• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

L.A. Riots

I'll post an article that made a lot of sense to me.

A Dismal Reality
It Wasn't Supposed To Be This Way

September 7. 2005

I was traveling in China when pictures of the looters in New Orleans began to appear on CNN. They were black of course. Looting and raping and burning are what blacks do when the lid loosens. Yes, I could phrase this more cautiously: These things are what some blacks, etc. or, more cutely, not all blacks are looters, but all looters..blah blah. Yet it happens time and again. There was Los Angeles, burned in 1992. There have been Cincinnati, Miami, Seattle, Washington DC, Chicago, Detroit, Crown Heights, Watts, Newark, on and on and on. When the law loses its grip, the looting begins.

We have come to expect it. Members of my tour group in China to whom I spoke assumed that the looters were black before watching. They had seen it before. I knew it before I saw the pictures. The looters are always black except when, occasionally, they are Latino. If they were looting for food it would be understandable. But that isn't what is happening. Few of us eat television sets. Nike's running shoes are not particularly digestible.*

With the dismantling in the Fifties of apartheid in the United States, many hoped that blacks would rise, study, progress, and become genuinely as distinct from formally integrated into the country. I hoped it too, though my expectations were low. Southerners said it would never happen, but were dismissed as prejudiced. They were right. The melding of the races just hasn't worked and, if examined honestly, shows few signs of working. Fifty years after the Brown decision, blacks remain unassimilated. They appear to be unassimilable. This, after endless programs, after the nation has turned itself on its head trying to encourage, promote, force, or imagine assimilation. Integration of the schools degraded the schools, but did little for blacks. Operation Head Start didn't work. Racial quotas in the universities didn't work, nor did the awarding of unearned degrees or the establishment of departments of Black Studies. Compulsory integration of restaurants didn't work. Quotas in hiring, enforced by the federal government, didn't work. Welfare didn't work. "Hate-crime" laws didn't work. Nothing has worked.

These attempts have not been without results, but assimilation of blacks into the country has not been one of them. Compelled hiring by race instead of merit has produced a black middle class, but those so hired are regarded as a sort of tax, a cost of doing business. Saying this aloud is a firing offense, so no one says it in the office. They say it later over a beer. This was not the intended outcome. It is what we got.

Neither race shows much inclination to associate with the other. Left to themselves, they quickly segregate, in housing, on campus, in night clubs. Only heavy federal pressure produces an appearance of togetherheid. As a police reporter frequently in the hearts of the big cities, I saw the failure with a clarity available to few. The black regions are huge, and they are purely black. Their denizens share little with a society of European derivation. In particular, with not enough exceptions, they seem to regard laws as restraints externally imposed instead of internally felt: When the police go away, so do restrictions on behavior. So do televisions. God help you if you are a white woman. If you don't believe this, check the Uniform Crime Reports of the FBI. They are on the web.

I am not sure with what instrument one measures passivity, but passivity is what I sensed in the moldering dark regions-people just waiting, for what neither I nor they knew, just going from day to day, except for the gangs, who killed people. There was a smell of violence awaiting its chance. If you think I am imagining this, reflect on the looting and burning that erupt when the lid grows loose. Always there is another city with young blacks carrying television sets from stores.

I do not say these things with rejoicing. Morally it is saddening. For blacks, for whites, for the country the best thing would be that blacks genuinely flourish. They do not. Something seems inherent in the race, or perhaps embedded in the culture, that does not understand success or morals or responsibility as others understand them. Perhaps, as many suggest, a history of being wards of the state, of being given special aid and special privilege, of having nothing expected of them, has inculcated passivity. Perhaps the persistently noted difference in measured IQ is the explanation. Be that as it may, the blacks of the rioting regions seem to labor under a crippling torpor and a dull, paralyzing lack of concern for those things that define European societies. Or, for that matter, Chinese or Japanese societies. Scholarship, reading, study do not seem to appeal. In Washington, I almost never saw blacks in the art galleries, the museums, or the public libraries. The races do not appear to want the same things, do not value the same things.

Writers speaking of the looting in New Orleans regularly say that poverty causes looting, and that as a society we should do something about it. But why are blacks poor, and what could society do that it has not already tried? Blacks are always poor, in Africa, in Haiti and Jamaica, in New Orleans. It is a global pattern. Would that it were not, but it is. No one knows what to do about it.

With the inevitability of gravitation, commentators attribute the incompatibility with what we think of as civilization to oppression or neglect by whites. Oh? In Washington, the mayor is usually black, along with a majority of the city council and school board. The principals are black, as are most of the teachers, almost all of the students, and their parents. The funding per student is high. Yet the schools are horrifically bad.

Washington could have any schools it wanted: It is hard to imagine anyone denying blacks better textbooks or forbidding the assignment of more homework. I conclude that they do have the schools they want. Perhaps they don't want schools at all.

Yes, there are exceptions, and they too flee the city's schools. Unfortunately the exceptions are exceptions. I will receive mail from blacks telling me that what I am saying is wrong. I wish it were. Yet the riots continue decade after decade and the academic necrosis never clears. The unseen downtowns wait, dead in the water, profoundly isolated from America by their size and homogeneity. From time to time they have exploded, and will explode.

Years back Carl Rowan, the black columnist, wrote a book called "The Coming Race War in America." It couldn't quite be ignored, but could be ignored mostly, and was. Though he had moved extensively among whites, Rowan had little grasp of how whites think. He believed that they wanted to grind their heels in black faces. That he was wrong doesn't matter. If he believed it, one may imagine what the young black males of East St. Louis think. Rowan wrote also of the anger and hatred seething in such places. He had seen it. I have seen it.

What will happen if, or when, the economy weakens under rising Asian competition, if good jobs are shipped to India and gasoline hits unheard of prices and the standard of living falls hard? Under the imposed amity of today there lurks powerful resentment on both sides. Prosperity has held things together. A flourishing nation can afford affirmative action. But when prosperity goes so will the amity. I can think of no solution other than a passport and a Euro account.

http://www.fredoneverything.net/KatrinaRiots.shtml

Last edited:
GySgt said:
They were black of course. Looting and raping and burning are what blacks do when the lid loosens.

http://www.fredoneverything.net/KatrinaRiots.shtml

Fred's a shallow bigot that's either not smart enough to understand the issues or too bigoted to care. His analysis is shallow and wrong.

The worst riot in US history was the New York draft riots. Last time I checked, Irishmen ain't black. No one I know thinks blacks hired today are quota-fillers. They do their jobs as well as anyone. Of course, I don't work for the DMV, but that's unionized, which makes a huge differene.

The reason riots happen as they do, apparently all-black, all-urban, and all poor is that the white trash doesn't live in the cities, so there's no dense population to create the mass hysteria that characterizes riots, nor is there the dense stores of wealth to rob. Does anyone want to argue that white trash is better than black trash? That would be amusing. Trash is trash.

Needless to say, there were white looters, and I'm not just talking about NOPD. But the media politely called them "people looking for food".

Shall we talk about sports fan riots? Those crowds are remarkably "diverse", aren't they? And the reason the white boys are looting is because their side won? I don't excuse riots, not in the least, but I have to place the stresses caused by a hurricane and total abandonment by civil authories as a better excuse than glee.

And the races maintain seperate sub-cultures in part because of idiots like Fred, and his alter-egos, Jesse and Al, who profit from race division. Where would the Democrats be if they couldn't claim Clinton was the First Black President?

Then the blacks in this country have a legitimate history of oppression. Why should they simply discard their culture and assimilate the culture of their oppressors? Their african heritage gives them a unique link, and there's no reason why it shouldn't. Which isn't to say they can identify any segment of african culture that is superior to the American slice of Western Culture, but pride stopped being related to achievement long long ago. Look at the Irish. Look at the French.

Another cause of racial friction is the natural attractives of asian women compared to the pallid ghastliness of the european women and the kinky-haired big butted black women. So the women seek to carve out seperate cultures to protect their access to males.

And that's nature. Nothing will ever change that.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Fred's a shallow bigot that's either not smart enough to understand the issues or too bigoted to care. His analysis is shallow and wrong.

The worst riot in US history was the New York draft riots. Last time I checked, Irishmen ain't black. No one I know thinks blacks hired today are quota-fillers. They do their jobs as well as anyone. Of course, I don't work for the DMV, but that's unionized, which makes a huge differene.

The reason riots happen as they do, apparently all-black, all-urban, and all poor is that the white trash doesn't live in the cities, so there's no dense population to create the mass hysteria that characterizes riots, nor is there the dense stores of wealth to rob. Does anyone want to argue that white trash is better than black trash? That would be amusing. Trash is trash.

Needless to say, there were white looters, and I'm not just talking about NOPD. But the media politely called them "people looking for food".

Shall we talk about sports fan riots? Those crowds are remarkably "diverse", aren't they? And the reason the white boys are looting is because their side won? I don't excuse riots, not in the least, but I have to place the stresses caused by a hurricane and total abandonment by civil authories as a better excuse than glee.

And the races maintain seperate sub-cultures in part because of idiots like Fred, and his alter-egos, Jesse and Al, who profit from race division. Where would the Democrats be if they couldn't claim Clinton was the First Black President?

Then the blacks in this country have a legitimate history of oppression. Why should they simply discard their culture and assimilate the culture of their oppressors? Their african heritage gives them a unique link, and there's no reason why it shouldn't. Which isn't to say they can identify any segment of african culture that is superior to the American slice of Western Culture, but pride stopped being related to achievement long long ago. Look at the Irish. Look at the French.

Another cause of racial friction is the natural attractives of asian women compared to the pallid ghastliness of the european women and the kinky-haired big butted black women. So the women seek to carve out seperate cultures to protect their access to males.

And that's nature. Nothing will ever change that.

All good points.

I know this isn't really considered history, but unfortunately, it is a part of our past. And a dark, bad one at that. I had a discussion with a co-worker today about this topic. It seems in the early 90's, Rodney King was beaten for driving down the freeway 100 mph, high as a kite,and with drug parphenalia on him. A nearby person taped the cops beating him, but failed to show the beginning, where I'm sure he resisted. I realize the cops were using "excessive force", but if this law- breaking stoner wouldn't have resisted in the first place, it wouldn't have went down like that. I know this goes against my deep-rooted beliefs, but bare with me here. So after this, the pre-historic, cavemen, in south-central Los Angles starting rioting. They were trashing they're very own neighborhoods, looting, and terrorizing (I shouldn't really say this, but the oppositte skin color). I remember seeing the primates ripping out a trucker, I belive was Reginald Denney, and bludgening him. I know I shouldn't say this, but I wish the military would have went in sooner, and any looter would be shot on the spot. They should have went in with RPGs or heavy machine guns, IMO. They weren't even looting basic necessaties, they were taking Big screen TVs, and such. Of course the beatings. It was absurd. I finally seen with my own two eyes how modern America can turn into a dam jungle.

Damn and I thought you were a liberal.Because most liberals(not to generalize) would state that the police are evil and the looters were fighting oppression and rebeling in a racist society or some garbage like that.

My opinion of the L.A riots is that the media who repeatedly shown the video should be held criminally and finiancially responsible for the damage that occured and the lives lost.The national Guard should have been sent aired a warning and then proceed to shoot any looters/rioters who refused to go home.

jamesrage said:
Damn and I thought you were a liberal.Because most liberals(not to generalize) would state that the police are evil and the looters were fighting oppression and rebeling in a racist society or some garbage like that.

True, I am a Liberal, but not all libs are alike.

My opinion of the L.A riots is that the media who repeatedly shown the video should be held criminally and finiancially responsible for the damage that occured and the lives lost.The national Guard should have been sent aired a warning and then proceed to shoot any looters/rioters who refused to go home.

Do you think the media shouldn't have reported on this? kept America in the dark about the unlawfulness going down in our own backyard?

Originally posted by kal-el:
Do you think the media shouldn't have reported on this? kept America in the dark about the unlawfulness going down in our own backyard?

From what I remember incidences of alledge police brutality occured and when the media aired the videos or the excessive force riots in other cities happened.
Seeing how scum want a excuse to be scum perhaps we should remove their excuses.

jamesrage said:
From what I remember incidences of alledge police brutality occured and when the media aired the videos or the excessive force riots in other cities happened.
Seeing how scum want a excuse to be scum perhaps we should remove their excuses.

True, but "scum" as you so aptly put it, have proven that they will act like the savages they apparently are over the littlest thing.

Originally Posted by jamesrage:

Are you for truth? Or are you for lies? Do you believe in honesty? Or do you believe in dis-honesty? The film footage was truth. Any way you want to spin it, it was what happened. The truth should never be hidden under any conditions.

I do not think the police are evil. They are generally very intelligent people doing a very difficult job of which they are never given enough credit when they do it right. I also do not think the looters were fighting oppression. As I already stated, that is not the right way to address your grievences.

But don't you for one minute try to justify to me that what those cops did was in any way legal. They got off pretty light. That Simi Valley jury was FOS. I hope they all go to hell. The trial was a joke.

Billo_Really said:
Are you for truth? Or are you for lies? Do you believe in honesty? Or do you believe in dis-honesty? The film footage was truth. Any way you want to spin it, it was what happened. The truth should never be hidden under any conditions.

I do not think the police are evil. They are generally very intelligent people doing a very difficult job of which they are never given enough credit when they do it right. I also do not think the looters were fighting oppression. As I already stated, that is not the right way to address your grievences.

But don't you for one minute try to justify to me that what those cops did was in any way legal. They got off pretty light. That Simi Valley jury was FOS. I hope they all go to hell. The trial was a joke.

It was made even. OJ went free.

The film footage was a half truth,wasn't it you or some other liberal that said a half truth is almost the same as a lie?
Half of what happened was shown to portray Rodney king just a innocent bystander who was pulled over an beat for amusement.It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you show something like a cop beating a blackman scum will use this as a excuse to act like scum,reguardless if the black guy resisted arrest,molested twenty children,tried to shoot everyone,started swinging and still swinging at the cop.

I guess when my generalization of liberals on how they view this case was right on the money when it came to you.

True, but "scum" as you so aptly put it, have proven that they will act like the savages they apparently are over the littlest thing.

You do make a good point.You can see this in almost any poor nieghborhood.

The film footage was a half truth,wasn't it you or some other liberal that said a half truth is almost the same as a lie?
Half of what happened was shown to portray Rodney king just a innocent bystander who was pulled over an beat for amusement.It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you show something like a cop beating a blackman scum will use this as a excuse to act like scum,reguardless if the black guy resisted arrest,molested twenty children,tried to shoot everyone,started swinging and still swinging at the cop.
I was just commenting on what I saw on film.

I guess when my generalization of liberals on how they view this case was right on the money when it came to you.
Who ever said I was a liberal?

Originally posted by GySgt:
It was made even. OJ went free.
That's another trial that was a joke. OJ is as guilty as sin.

Sometimes you have to break the law if you really want to be free
So that the media is focused
Racism is alive and well in America only now its in the back alleys
lets not pretend that it is vanquished
you can see it in every poor neighborhood in the schools and the squalor
of america's forgotten peoples back yard

looking the other way wont solve it

Canuck said:

LOL Forgotten People.....

And what solves it?

MORE welfare programs?
MORE incentive programs?
MORE entitlement programs?
MORE quotas?
MORE seperation?

Canuck said:

Who is this person?

GySgt said:
Who is this person?

Another canadian bitching about the US from under our umbrella?

kal-el said:

The media has an obligation to present the TRUTH.

In the Rodney King situation, the media deliberately withheld relevant information that completely negated the message they were selling. If the initial segments of the tape showing King throwing off two tasers and mobs of cops like the Incredible Hulk had been aired as often as the finally subduing scene, public opinion would have been an INFORMED opinion, and it would have been a hell of a lot less sympathetic to dear Rodney.

Canuck said:

Pretty funny to read that from a country with a seperatist minority that's slowing winning it's seccession battle.

Originally Posted by Billo_Really
I was just commenting on what I saw on film.

The film was a half truth.It would be the same as if I video taped you throwing a few punches at someone but I did not video tape the before part where you were getting your ass stomped by this guy and just for amusement I give this tape to the media so they can paint you as a racist who likes likes punching innocent black people.

Originally Posted by Billo_Really
Who ever said I was a liberal?

I read your opinions on other threads.Plus your avatar is the picture of the fake conservative with two butt cheeks on his forehead..

Originally posted by jamesrage:
The film was a half truth.It would be the same as if I video taped you throwing a few punches at someone but I did not video tape the before part where you were getting your ass stomped by this guy and just for amusement I give this tape to the media so they can paint you as a racist who likes likes punching innocent black people.
Whatever happened before did not justify what I saw on film.

Back
Top Bottom