• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kyrsten Sinema Is Carrying The GOP In Washington

The Arizona Democratic Party's executive board announced Saturday that it has formally censured moderate Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema after she refused to vote in favor of changing the filibuster to pass voting legislation.

"I want to be clear, the Arizona Democratic Party is a diverse coalition with plenty of room for policy disagreements, however on the matter of the filibuster and the urgency to protect voting rights, we have been crystal clear," Arizona Democratic Party Chair Raquel Terán said in a statement. "In the choice between an archaic legislative norm and protecting Arizonans’ right to vote, we choose the latter, and we always will."

You can read the rest of their claims for yourself.

I only hope the AZ GOP can capitalize on this.

Would this be considered part of what is referenced as cancel culture ?
After reading about GOP changes to AZ voting, what is it about those changes you feel warrant more federal control of voting in every state?
How are AZ citizens restricted in voting?
Shouldn't Dems be more focused on winning state elections as opposed to whining about what the GOP has done in their state?
Like Obama once said, "Elections have consequences".

Arizona​

Key changes: Arizona has passed several measures, most notably SB 1485, which changes the state’s popular Permanent Early Voting List into an “active” voter list, meaning thousands of voters could be removed from the list. GOP lawmakers have also expanded ballot signature requirements and stripped some election power from the Democratic secretary of state.

A much more thoughtful article. Unlike the one above:

No one can fully discern why Sinema has positioned herself as one of two Democratic senators opposing the party-approved social spending agenda, least of all her left-wing constituents, some of whom feel betrayed and plan to launch a primary challenger when she’s up for reelection in 2024. She hasn’t done much to ingratiate herself, with her obnoxious thumbs-down vote on a federal minimum wage increase, her lackadaisical approach to issues like immigration reform and voting rights, and her much-maligned defense of the filibuster, causing protests outside her Phoenix office, at a wedding and, most notoriously, inside a bathroom on Arizona State’s campus.

But Kyrsten Sinema was no quitter. In 2004, the same year she graduated from law school, she ran as a Democrat and finally won a seat in the state House. Early on, she struggled. Sinema tells us so in her 2009 autobiographical treatise, “Unite and Conquer: How to Build Coalitions That Win and Last.” She was a “bomb thrower” — someone who makes fiery, indignant speeches that accomplish nothing. So she reinvented herself. The new Sinema was a deal-maker unafraid to work with anyone on anything she saw as productive. Her strategy helped pass more legislation — and also boosted her political career. After six years in the House, she jumped to the Arizona Senate for two years, then to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012. And when Jeff Flake vacated his Senate seat in 2018, she jumped on it, too.

A much more thoughtful article. Unlike the one above:

No one can fully discern why Sinema has positioned herself as one of two Democratic senators opposing the party-approved social spending agenda, least of all her left-wing constituents, some of whom feel betrayed and plan to launch a primary challenger when she’s up for reelection in 2024. She hasn’t done much to ingratiate herself, with her obnoxious thumbs-down vote on a federal minimum wage increase, her lackadaisical approach to issues like immigration reform and voting rights, and her much-maligned defense of the filibuster, causing protests outside her Phoenix office, at a wedding and, most notoriously, inside a bathroom on Arizona State’s campus.

But Kyrsten Sinema was no quitter. In 2004, the same year she graduated from law school, she ran as a Democrat and finally won a seat in the state House. Early on, she struggled. Sinema tells us so in her 2009 autobiographical treatise, “Unite and Conquer: How to Build Coalitions That Win and Last.” She was a “bomb thrower” — someone who makes fiery, indignant speeches that accomplish nothing. So she reinvented herself. The new Sinema was a deal-maker unafraid to work with anyone on anything she saw as productive. Her strategy helped pass more legislation — and also boosted her political career. After six years in the House, she jumped to the Arizona Senate for two years, then to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012. And when Jeff Flake vacated his Senate seat in 2018, she jumped on it, too.

Hikerguy
It wasn't clear if you were praising Sinema or criticizing her for a stance on a number of issues. Presumably, if you are a Conservative, you should be thankful she and Manchin are preventing more trillions from being spent by Biden and his wrong-headed Progressives.
Do you want her to hold her obstructionist Senate seat or not?

Activists ambush Sen. Kyrsten Sinema in public bathroom over immigration, infrastructure​

Julie Luchetta
Arizona Republic

I know it really galls my conservative friends, but the Sinema was the product of a failed GOP process for finding and running a good candidate.

I am conservative.

And Sinema is my hero.

She is stalling off the progressives effort to pass a massive spending bill.

She is not popular with democrats in the state.

But she's pretty popular with republicans.

Who still don't have a good candidate to run against Mark Kelly.
@jaypatriot

I hope this answers your question. Third line of my post.

I think you misread my post.

I don't extoll her to irritate anyone.

The fact that I do extoll her irritates my conservative friends (however, some are starting to see her differently).

I am a conservative. I voted for Trump twice.

I am also from AZ.

I would vote for a more conservative candidate instead of Sinema.

But, for now, she is doing a great job.
A great job you say. She is obstructing everything the dems in her state elected her to fight for.

So, she's really not doing anything. She's just a paper weight. Getting rich off her republican donors. As is Manchin.

A great job you say. She is obstructing everything the dems in her state elected her to fight for.

So, she's really not doing anything. She's just a paper weight. Getting rich off her republican donors. As is Manchin.
Sinema and Manchin are both blocking policies that are not good for the country:
Like more superfluous spending packages; getting rid of the filibuster; an unnecessary national voting rights law; hundreds of billions for unneeded climate change programs.
I think they are both doing a great job right where they are.

A great job you say.

Yes I do...fantastic job. Wonderful. Love her. I say

She is obstructing everything the dems in her state elected her to fight for.

You from Arizona ? It wasn't just dems in AZ that voted for her. She had a number of crossover votes and did well with the indies.
So, she's really not doing anything.

Then why is the left so butt-hurt about her ? And why is she watched so closely in the press. And why are left wing jackasses following her into bathroom ?

She must be doing something right.

I'd love to congratulate her right in front of some of those morons.
She's just a paper weight. Getting rich off her republican donors.

You've got her financials ? Pray tell....please share.

As is Manchin.

Manchin is already rich.

Sinema and Manchin are both blocking policies that are not good for the country:
Like more superfluous spending packages; getting rid of the filibuster; an unnecessary national voting rights law; hundreds of billions for unneeded climate change programs.
I think they are both doing a great job right where they are.

Yep....it's great she and Manchin are carrying the GOP water.

I hope those idiots in the GOP get it figured out soon.

Yep....it's great she and Manchin are carrying the GOP water.

I hope those idiots in the GOP get it figured out soon.
Why wouldn't the GOP already understand that Manchin and Sinema are doing the GOP work for them?
The GOP has "idiots" who don't already know how important those two are to blocking dumb and questionable legislation?

Why wouldn't the GOP already understand that Manchin and Sinema are doing the GOP work for them?
The GOP has "idiots" who don't already know how important those two are to blocking dumb and questionable legislation?

My apologies....

What I meant was....

1. I hope the GOP figures out to get and KEEP the senate.

2. I had to go home sick when I learned the Georgia results.

3. The GOP at the national level simply sucks.

David Weil, Biden’s pick, served in the position from 2014 until the end of President Obama’s tenure as president. The final vote was 47-53. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema and Sen. Mark Kelly, both from Arizona, and West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin voted against moving forward with Weil’s nomination, Politico reported.

My apologies....

What I meant was....

1. I hope the GOP figures out to get and KEEP the senate.

2. I had to go home sick when I learned the Georgia results.

3. The GOP at the national level simply sucks.
I can understand your points 1, 2, and 3.
Trump caused the Senate to be lost to the Dems.
He just could not shut up about fraudulent votes and what the GOP in GA could expect of the Senate vote down there.
He lost the House, then the presidency, and finally the Senate.

I can understand your points 1, 2, and 3.
Trump caused the Senate to be lost to the Dems.
He just could not shut up about fraudulent votes and what the GOP in GA could expect of the Senate vote down there.
He lost the House, then the presidency, and finally the Senate.

Which is what makes Sinema so important.

She (a democrat) is the one who's been stuffing it to the left this past year.

I love it.

Which is what makes Sinema so important.

She (a democrat) is the one who's been stuffing it to the left this past year.

I love it.
The GOP needs Sinema and Manchin after the way Trump screwed his own party.
But if you believe Trump, Dems own the White House and lost Congress because of voter fraud.
I can only hope Trump becomes a vision in the GOP's rear view mirror.

But if you believe Trump, Dems own the White House and lost Congress because of voter fraud.

Given the high degree of mistrust, elections in all states need to be squeaky clean.

While that wasn't the case in 2020, I don't believe anything was stolen.

I agree with your last sentence.

A glorious day in Washington, D.C.!​

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, for once, is irrelevant​

Sinema must be furious.

1648840097463.png

Back
Top Bottom