• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LA bans store pet sales from commercial breeders

Northern Light

The Light of Truth
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Los Angeles Permanently Bans the Sale of Non-Rescue Cats & Dogs | The Catington Post

Under the new law, individuals can still buy animals from breeders if they want to, but retails shops cannot sell them – they are only permitted to adopt out animals that come from shelters, humane societies and registered rescue groups. This new ordinance was designed to target puppy mills and backyard breeders, and also to cut down on the vast number of animals that are euthanized in LA shelters every year.

Interesting idea. People already hashed this out in the comments section, so I'll summarize it here. On the one hand, what's the deal with telling a pet store what it can and cannot sell? On the other hand, we already do that with laws against exotic animals and what not.

This seems like a really sensible way to deal with overcrowding in shelters while still letting individuals seek out private pet breeders if they want to.

Sigh. Bravo Los Angeles for violating property rights...again.

Los Angeles Permanently Bans the Sale of Non-Rescue Cats & Dogs | The Catington Post

Interesting idea. People already hashed this out in the comments section, so I'll summarize it here. On the one hand, what's the deal with telling a pet store what it can and cannot sell? On the other hand, we already do that with laws against exotic animals and what not.

This seems like a really sensible way to deal with overcrowding in shelters while still letting individuals seek out private pet breeders if they want to.
It's an over-reaction. If people can still buy elsewhere, then this is just posturing, and hence pointless.

It's an over-reaction. If people can still buy elsewhere, then this is just posturing, and hence pointless.

Not if you own a pet store in LA. Then you are wondering how to get out of your lease.

It's called "regulating commerce" and it's in the constitution

It's called "regulating commerce" and it's in the constitution

what does the US constitution have to do with a state law unless it violates the bill of rights

its a stupid law which is frequently the case with the crap we see from a state that leads the nation in stupid laws

I have never purchased an animal from a pet store, always gone to shelters to adopt, seems like the right thing to do what with so many unwanted cats on death row. Besides, any rehoming fee will go back into the animals left behind, something that Petco I doubt does.

I have never purchased an animal from a pet store, always gone to shelters to adopt, seems like the right thing to do what with so many unwanted cats on death row. Besides, any rehoming fee will go back into the animals left behind, something that Petco I doubt does.

some of the big commercial pet supply stores in Ohio "sell" shelter animals. We obtained our two indoor cats from Petsmart and both were rescues. Sadly our Maine Coon cat has injections site sarcoma which has failed to yield to advanced chemo and radiation. Our Siberian Forrest Cat was another rescue we got through Petsmart as well. The latter is the best cat I have ever been around. There was an adoption fee for both that covered the spaying and initial shots.

some of the big commercial pet supply stores in Ohio "sell" shelter animals. We obtained our two indoor cats from Petsmart and both were rescues. Sadly our Maine Coon cat has injections site sarcoma which has failed to yield to advanced chemo and radiation. Our Siberian Forrest Cat was another rescue we got through Petsmart as well. The latter is the best cat I have ever been around. There was an adoption fee for both that covered the spaying and initial shots.

Yes, the major pet stores do seem to get there cats from local shelters, I prefer to give any $ direct to the shelter, the Pet stores always get there cut. I am sorry your Main Coon has not responded to the treatment. I do have a suggestion, and if it was my cat I would have no issue doing the same, medical cannabis, ya I know it sounds off the wall, but I have seen it be effective in dogs with arthritis, and cats with anxiety issue, always as a last resort when traditional meds do not cut it. Even the American Veterinary Association would like the drug moved to schedule 2 so clinical studies can be conducted on dogs and cats, and yes they do have the cannabis receptors. In the end its your cat, and you decide the treatment, at the very least it will increase his appetite and relax him.

Medical Marijuana for Animals: A Case for Compassion | Companion Animals | Living | PETA

Yes, the major pet stores do seem to get there cats from local shelters, I prefer to give any $ direct to the shelter, the Pet stores always get there cut. I am sorry your Main Coon has not responded to the treatment. I do have a suggestion, and if it was my cat I would have no issue doing the same, medical cannabis, ya I know it sounds off the wall, but I have seen it be effective in dogs with arthritis, and cats with anxiety issue, always as a last resort when traditional meds do not cut it. Even the American Veterinary Association would like the drug moved to schedule 2 so clinical studies can be conducted on dogs and cats, and yes they do have the cannabis receptors. In the end its your cat, and you decide the treatment, at the very least it will increase his appetite and relax him.

Medical Marijuana for Animals: A Case for Compassion | Companion Animals | Living | PETA

she has a tumor the size of a table tennis ball on her right hip. we had three choices

1) put her down

2) amputate the leg, with intensive chemo and radiation (30% chance of that working)

3) intensive Chemo, radiation, more chemo ((about the same chance)

fortunately, we can afford the rather steep cost for this-the unfortunate issue is it didn't work-

we did #3 which was the most expensive. the cancer came from vaccinations. Its a fairly well known issue

Fine by me (referencing the OP, not TD's cat).

she has a tumor the size of a table tennis ball on her right hip. we had three choices

1) put her down

2) amputate the leg, with intensive chemo and radiation (30% chance of that working)

3) intensive Chemo, radiation, more chemo ((about the same chance)

fortunately, we can afford the rather steep cost for this-the unfortunate issue is it didn't work-

we did #3 which was the most expensive. the cancer came from vaccinations. Its a fairly well known issue

Wow

Which injection was the cause of the cancer?

I know it sounds odd, and I will take flack for giving a sick animal cannabis, but I have seen it be effective for pain relief and increasing there appetite. If you want more info on the alternative method PM me, I can give you details on which strains and the dose. I hope your fur ball feels better, I do not have children so my cat is a substitute lol You do what you have to.

Wow

Which injection was the cause of the cancer?

I know it sounds odd, and I will take flack for giving a sick animal cannabis, but I have seen it be effective for pain relief and increasing there appetite. If you want more info on the alternative method PM me, I can give you details on which strains and the dose. I hope your fur ball feels better, I do not have children so my cat is a substitute lol You do what you have to.

the typical injection site for vaccinations in cats is the hip. Some vets are doing it in the skin by the shoulders because of this phenomena. In some cats, the stabilizing solution in the vaccine causes an inflammation which triggers a cancer

Injection-site Sarcomas in Cats » Small Animal Hospital » College of Veterinary Medicine » University of Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine-associated_sarcoma

the typical injection site for vaccinations in cats is the hip. Some vets are doing it in the skin by the shoulders because of this phenomena. In some cats, the stabilizing solution in the vaccine causes an inflammation which triggers a cancer

Injection-site Sarcomas in Cats » Small Animal Hospital » College of Veterinary Medicine » University of Florida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine-associated_sarcoma

I will check out the links, I was not aware of this problem. I have seen vets give the injections both in the hip/flank and the scruff/back of the neck, in the future I will insist the shot is in the latter.

What is going to happen the the puppies already in the store for sale? The pound and death?

What is going to happen the the puppies already in the store for sale? The pound and death?

I would imagine that the laws only apply to future acquisitions, not current stock.

I would imagine that the laws only apply to future acquisitions, not current stock.

Laws like this are usually grandfathered in, so those pets already for sale in the window should be exempt, depends on how the law is written.

Sigh. Bravo Los Angeles for violating property rights...again.

How? It's not telling pet stores they can't sell animals, it's making laws around the supply of animals.

I can't count the number of times I've walked into a pet store and wondered, "why are people buying these animals instead of animals at a shelter?" Finally LA has a solution, an obvious one that I hadn't considered.

I also can't understand why anyone would have a problem with this law. You seem to be disagreeing with it on principle, but is there any other reason?

what does the US constitution have to do with a state law unless it violates the bill of rights

its a stupid law which is frequently the case with the crap we see from a state that leads the nation in stupid laws

The 10th Amendment.

But I have to agree with you that, when it comes to stupid laws , the states pass more of those than the feds

The 10th Amendment.

But I have to agree with you that, when it comes to stupid laws , the states pass more of those than the feds

If people do not like the laws their state pass, they can feel free to move or they can toss their own hat into the ring to run for the job.

Petco doesn't sell dogs or cats. Neither does Petsmart. In fact, this will just hurt the small independent stores and they'll just move outside of LA.

Umm isn't anyone that sells puppies no matter the numbers involved in a commercial enterprise? California has some stupid laws, almost always go after the wrong end of a problem, nothing new there.

Petco doesn't sell dogs or cats. Neither does Petsmart. In fact, this will just hurt the small independent stores and they'll just move outside of LA.
As TD mentioned in a previous post, both Petco and PetsMart here "sell" shelter cats. I have a good friend who volunteers to clean their cages at Petco as she is a member of the rescue shelter they work with.

Neither store does dogs, though. At least not here.

Back
Top Bottom