• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kyrsten Sinema: Dems hypocritical for trying to end filibuster after using it 'just last year'

small minority party-the one that runs a majority of the states?
What is the population breakdown of Republican representation to the population as a whole?

...which, of course, was in response to Mitch McConnell gumming up the works and refusing to affirm far too many Obama appointees.... we can go on and on.

The problem is that the filibuster has been misused... used only to gum up the works. Like any power, it needs to be used sparingly. Using the power on everything is an abuse of power.

I've neither blamed Republicans or Democrats exclusively. Both parties are just as guilty of misusing the filibuster, as well as dropping the rule for majority party convenience. Short term win for Democrats if they nuke the filibuster, and what goes around comes around when they are in the minority.

Nor does Scott represent everyone in Florida. I have noticed a pattern of conservative senators referring to their supporters as their constituents, as though they don't represent the people of their state who didn't vote for them. And they have become increasingly extremist in their views, narrowing down who they truly represent even more.
In a moral sense, you do not represent the people who didn’t vote for you.

And in a society where the opposition i.e. the left, is becoming increasingly unhinge from reality to the point where they declare that men can become women, there is no reason to even pretend it.

I think this is one of the things Carl Schmitt wrote about in his critique of democracy

300+ times Dems used the filibuster last year and whadayaknow? It wasn't racist when they did it..

Because they didn’t use it to kill voting rights bills.

However, you point out why it needs to go: the two sides simply block now. Time to do some legislating and let the public decide which way they want to go.

Everything about the filibuster is hypocritical shit show, opinions on this shift depending entirely on who is in the minority and majority positions in the Senate relative to the party in the White House.

The filibuster has been haphazardly applied over the years, edited every now and then (vote thresholds and cloture,) and overall intention did not match result.

All duopoly did was accelerate how disastrous the idea has unfolded, confirming how in the bubble politicians really are.

This is nothing more than a tool used by tools having nothing to do with actually handling a matter of importance. In concept it may be otherwise, but in application... nothing of value.

I've neither blamed Republicans or Democrats exclusively. Both parties are just as guilty of misusing the filibuster, as well as dropping the rule for majority party convenience. Short term win for Democrats if they nuke the filibuster, and what goes around comes around when they are in the minority.

I don't think the filibuster should be nuked, but it should be reformed. The idea that you need a super-majority to get things down in Washington is just wrong. The abuse of the filibuster is the thought that you should have 60 votes to move legislation. I have no problem with the talking filibuster.

I do think, however, we should have a 66 vote threshold to have a SCOTUS or Court of Appeals justice approved.

You know that's why we separated from you, and other reasons. You were damaging the country.
This is your only shtick being against liberals. Its why you cant govern.

The states are given the constitutional authority to structure their elections as they see fit. The federal government is not. So there’s that.
.... but the states can not violate civil rights in the process. The Federal government has jurisdiction there.

Sinema should know McConnel will go nuclear on all his agendas no matter what. Hes even threatening to filibuster any of Biden’s judicial nominations. The GOP is completely shameless so you shouldnt take their threats seriously. Quit worrying, McConnel is going to do it anyway.

The states are given the constitutional authority to structure their elections as they see fit. The federal government is not. So there’s that.
Yes, the feds have power over state elections. Study your Constitution and its commentaries.

You know that's why we separated from you, and other reasons. You were damaging the country.
??? You are aware that people can be citizens of both the US and the UK.

Back
Top Bottom