• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LA unveils $578M school, costliest in the nation

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By CHRISTINA HOAG, Associated Press Writer – Sun Aug 22, 2:46 pm ET
LOS ANGELES – Next month's opening of the Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools will be auspicious for a reason other than its both storied and infamous history as the former Ambassador Hotel, where the Democratic presidential contender was assassinated in 1968.
With an eye-popping price tag of $578 million, it will mark the inauguration of the nation's most expensive public school ever.
The K-12 complex to house 4,200 students has raised eyebrows across the country as the creme de la creme of "Taj Mahal" schools, $100 million-plus campuses boasting both architectural panache and deluxe amenities.
"There's no more of the old, windowless cinderblock schools of the '70s where kids felt, 'Oh, back to jail,'" said Joe Agron, editor-in-chief of American School & University, a school construction journal. "Districts want a showpiece for the community, a really impressive environment for learning."
Not everyone is similarly enthusiastic.
"New buildings are nice, but when they're run by the same people who've given us a 50 percent dropout rate, they're a big waste of taxpayer money," said Ben Austin, executive director of Parent Revolution who sits on the California Board of Education. "Parents aren't fooled."

LA unveils $578M school, costliest in the nation - Yahoo! News

Just think of all the poor children that could have BOOKS instead of rich kids a new school building.

Disgusting! I thought they are broke? Guess not:(

I seriously question the use of funds for school at times. The school down the street from me just spent 49,000 bucks on a new gym floor for basketball despite the fact that the team went 1-23 this past year. Surely they could have spent 49,000 on something educational.

I seriously question the use of funds for school at times. The school down the street from me just spent 49,000 bucks on a new gym floor for basketball despite the fact that the team went 1-23 this past year. Surely they could have spent 49,000 on something educational.

Well, maybe a whole bunch of voters learned their lesson and will stop voting in support of school bond measures?

Absolutely terrible, there are so many more important things this money could of been used for. I just feel sorry for the kids of LA. .

California's government has wasted so much money, it pisses me off... and I'm not even from there! The lack of fiscal responsibility in Cali's government and the little outcry from it's citizens makes me wonder if most people in Cali are smoking weed...

At least this school is useful to a lot of people and families... unlike the billion+ dollar US embassy in Baghdad..

At least this school is useful to a lot of people and families... unlike the billion+ dollar US embassy in Baghdad..

Good Old Pete, an over priced school in a broke failing school district = useful.

An Embassy in a country that's trying to throw off the chains of oppression and tyrrany = useless.

Good Old Pete, an over priced school in a broke failing school district = useful.

An Embassy in a country that's trying to throw off the chains of oppression and tyrrany = useless.

Good old Vicchio defending right wing building projects.

Overpriced school = educates AMERICAN children.

Overpriced embassy = a big building with no real use other than a helicopter landing pad and other than project arrogance and stupidity in a nation where most people would rather cut your throat than shake your hand .. as an American. At least lets hope the roof can handle more than one helicopter so that the evacuation can be done faster...

Good old Vicchio defending right wing building projects.

Overpriced school = educates AMERICAN children.

Failing, broke school district that slashed school year, teachers and programs. Is 640,000,000.00 in the HOLE. It's a pretty building for rich kids.

Overpriced embassy = a big building with no real use other than a helicopter landing pad and other than project arrogance and stupidity in a nation where most people would rather cut your throat than shake your hand .. as an American. At least lets hope the roof can handle more than one helicopter so that the evacuation can be done faster...

The only arrogance and stupidity I see is... in the above quoted section...

Failing, broke school district that slashed school year, teachers and programs. Is 640,000,000.00 in the HOLE. It's a pretty building for rich kids.

And the US is 10+ trillion in the hole with a massive budget deficit when the Embassy was projected and signed off on and completed... under Bush. It is a pretty building for right wingers in Baghdad.

The only arrogance and stupidity I see is... in the above quoted section...

Yea deny the facts.

Listen.. I would rather spend the money on a school in my home country that can help people now and in the future, than throw away even more money on a building in another country, that benefits no one but a handful of civil servants and right winger backers. If you cant see the logic in that, then I am sorry but that is not my problem.

Does it have a shopping mall with internet cafes? :lol: I guess this is part of the multicultural education program our children receive these days. You have to create an environment where children can learn and grow, and appreciate the utter splender of learning. :lamo

And the US is 10+ trillion in the hole with a massive budget deficit when the Embassy was projected and signed off on and completed... under Bush. It is a pretty building for right wingers in Baghdad.

Yea deny the facts.

Listen.. I would rather spend the money on a school in my home country that can help people now and in the future, than throw away even more money on a building in another country, that benefits no one but a handful of civil servants and right winger backers. If you cant see the logic in that, then I am sorry but that is not my problem.

I see you've taken it upon yourself (no surprise) to introduce the requisite Bush-bashing, thread-derailing hackery. You are coming totally unhinged.

Back
Top Bottom