• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LA spending up to $837000 to house a single homeless person

dobieg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
And liberals wonder why we fight tooth and nail over giving Democrats any more of our hard earned money in taxes when they so blatanlt waste it because they are literally the dumbest people on the planet.

A $1.2 billion program intended to quickly build housing for Los Angeles’ sprawling homeless population is moving too slowly while costs are spiking, with one project under development expected to hit as much as $837,000 for each housing unit, a city audit disclosed Wednesday.

Most of the units are studios or one-bedroom apartments. The audit found 14% of the units build exceeded $700,000 each, and one project in pre-development is estimated to cost almost $837,000 per unit.

And of course Democrat leadership underscores how comepletely inept and delusional they are.

In a tweet, Democratic Mayor Eric Garcetti appeared to dispute any suggestion that the program – formally known by its title on the 2016 ballot, Proposition HHH – was off track.

The program “is producing more units than promised, at a lower cost than expected,” Garcetti wrote.

And liberals wonder why we fight tooth and nail over giving Democrats any more of our hard earned money in taxes when they so blatanlt waste it because they are literally the dumbest people on the planet.

The red states are the welfare sucker states.

States like California must fund our underdeveloped undereducated Conservative Right-to-Work Utopias.

So....sorry to inject reality into your op.

You can always drop back 10 yards now and trot out the "Needles & Feces in SF" bit. That one ALWAYS kills! :LOL::LOL:

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:💉💉💉💉💉💉

That cost per unit seems very high. Even if the units are 800 square feet they should be able to build them for less than 200K

I also wonder what the additonal costs are per unit/person which are yearly costs? Utilities, free services, food, free drug paraphernalia,.......

Just so a sick person in need of treatment can sit around and shoot up in taxpayer funded housing they're likely to destroy.

I also wonder what the additonal costs are per unit/person which are yearly costs? Utilities, free services, food, free drug paraphernalia,.......

Just so a sick person in need of treatment can sit around and shoot up in taxpayer funded housing they're likely to destroy.
I've seen math that shows that it's cheaper to house homeless than to try to provide support services to them on the street. But probably not at the cost of those particular units. Something has gone very wrong there.

When taxpayers see their officials so blatantly waste their money on an otherwise good cause, support for those causes will likely start losing their appeal. If Newsom and other Democrats in California would spend that $12 billion allocated for the homeless in a prudent and efficient manner, it's likely there would be more appeal to taxpayers to continue to provide the funding needed to support homeless initiatives.

I just can't see how anyone would not be completely frustrated by the sheer incompetence in California.

Yahoo is a conservative news source. If there was any truth to it, you would have seen the exact same article on a liberal website.

Yahoo is a conservative news source. If there was any truth to it, you would have seen the exact same article on a liberal website.

On what planet?

Your ridiculous assertion aside.

I’m kind of surprised it’s only 837k I figured the Democrat approved skim would push the total to a million a unit

The only planet people live on, of course. Duh.

In what world would Yahoo be conservative? I suppose the half dozen Huffpost articles they have running at any given time must give them away as super secret conservatives.

In what world would Yahoo be conservative? I suppose the half dozen Huffpost articles they have running at any given time must give them away as super secret conservatives.

It’s easier to attack the source than try and defend the shockingly high overruns

A different source for information regarding this issue, a much better source with plain information on what is really happening and why costs are as they are.

Also less obvious anti humanity bias in the article below that the OP linked piece.

In her response, Sewill identified several factors that contribute to the cost of HHH projects, including requirements to pay prevailing wages and provide higher energy efficiency standards, accessibility standards and furniture. In addition, she said, projects developed on publicly-owned land, such as the one costing $837,000 per unit, include requirements for community amenities such as clinics or child centers, raising their cost.

This means the title is misleading. The price tag is for one unit and all of the building's public areas.

A different source for information regarding this issue, a much better source with plain information on what is really happening and why costs are as they are.

Also less obvious anti humanity bias in the article below that the OP linked piece.

By all means, explain how a single unit can cost $837,000?

This means the title is misleading. The price tag is for one unit and all of the building's public areas.

Uh no.

The audit found 14% of the units build exceeded $700,000 each, and one project in pre-development is estimated to cost almost $837,000 per unit.

Yes, including the Day Cares and Health Clinics on site!

ETC

As well as enhanced code requirements not to leave out the huge costs in building materials.

So on top of the outrageous costs of housing units, they also get an onsite health clinic and free day care?

Only in a liberal mind would this be ok.

By all means, explain how a single unit can cost $837,000?
Because that cost is not just for the 4 walls where one person will live but is the total cost when all the property price is added, all the infrastructure is added, all the special code applications in the construction are added, all the non living building units that are added in on that location and divided by the number of units. It is misleading math to say one unit cost $837K.

In addition, she said, projects developed on publicly-owned land, such as the one costing $837,000 per unit, include requirements for community amenities such as clinics or child centers, raising their cost.

So on top of the outrageous costs of housing units, they also get an onsite health clinic and free day care?

Only in a liberal mind would this be ok.
I never said it was OK.

I am just saying what it is.

Back
Top Bottom