• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kurtz calls out Hannity for his 'deceptive' editing of Obama's speech

This nothing new, Fox has been caught doing this before.

Kurtz calls out Hannity for his 'deceptive' editing of Obama's speech

Yeah, he is definitely not the most honest guy around.

Another thing about him (and Ingraham, Limbaugh, Beck, Levin, Savage and all the other radio gang, prettymuch), is the length and detail and time he will spend critizing every single detail of Obama's public and personal life. This is very petty behavior. He and some of the other entertainers seem to have no pride at all.

This has been happening ever since Obama took office. Nothing new here...just more underhanded partisan tactics meant to lure those who didn't watch the President's press conference to believe what Hannity and company tell them instead of going out and discovering what was really said for themselves.

I am not a fan of Hannity. Don't like him, don't like his interview style and am sure that people can find legitimate criticsms. But, since I don't watch him, ever, I would never be able to.

But, that is not unfair editing.

Obama said that taxes are scheduled to go up next year for everybody. Who cares the reason? Obama's continuing statement wasn't even accurate. He tried to, essentially, blame the Bush administration for the sunsetting of the tax breaks. However, it was really the democrats in congress that required the expiration date.

The only problem here is that Congress would be willing to extend the tax breaks if Obama had not screwed up the economy even worse than it otherwise would have and caused unemployment to skyrocket, putting the Dims (no spell error) in fear of their collective political lives.

And yes by design it is scheduled to end other wise it would have never been passed in the first place, and with out it we would have had an Obama like catastrophic economic situation long before now.

I am not a fan of Hannity. Don't like him, don't like his interview style and am sure that people can find legitimate criticsms. But, since I don't watch him, ever, I would never be able to.

Obama said that taxes are scheduled to go up next year for everybody. Who cares the reason? Obama's continuing statement wasn't even accurate. He tried to, essentially, blame the Bush administration for the sunsetting of the tax breaks. However, it was really the democrats in congress that required the expiration date.

Really? You can't see how the president's message might be changed with that editing?

Try watching the two clips from the perspective of someone not really aware of what's going on. You might take the president's words at face value, as shown by Hannity, and think "Oh man, Obama is just straight up admitting he's going to substantially raise my taxes!" Whereas the reality is that Obama was pointing out these tax cuts were temporary and passed by the Bush administration. The "tax increase" is those cuts expiring. Hannity isn't trying to spin reality into something else, he's trying to spin your perception of that reality, specifically Obama's involvment in the increase in taxes.

Of course, this all ignores the greater context, in that the plan is actually to extend the tax cuts or people under $250k/year.

Tax cuts are popular. Spending cuts are not. It was really a brilliant move to pass a popular tax cut bill scheduled to expire in the middle of the next administration. Dirty politics, to be sure, but well played.

Isn't it too bad that neither party places the good of the country above political dirty tricks and grandstanding? Isn't is sad that a major news network plays along?

The country is going down the tubes, swirling around in the porcelain whirlpool, and both of the major parties are playing the blame game. What a sorry situation.

Really? You can't see how the president's message might be changed with that editing?

Try watching the two clips from the perspective of someone not really aware of what's going on. You might take the president's words at face value, as shown by Hannity, and think "Oh man, Obama is just straight up admitting he's going to substantially raise my taxes!" Whereas the reality is that Obama was pointing out these tax cuts were temporary and passed by the Bush administration. The "tax increase" is those cuts expiring. Hannity isn't trying to spin reality into something else, he's trying to spin your perception of that reality, specifically Obama's involvment in the increase in taxes.

Of course, this all ignores the greater context, in that the plan is actually to extend the tax cuts or people under $250k/year.

No, I really don't see much difference between Obama saying "taxes are scheduled to go up for everyone" and Obama saying "taxes are scheduled to go up for everyone because the previous administration scheduled it that way." In both cases Obama said taxes are going up for everybody. In one case he is just placing blame, incorrectly I might add.

Now, had Obama said "taxes are scheduled to go up for everybody, but I want to extend tax cuts for those under 250k." Then Hannity edited the clip to make Obama just say "taxes are scheduled to go up for everybody", Kurtz would have point, and I would not be posting.

Tax rates are going up, just as Obama said. I personally believe that Obama has some responsilibity for this. Based on your last post, you apparently do not.

Last edited:

No, actually it was the Byrd Rule and the PAYGO law that required the sunsetting of the tax cuts.

Tax cuts are popular. Spending cuts are not. It was really a brilliant move to pass a popular tax cut bill scheduled to expire in the middle of the next administration. Dirty politics, to be sure, but well played.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong... but I think they didn't have the votes because of the Dems to keep the cuts past 2010.
If that's the case, is it still brilliant, but well played dirty politics?
I wish they all would wake up and keep tax cuts and stop the out of control spending. Obama's acting like a spoiled teenage girl with her rich daddy's credit card.

Hannity is trash, nothing more.

Yeah, he is definitely not the most honest guy around.

Another thing about him (and Ingraham, Limbaugh, Beck, Levin, Savage and all the other radio gang, prettymuch), is the length and detail and time he will spend critizing every single detail of Obama's public and personal life. This is very petty behavior. He and some of the other entertainers seem to have no pride at all.

I have seen Ingraham on tv a few times debating and discussing politics, and she doesn't seem very bright. She really gets on my nerves. It appears at moments, she realises her claims and arguments are baseless or petty, but she keeps going..

I really can't respect somebody who argues without direction or purpose, it's just stiring the pot. She is either stupid or mindless, or both. She seems to latch on to whatever the pundits say, so when she is drilled.. and doesn't know what Rush or Beck would say, she starts fumbling, avoiding questions, repeating herself.. that tired, old game

I see Palin as being somewhat like that also.. except she tries to avoid debate, even during a debate. I remember when O Reilly drilled her though, and Beck.. that was good entertainment.

Can't blame it on the lamestream media and their gotcha questions all the time..

Last edited:
No, actually it was the Byrd Rule and the PAYGO law that required the sunsetting of the tax cuts.

I'm not entirely disagreeing. However, as I recall the debate, republicans were trying to make the tax cuts permanent. They couldn't get the votes due to democrat (and a few republicans) in opposition.

What, Hanity and Fox News twisting the facts and lieing .. say it so!...

:lamo :lamo :lamo

and let me guess. you think that the PAYGO rule has recieved even a passing suggestion of obedience? :lol:

were'nt Democrats screaming about What Big Bad Meanies Republicans Are just a couple of months ago because Republicans wanted to pay for unemployment extensions? :)

Earlier this year, Barack Obama and Congressional Democrats celebrated the signing of their new pay-go rules that require Congress to explicitly fund any new legislation. Since then, they have gone 0-3 in complying with their own legislation, choosing to extend unemployment benefits through borrowing rather than redirect already-allocated funds for the purpose. Politico reports that the Democrats have finally run out of rope on Pay-Go:

The short-term unemployment benefits bill, which was headed toward final passage in the House on Thursday night, also includes the COBRA health program and a Medicare reimbursement adjustment known as the “doc fix.” The bill bypassed pay-as-you-go rules because it was designated as a temporary “emergency” spending plan.

But now Democrats are stuck.

They have been unable to move a longer-term one-year extension of these programs, passed earlier this session, because they already blew the revenues they had expected to use for this bill. Senate and House Democrats must now find a politically acceptable way to pay for the bill.

The tax money for the original bill was a special tax credit known as “black liquor” on biofuels, but Democrats moved those funds to help pay for the health care reform bill...

Not only do Democrats have to deal with their own push to create more permanent long-term jobless benefits, but they also have a budget coming up. They can’t spend $3.8 trillion on $2.4 trillion in revenues any longer, not with their Pay-Go rule standing in the way. They have three choices: cut spending to match revenues, raise taxes to match spending, or waive Pay-Go yet again.

We can skip the first option, because Democrats won’t cut spending after running it up the last three budget cycles. If they raise taxes, they’ll have to do it when they pass the budget — which is due at the end of September, just before the midterms. How would Democrats do in the election if they passed a $1.3 trillion tax hike? Most likely, they’ll simply waive Pay-Go, which will give Republicans a huge rhetorical club with which to beat incumbents in the midterms, but won’t be as politically suicidal as massive tax hikes.

Or — and this is the most likely outcome — Democrats won’t pass a budget at all. They’ll issue continuing resolutions to keep funding the government at the same rate as FY2010 and wait until after the midterms to pass massive tax increases or waive Pay-Go.

Last edited:
No, I really don't see much difference between Obama saying "taxes are scheduled to go up for everyone" and Obama saying "taxes are scheduled to go up for everyone because the previous administration scheduled it that way." In both cases Obama said taxes are going up for everybody.

Grim, you thank this quote and defend Hannity.... This is funny. You lambasted me and called me a liar through two pages of a thread. You insisted that I correct my error and admit my wrongdoing.

And I did the very same thing your pal Hannity is doing here.

The slightest of difference is that I didn't cut a quote in half like Hannity!

What I didn't do was give the full discloser that Beck gave at the END of his rant.

Hypocrisy at it's finest...

And FTR.. I don't see anything wrong with this either..

Tax cuts are going up....................fact.

Beck saying "I hate 911 victims' families"...............fact

See how NOT being a hypocrite is possible? You need to try it sometime..

Last edited:
No, I really don't see much difference between Obama saying "taxes are scheduled to go up for everyone" and Obama saying "taxes are scheduled to go up for everyone because the previous administration scheduled it that way." In both cases Obama said taxes are going up for everybody. In one case he is just placing blame, incorrectly I might add.

Now, had Obama said "taxes are scheduled to go up for everybody, but I want to extend tax cuts for those under 250k." Then Hannity edited the clip to make Obama just say "taxes are scheduled to go up for everybody", Kurtz would have point, and I would not be posting.

Tax rates are going up, just as Obama said. I personally believe that Obama has some responsilibity for this. Based on your last post, you apparently do not.

He did say that. About 30 seconds after Hannity cuts off the video.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2010/09/obama_cleveland_jobs_speech_tr.html

So let me be clear to Mr. Boehner and everyone else: we should not hold middle class tax cuts hostage any longer. We are ready, this week, to give tax cuts to every American making $250,000 or less. For any income over this amount, the tax rates would go back to what they were under President Clinton. This isn't to punish folks who are better off - it's because we can't afford the $700 billion price tag.

What did Hannity tell you? "I'm sure the annointed one will make that happen." (referring to the tax increases)

Where I come from, we call that ****ing lying.

Last edited:
Hannity calls the president "the anointed one?"

That should tell you the lack of respect he has for the president.. and that goes beyond simple disagreements about policy. If he can't even refer to him respectfully in simple discussion, then don't expect him to give the pres his fair due when judging anything relative to him.

Hannity calls the president "the anointed one?"

That should tell you the lack of respect he has for the president.. and that goes beyond simple disagreements about policy. If he can't even refer to him respectfully in simple discussion, then don't expect him to give the pres his fair due when judging anything relative to him.

Yes, that's always been Sean's pet name for Obama. Probably one of the reasons Obama would never take him up on the offer to buy him a beer. Well, that and he's afraid of anyone on Fox.

Yes, that's always been Sean's pet name for Obama. Probably one of the reasons Obama would never take him up on the offer to buy him a beer. Well, that and he's afraid of anyone on Fox.

oh dear god. it's sean, now, is it?

No matter how much you dislike the guys policy.. you have to give him credit for going on Fox with O Reilly. That took guts. O Reilly can be ruthless towards people. But you'll never see Sarah Palin on Olbermann..

No matter how much you dislike the guys policy.. you have to give him credit for going on Fox with O Reilly. That took guts. O Reilly can be ruthless towards people. But you'll never see Sarah Palin on Olbermann..

i'm sure obama just had a little word written in his palm, in red......falafel. kept billo in check.

Yes, we are very close friends. He calls me Barbie, so I'm not going to call him Mr. Hannity, :)

good to know, and i'm certain you are also a great american.

Back
Top Bottom