• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kyle Rittenhouse special

Yes, he was in violation of WI open carry law.

How?

Wisconsin Legislature: 948.60
948.60 Possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18.
(1) In this section, “dangerous weapon" means any firearm, loaded or unloaded;
(2)
(a) Any person under 18 years of age who possesses or goes armed with a dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(3)
This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593. This section applies only to an adult who transfers a firearm to a person under 18 years of age if the person under 18 years of age is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593 or to an adult who is in violation of s. 941.28.

941.28 Possession of short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
(1) In this section:

(b) “Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels having a length of less than 16 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a rifle having an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(c) “Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels having a length of less than 18 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(2) No person may sell or offer to sell, transport, purchase, possess or go armed with a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
(3) Any person violating this section is guilty of a Class H felony.
History: 1979 c. 115; 2001 a. 109.
29.304 Restrictions on hunting and use of firearms by persons under 16 years of age.
29.593 Requirement for certificate of accomplishment to obtain hunting approval.
(1)
29.593(1)(a)(a) Except as provided under subs. (2), (2m) and (3), and s. 29.592 (1), no person born on or after January 1, 1973, may obtain any approval authorizing hunting unless the person is issued a certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591.
He appears to have been in compliance with 941.28, 29.304 and 29.593, so the age restrictions in 948.60 don't apply to a 17 year old.

Anyone who shoots a child sex offender should be given a medal not charged with a crime.

How?

(2)
(a) Any person under 18 years of age who possesses or goes armed with a dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(3)
This section applies only to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a rifle or a shotgun if the person is in violation of s. 941.28 or is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593. This section applies only to an adult who transfers a firearm to a person under 18 years of age if the person under 18 years of age is not in compliance with ss. 29.304 and 29.593 or to an adult who is in violation of s. 941.28.

(1) In this section:

(b) “Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels having a length of less than 16 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a rifle having an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(c) “Short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one or more barrels having a length of less than 18 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a shotgun having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(2) No person may sell or offer to sell, transport, purchase, possess or go armed with a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
29.304 Restrictions on hunting and use of firearms by persons under 16 years of age.
29.593 Requirement for certificate of accomplishment to obtain hunting approval.
(1)
29.593(1)(a)(a) Except as provided under subs. (2), (2m) and (3), and s. 29.592 (1), no person born on or after January 1, 1973, may obtain any approval authorizing hunting unless the person is issued a certificate of accomplishment under s. 29.591.
He appears to have been in compliance with 941.28, 29.304 and 29.593, so the age restrictions in 948.60 don't apply to a 17 year old.

Wisconsin Legislature: 948.60(2)(a)
935AA0F6-5CEA-49A4-BD60-C99E537DFA23.jpg

You're entitled to your own opinion. You aren't entitled to your own reality.

Both you and zsu are trying to come off as if you're a couple of defense attorneys and yet you don't have any more resources than I have, MSNBC not being one of them because what I saw came from uploads to social media.

Both you and zsu are trying to come off as if you're a couple of defense attorneys and yet you don't have any more resources than I have, MSNBC not being one of them because what I saw came from uploads to social media.

I'm just quoting the law. Feel free to find fault with that.

WOW !
I am shocked and impressed by the number of JDs in residence here at DP,
seemingly, advocates mixed with persecutors.(not a misspell)
who'd uh thunk it ?

Yes, I noted the excerpt of the entire law that you are looking at just the first part of.

Read the whole thing, where the exceptions are noted. Seriously, it's right in what I posted.
And I posted the charges against Rittenhouse.
52E6CF28-D897-41FB-A999-A3E02AF72589.jpg

Dumb, empty argument.

Uhm, because it describes what Rittenhouse did?

Seriously, what legal expertise do you have to argue against the charge?

Other than appeal to authority, what expertise do you have to support it?

Here's the pertinent sections of the law again:

(2)
(3)

(1) In this section:

(1)

He didn't have an SBR. He's above 16. He wasn't hunting without a certificate of accomplishment. Based on that, there is nothing that supports charging a seventeen year old with open carry in public. The law as written doesn't apply to him. Admittedly, it's a terribly written law. That's not my problem.

WOW !
I am shocked and impressed by the number of JDs in residence here at DP,
seemingly, advocates mixed with persecutors.(not a misspell)
who'd uh thunk it ?

I believe I am the only poster who has stated as being a former federal prosecutor. I know Harshaw, Captain Adverse both claim to be attorneys and I believe that to be so

Dumb, empty argument.

Uhm, because it describes what Rittenhouse did?

Seriously, what legal expertise do you have to argue against the charge?

are your arguments really based on the law or are they colored by the fact that you are a Trump hater and KR is a Trump supporter: and on top of that, the Trump haters are attacking him, while Trump supporters tend to see what he did as lawful self defense?

I believe I am the only poster who has stated as being a former federal prosecutor. I know Harshaw, Captain Adverse both claim to be attorneys and I believe that to be so

yeahhhhh, I am aware of the three of you. It was the basis of thought for my satirical observation..
Thinkin' y'all might be getting great humor with some of the arguments..
Have a great night TD

Other than appeal to authority, what expertise do you have to support it?

Here's the pertinent sections of the law again:

(2)
(3)

(1) In this section:

(1)

He didn't have an SBR. He's above 16. He wasn't hunting without a certificate of accomplishment. Based on that, there is nothing that supports charging a seventeen year old with open carry in public. The law as written doesn't apply to him. Admittedly, it's a terribly written law. That's not my problem.
I wasn’t aware that there’s such a thing as having expertise in “appeal to authority”. Conversely, you must be an expert in “clueless rebellion”?

The law, as written, clearly applies to Rittenhouse.

Apparently not.

(2)
(3)

(1) In this section:

(1)

That states he was carrying illegally.

are your arguments really based on the law or are they colored by the fact that you are a Trump hater and KR is a Trump supporter: and on top of that, the Trump haters are attacking him, while Trump supporters tend to see what he did as lawful self defense?
My disdain for Trump doesn’t influence me, and doesn’t change the facts.

Rittenhouse is a kid with major psychological/psychiatric issues. His political beliefs alone makes no difference.

You really ought to know better by now that my opinion of any official doesn’t taint my integrity. I’ve been very critical of Trump because of what he says and does, period. I have also criticized Dem/libs for their faults.

My disdain for Trump doesn’t influence me, and doesn’t change the facts.

Rittenhouse is a kid with major psychological/psychiatric issues. His political beliefs alone makes no difference.

You really ought to know better by now that my opinion of any official doesn’t taint my integrity. I’ve been very critical of Trump because of what he says and does, period. I have also criticized Dem/libs for their faults.

as opposed to the convicted felons he shot? what are your qualifications to make such a statement

the mope he shot in the arm, apparently is a convicted felon. that injured rioter, was holding a handgun. That is a federal felony

=RaleBulgarian;1072609319]My disdain for Trump doesn’t influence me, and doesn’t change the facts.

Tell me, when Trump won did you throw your head back and scream your lungs out?
Rittenhouse is a kid with major psychological/psychiatric issues.

I would like to see how you came to this conclusion. In other words a link to a reputable doctor.

His political beliefs alone makes no difference.

So then assuming the guy with the handgun would have "emptied the mag" into Rittenhouse it would have been all cool? Just another peaceful rioter that happened to bring a gun. Move along nothing to see here.

But mostly criticize Trump from day one. And yes I've seen you criticize Libs, but only since they pretty much aligned themselves with us.

Huh. Here's what you need to do. Re-read what you replied to on post 41.

Originally Posted by Rucker61

Kind of a head start.

Huh. Here's what you need to do. Re-read what you replied to on post 41.

Kind of a head start.

But my *proof* is he was charged with carrying an illegal weapon.

DA doesn’t agree.

But my *proof* is he was charged with carrying an illegal weapon.

Oh, I guess that settles it. He was charged, so he's guilty. No trial necessary then, for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom