• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LA spending up to $837,000 to house a single homeless person

The 800,000 + quoted is for literally one (cherry picked max) of 1,000+ units and 86% are below 700,000. Considering the costs of lumber and materials the last few years, it doesn't seem like a million dollar gold toilet for the military kind of excess. I'm sure you are all equally if not more outraged over those kinds of wastes.

Frankly, I'd rather 1 billion of taxpayer funds goes to help the homeless rather than subsidizing sports stadiums, when they can easily afford it out of their own bloated fortunes.

It’s clever to present this as an either or which you know will not happen. Of course, public investment in sports or other entertainment venues generates revenue while providing housing units for the mentally ill and/or drug addicts do not. It is also likely that offers of “free” housing will attract more who ‘qualify’ for that new perk.

Can I just point out that even if this is $800k per house that isn't just for 1 person unless you think that they'll bulldoze it and rebuild every time a homeless person moves out and a new tennent moved in.
Also in the US is it physically impossible for more than 1 person to live in a house?

I know you guys think we all live in tiny shoeboxes in London or castles in the country but I live in a house with 3 adults and somehow we manage.
Yes, it's actually possible for 3 adults to live in a house!!!!!!!

How many of the adults in your household are mentally ill, commit crime to support themselves and/or are addicted to drugs?

The problem as I see it, is not the idea, or the intent, it's Government incompetence and contractor greed.....once a contractor gets a wiff of taxpayers money, suddenly all costs go through the roof.

Stricter oversight and placing contractor expenses under the microscope and in the light of day needs to happen.

Individuals can do the following, but the government cannot?

https://www.discovercontainers.com/the-cheapest-5-shipping-container-homes-ever-built/

Our 17’ X 56’ (952 sq. ft. 2 BR 2 BA) manufactured home (delivered, set up on strip concrete footers and connected to electric, water, septic and central AC) cost about $70K. The home alone cost about $56K. We rent the 1/2 acre lot (which already had the septic) that it sits on for $265/month.

Reactions: Bum
How many of the adults in your household are mentally ill, commit crime to support themselves and/or are addicted to drugs?

Why do you assume the homeless are any of those things?

Why do you assume the homeless are any of those things?

Because studies (and observations) have shown that to be the case.

The Times, however, found that about 67% had either a mental illness or a substance abuse disorder. Individually, substance abuse affects 46% of those living on the streets — more than three times the rate previously reported — and mental illness, including post-traumatic stress disorder, affects 51% of those living on the streets, according to the analysis.

Reactions: PoS
No you didn't. This is your post.

"All one has to do is read our moronic posts to get proof."

As I said, glad to see your self awareness.
That was a typo, but I'll indulge your usual idiotic fallacies.

"our" doesnt mean "my." Anyone with knowledge of basic English knows that, but not you it seems.

That was a typo, but I'll indulge your usual idiotic fallacies.

"our" doesnt mean "my." Anyone with knowledge of basic English knows that, but not you it seems.
our, determiner, belonging to or associated with the speaker and one or more other people previously mentioned or easily identified

Your basic knowledge doesn't meet that bar.

our, determiner, belonging to or associated with the speaker and one or more other people previously mentioned or easily identified

Your basic knowledge doesn't meet that bar.
"Our" includes you, as well. More basic English for you.

But then again, you're fully in support of giving $1 million to a homeless man for free, so it's not surprising.

"Our" includes you, as well. More basic English for you.

But then again, you're fully in support of giving $1 million to a homeless man for free, so it's not surprising.

Who knew that stay free mini pads could be so expensive? ;)

Reactions: PoS
Back
Top Bottom