• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kyiv will investigate video that appears to show Ukrainian forces shooting Russian prisoners of war

Kreton

Doesn't know
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Across the street from the family across the stree
Political Leaning
Independent

Seems like there is at least some truth to this. And while against the Geneva convention and acts of war Ukraine did not enter a war. They are being invaded. I personally wasn't bothered by this.

Men in Russian military uniforms lie bloody on the ground, stunned, with mangled legs. More men, their hands trussed behind their backs, step from a teal van, kneel to the ground and are shot behind the kneecap at point-blank range, screaming in pain.

Could be propaganda... ie, Russians switching gear with Ukranian prisoners and shooting them. Russians shooting their own (say, soldiers captured while attempting to desert).

Or could indeed be Ukranians shooting Russians. With so many civilians fighting and fighting for their lives on their home soil, I would imagine that the combination of lack of training and zeal will lead to crimes like that.

If this is true, I would think the Russians would be blaring the story from the rooftops. This war certainly shows the Russian propaganda machine isn’t up to the task.

Seems like there is at least some truth to this. And while against the Geneva convention and acts of war Ukraine did not enter a war. They are being invaded. I personally wasn't bothered by this.

Funnily enough, war crimes are bad even if you agree with those carrying them out.

Link to full video - short/longer one
Not posting the videos

Dated am - 29 March

"It should be noted that this clip is from the end of the longer video video sequence showing the POWs, so filmed after all the other footage of the POWs. The full video can be viewed here (graphic)'

Funnily enough, war crimes are bad even if you agree with those carrying them out.

I don't view these as war crimes. This is more akin to shooting someone breaking into your house, killing some of your family and then you shoot them. These Russians are invaders. They are murdering families.

I don't view these as war crimes. This is more akin to shooting someone breaking into your house, killing some of your family and then you shoot them. These Russians are invaders. They are murdering families.

I am of the view that these videos are fake, lack of blood, lack of overpenetration, lack of concern for nearby comrades, methods etc.

All that being said, shooting a bound prisoner of war is a crime no matter how you cut it. If you start taking the position that shooting a prisoner on side A is ok because of X, then side A is likely going to treat your prisoners and civilians similarly poorly. It is in everyone's best interest to not start mistreating prisoners.

You not viewing it as a war crime doesn’t change the fact that it is, in fact, a war crime.

POWs are no threat to anyone. Abusing and torturing them is utterly despicable, period. It also gives the other side an incentive to do the same to the guys on your side who surrender.

We were invaders in Iraq and Afghanistan. By that “logic”, there would have been nothing wrong with the Taliban or ISIS torturing Americans they captured. Are you starting to see the problem yet?

You not viewing it as a war crime doesn’t change the fact that it is, in fact, a war crime.

POWs are no threat to anyone. Abusing and torturing them is utterly despicable, period. It also gives the other side an incentive to do the same to the guys on your side who surrender.

We were invaders in Iraq and Afghanistan. By that “logic”, there would have been nothing wrong with the Taliban or ISIS torturing Americans they captured. Are you starting to see the problem yet?

No, I have no problem with invaders being executed. These are the same people destroying their country and murdering their families. Not their military members, they are bombing civilians. Intentionally. I am fine with any thing that happens to them. Wearing a uniform doesn't change that.

The US didn't do that in Iraq. The US targeted Isis areas, while there were some unintentional civilian casualties which are unfortunate, it is the not same as bombing hospitals, and schools to kill civilians.

No, I have no problem with invaders being executed. These are the same people destroying their country and murdering their families. Not their military members, they are bombing civilians. Intentionally. I am fine with any thing that happens to them. Wearing a uniform doesn't change that.

The US didn't do that in Iraq. The US targeted Isis areas, while there were some unintentional civilian casualties which are unfortunate, it is the not same as bombing hospitals, and schools to kill civilians.

So, again, you don’t oppose Al Qaeda or ISIS torturing and murdering Americans they captured? Because that’s the implication of what you are advocating.

The laws of war exist for a reason. They don’t go out the window just because one country invades another one. Civilians got bombed in both Iraq and Afghanistan. The fact that it was usually accidental doesn’t change the fact that it happened.

Haditha not ring a bell? The AC-130 incident in Kunduz, Afghanistan? War crimes remain war crimes no matter how much you support those doing them.

You are not bothered by war crimes?

Wow, that shouts to us all about your posts. And it ain't good, it ain't pretty.

Back
Top Bottom