• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kyev seems about to be captured

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Zelensky is trapped there. That 40 mile convoy is now surrounding the city (not finished but expected to within days). Russian forces are just 10 miles from Kyev's center where Zelensky is, and it seems Ukranians don't have enough to stop them.

I'm wondering if these "Z" markings on Russia forces - the Russian alphabet doesn't have "Z" - might be related to Zelensky's name in English. I'm concerned about Russia capturing Kyev and Zelensky being in much danger soon. They haven't really set up something like who would be in charge next talking to the world from outside Ukraine or something. Will the world demand more direct war on Putin if that happens, risking nuclear war?

Zelensky is trapped there. That 40 mile convoy is now surrounding the city (not finished but expected to within days). Russian forces are just 10 miles from Kyev's center where Zelensky is, and it seems Ukranians don't have enough to stop them.
Where are you getting this impression from? Surrounding the city is weeks away. Russia literally doesn't even have enough troops in the area yet to siege Kyiv as the troops from Khernihiv and Sumy were expected to meet up with the forces from Belarus.

Speaking of the 40 mile long convoy from Belarus:

Where did you get that Russian forces at just 10 miles from the city center? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Additionally, even once Kyiv is in a position where they can begin sieging it, that process will take months. Maybe as long as a year.

I'm wondering if these "Z" markings on Russia forces - the Russian alphabet doesn't have "Z"
But the origins of the symbol remain a mystery.

Prior to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the letter "Z" was seen painted on tanks as well as other military vehicles massing near the border. With both countries using similar tanks and trucks, it was originally thought this was meant to distinguish different units to prevent friendly fire and assist with mobilization

Where are you getting this impression from? Surrounding the city is weeks away.

They were saying 1-2 weeks.

Where did you get that Russian forces at just 10 miles from the city center? I haven't seen that anywhere.

I forget if it was MSNBC or CNN. But here's NBC reporting that the Pentagon says they're 9 miles away:

Since Wednesday, these troops fought their way three miles closer, bringing them within roughly nine miles of the city center, according to the official.

Additionally, even once Kyiv is in a position where they can begin sieging it, that process will take months. Maybe as long as a year.

Where did you get that claim? Your link isn't about it. I'm doubting it will take very long at all to move 9 miles. How long did it take in other cities the Russians levelled?

This article from the Washington Post is an extremely good summary of what has unfolded in the war so far.

The lack of progress by the Russian military is absolutely stunning, according to the experts who have studied the Russian military for decades. Only one major city in Ukraine has fallen so far.

U.S. intelligence estimates that between 2,000 - 4,000 Russian troops have died. Ukraine estimates 12,000 Russian troops have died. Whichever figure is most accurate, this is a devastating amount of deaths for Russian troops in only two weeks. There is no way Putin or anyone in the Russian government was expecting this. In addition, Russian air attacks have declined, due to the effectiveness of Ukraine's air defenses. Russia is paying a heavy price and there is definitely no guarantee that they are going to win this war.

According to interviews with Russian soldiers that have been captured, they were not aware that they would be attacking Ukraine until a day before the attack began. Their morale is terrible, they don't want to be there.

<>

They appear to be around that much if not a little closer, but it's still expected to take quite some time:

They don’t fully control the skies, despite possessing one of the world’s most advanced air forces. Their ground assault on the capital has been inching along for days, with a miles-long convoy marooned by supply problems. And all the while, they are taking heavy losses — both in personnel and equipment. . . .
. . .
On Thursday, a long-stalled column of Russian military vehicles north of Kyiv moved a bit closer to the capital city, said a senior U.S. defense official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. Leading elements of that advance are now about nine miles from the center of Kyiv, down from about 12 miles for the prior several days, the Pentagon assesses. The official described the movement of the column as “creeping” and said it is “very difficult” to predict how long it could take for Russian forces to make a more serious movement. Another advance on Kyiv from the east is just under 20 miles from the city center. . . Officials added that the large Russian column north of Kyiv had “made little progress in over a week and is suffering continued losses.”

I'm wondering if these "Z" markings on Russia forces - the Russian alphabet doesn't have "Z" - might be related to Zelensky's name in English.
Or you could have just looked it up.

The Letter “V” represents the Russian Marines

The Letter “Z” represents units in the Eastern Military District

The Letter “Z” in a square represents the Southern Military District (Crimea)

The Letter “O” represents units from Belarus

The Letter “X” represents the forces of Ramzan Kadyrov, the Putin installed warlord of Russia’s Chechnya region.

The Letter “A” represents Russian Special Forces(SSO) like Spetznaz in its various operational units.

More histrionics fed by the ever histrionic MSM. Take a chill pill.

I'm wondering if these "Z" markings on Russia forces - the Russian alphabet doesn't have "Z" - might be related to Zelensky's name in English. I'm concerned about Russia capturing Kyev and Zelensky being in much danger soon. They haven't really set up something like who would be in charge next talking to the world from outside Ukraine or something. Will the world demand more direct war on Putin if that happens, risking nuclear war?
I do not believe this analysis to be correct. Whilst the Russians are making progress, it is near glacial, and there seems to be no indication logistics have even been addressed. It'll be weeks before such a surround happens, and months before Kyiv itself falls.

As to the Z its to identify allies to prevent fratricide.

We have been getting a lot of Ukrainian propaganda suggesting the Ukrainians are winning or a stalemate. This is not the case. Russia has been slowly and methodically advancing. They have established bases around the northern half of Kiev. Zelenski will or already has relocated west, probably Lviv.

We have been getting a lot of Ukrainian propaganda suggesting the Ukrainians are winning or a stalemate. This is not the case. Russia has been slowly and methodically advancing. They have established bases around the northern half of Kiev. Zelenski will or already has relocated west, probably Lviv.

Kyiv may fall. It won't be "within days". Weeks maybe. Not days.

And why in God's name are so thrilled and breathless to see it happen?

I do not believe this analysis to be correct. Whilst the Russians are making progress, it is near glacial

I wouldn't call three miles closer in a day to within nine miles glacial.

, and there seems to be no indication logistics have even been addressed.

I'd say reports they're using airports to bring things in suggests they might be doing better. That the ongoing shelling and advancing suggests it's not preventing war.

It'll be weeks before such a surround happens, and months before Kyiv itself falls.

As I said, the estimates were 1-2 weeks to surround, and that my opinion is that it might not take nearly that long to go the last 9 miles.

As to the Z its to identify allies to prevent fratricide.

No, "a marking" is that. WHY the marking "Z" which isn't even in their alphabet is another topic.

Kyiv may fall. It won't be "within days". Weeks maybe. Not days.

And why in God's name are so thrilled and breathless to see it happen?
Yes weeks to take Kiev. Why do you say I am breathless.? I am just stating facts.

What is your concern? I mean, you didn't want anyone to defend Ukraine because that might provoke Putin and now you're concerned about who will speak on Ukraine's behalf? That, of course, will be Putin so he'll have been appeased and no longer a nuclear threat. Then, after an appropriate mourning period, we can all recognize Ukraine as Soviet Russian territory and fire up trade deals again. Maybe, once Ukraine has fallen, Russia will even come back to the Iran table and Biden can make sure they they get their nukes too!

Yes weeks to take Kiev. Why do you say I am breathless.? I am just stating facts.
Your posting history speaks for itself. A little late to run from it now.

Let's remember something. We can expect US government propaganda. We forget that because the Russian propaganda is far, far worse, but I can't think of a war the US had a concern about that didn't have big lies/propaganda. Though it seems pretty limited for Ukraine, because the truth doesn't need to be distorted much. But we might be hearing things like overly optimistic estimates for blocking Russians.

Let's remember something. We can expect US government propaganda. We forget that because the Russian propaganda is far, far worse, but I can't think of a war the US had a concern about that didn't have big lies/propaganda. Though it seems pretty limited for Ukraine, because the truth doesn't need to be distorted much. But we might be hearing things like overly optimistic estimates for blocking Russians.
And your point is what?

That topic is an opinion, not a fact, until it happens.
So are you saying within days is more likely than within weeks? Why did you even start this thread?

If I had to guess, it was to push a line you seem desirous of pushing.

I forget if it was MSNBC or CNN. But here's NBC reporting that the Pentagon says they're 9 miles away:
Last I read it was 12. It appears 9 miles is the correct current estimate.

Where did you get that claim? Your link isn't about it. I'm doubting it will take very long at all to move 9 miles. How long did it take in other cities the Russians levelled?
Well, Grozny took 60,000 Russian soldiers two months AFTER they completely encircle the city to take from a mere 3,000 rebels. I expect a city the size of Kyiv to be able to withstand a siege for months.

I wouldn't call three miles closer in a day to within nine miles glacial.
In modern warfare, yes that is glacial. They're using something called motorized vehicles, maybe you've heard of them. And Ukraine was supposed to have been defeated by now.

What in god's name are you talking about???

In modern warfare, yes that is glacial. They're using something called motorized vehicles, maybe you've heard of them. And Ukraine was supposed to have been defeated by now.

What in god's name are you talking about???
Who said it was supposed to be defeated by now? It's just TV talking heads. Ukraine is a vast country with millions of people.

Back
Top Bottom