• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LA spending up to $837000 to house a single homeless person

How much do tents cost in California?

Because that cost is not just for the 4 walls where one person will live but is the total cost when all the property price is added, all the infrastructure is added, all the special code applications in the construction are added, all the non living building units that are added in on that location and divided by the number of units. It is misleading math to say one unit cost $837K.

And after all that, the net is still $837,000 per unit.

In your mind, is that reasonable? What should a struggling mother with 3 kids on welfare get then?

Yahoo is a conservative news source. If there was any truth to it, you would have seen the exact same article on a liberal website.
Thank you for proving nothing you say should be taken seriously.

Why?

Planning a camping trip to California but want to pack light until you get there?
To house the homeless.
Not even planning a trip to the U.S.

And after all that, the net is still $837,000 per unit.

In your mind, is that reasonable? What should a struggling mother with 3 kids on welfare get then?
No I don't think it is reasonable.

Neither do I think the average per unit cost of $450K is reasonable.

But the people of California voted for the projects and voted for the people in charge of delivering on those projects so I think the buck stops with them.

Struggling mother with three kids?

How is she struggling?

That’s got to be one heck of a security deposit to put down a 837k unit

And liberals wonder why we fight tooth and nail over giving Democrats any more of our hard earned money in taxes when they so blatanlt waste it because they are literally the dumbest people on the planet.

An $837,000 home in LA must be a dump. In my community that same style home would be going for about $65,000 = a fixer upper. Price is relative ....................

As long as California taxpayers are willing to pay for it without any Federal funding, no problem.

And liberals wonder why we fight tooth and nail over giving Democrats any more of our hard earned money in taxes when they so blatanlt waste it because they are literally the dumbest people on the planet.

Homes are expensive there.
What price do you put on another human being??

Look up the property value for one of the old tiny beat-up houses near downtown LA. Even those dumpy old houses are worth nearly $1 million.

That explains it.

Dumb? You can't be that dumb. Someone has a racket going.

Look up the property value for one of the old tiny beat-up houses near downtown LA. Even those dumpy old houses are worth nearly $1 million.

That explains it.
That explains capitalism. Supply and demand in action.

That cost per unit seems very high. Even if the units are 800 square feet they should be able to build them for less than 200K
800k of the 837 is the amount in political graft due back to politicians who came up with this stupid plan.

Homeless don't need houses, they just need shelter. Shelter could be a lean-to or a tent.

CIMG3987_thumb.jpg

800k of the 837 is the amount in political graft due back to politicians who came up with this stupid plan.

Homeless don't need houses, they just need shelter. Shelter could be a lean-to or a tent.

CIMG3987_thumb.jpg
I would not go so far as saying give them cake to eat in their lean-to.

However for the money being spent, more beds could be provided with renovations on existing structures

I still contend that if there are unoccupied dwellings they should be used temporarily to house people currently homeless, while permanent solutions like this are accomplished.. I'm just not sure how that could work legally.

Also, it's not "for a single person", that price was for a single unit, which could in theory house multiple people.

Specifically:
Most of the units are studios or one-bedroom apartments. The audit found 14% of the units build exceeded $700,000 each, and one project in pre-development is estimated to cost almost $837,000 per unit.

The audit noted that higher prices for construction materials during the pandemic, including lumber, along with labor shortages could be contributing to rising costs.

Edit:
On the other hand, there are quite literally multi-bedroom houses selling in LA for cheaper than that, so I have to wonder if they just don't want to rile up the locals by having formerly homeless people move in next door.

Political considerations?

Last edited:
I would not go so far as saying give them cake to eat in their lean-to.

However for the money being spent, more beds could be provided with renovations on existing structures
These people are dope heads and nut jobs. The only housing that works for them are prison and hospitals. Building them homes is just giving them crack houses for themselves and their friends.

Let them dry up and blow away in the wind like old dog turds, they cannot be helped.

An $837,000 home in LA must be a dump. In my community that same style home would be going for about $65,000 = a fixer upper. Price is relative ....................
Depends where in LA we're talking, some areas are cheaper for more space.

Biden will call it "infrastructure" and tell CA to use COVID money to pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom