy to quicken as you age. And I believe some theorize that we would not have reached our level of intelligence :)roll:) had we not utilized a diet high in protein, they say the protein is what helped us grow larger brains.

Actually, recent studies have shown exactly the opposite effects on your health from eating meats. Animal proteins in particular leach calcium out of our bone. Which is why countries with the highest milk consumption have the highest amount of osteoperosis. Look up the Nurses Study done at Harvard. That was one of the many conclusions of that study.

And there are plenty of vegan/vegetarian athletes who have a very healthy amount of muscle.

Kelzie said:
Actually, recent studies have shown exactly the opposite effects on your health from eating meats. Animal proteins in particular leach calcium out of our bone. Which is why countries with the highest milk consumption have the highest amount of osteoperosis. Look up the Nurses Study done at Harvard. That was one of the many conclusions of that study.

And there are plenty of vegan/vegetarian athletes who have a very healthy amount of muscle.

Great info to ponder, could you send me a list of sources, you can use the private mail for that since we seem to have strayed from the subject.

I still love me some steak though, mmmmmm steak ahhhhhhh.:twisted:

gdalton said:
Great info to ponder, could you send me a list of sources, you can use the private mail for that since we seem to have strayed from the subject.

I still love me some steak though, mmmmmm steak ahhhhhhh.:twisted:

Go to the vegan/vegetarian thread in Off Topics. I believe I have sources there.

the voice inside my head says cool.

Yes, fish is what allowed the human brain to grow, which was rich in protein. I must note I don't think any other meats did anything.

Kelzie said:

Poor little Tommy, why did he have to eat so much McDonalds? Dirty Men-Breast cancer!

Kelzie said:
Eww. That's all I can say.

Seriously, I wouldn't eat it any way. Morals isn't the only reason I don't eat meat. It's very bad for your health.

Most fish is not bad for your health. Isn't salmon good for you?

Last edited:
SouthernDemocrat said:
Most fish is not bad for your health. Isn't salmon good for you?

Depends where you get it. And all fish has mercury in it these days. Salmon just has a lower amount compared to others.

Kelzie said:
Depends where you get it. And all fish has mercury in it these days. Salmon just has a lower amount compared to others.

Yeah but it also has those good cholesterols in it. Besides, everything including most organically grown veggies has toxins in it.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Yeah but it also has those good cholesterols in it. Besides, everything including most organically grown veggies has toxins in it.

You mean good fatty acids. Which helps your body make good cholesterol. :lol:

Any cholesterol your body eats just temporarily raises the levels...it's your body that makes it.

And seriously, if I would add anything, it would be fish. Just make sure you don't get it from fish farms.

everything is bad for you if you take too much of it.
for example(the one i love to use because my mom always makes me carrots):
too much beta carrotine turns you orange.

you have to find a perfect balance of meat and fruits and vegetables.

clone said:
everything is bad for you if you take too much of it.
for example(the one i love to use because my mom always makes me carrots):
too much beta carrotine turns you orange.

you have to find a perfect balance of meat and fruits and vegetables.

Except without the meat.

Back
Top Bottom