• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ku Klux Klan

Libs will never admit it was politically motivated regardless of what facts you throw at them. Perhaps this is why they try so hard to label the republicans as racist, they hope that idiots will forget history.

See, james. This is how you show your partisan hackery and that you are unknowledgeable about history. This was not a Democrat/Republican thing. It was sectional. Only people who would disagree are hacks who refuse to acknowledge the accuracy of history because it doesn't fit in with their narrow, unrealistic view of the world.

Because doing so would make it hard for them to label Republicans as the racist. It could also be the fact they are embarrassed by it. So by claiming it was merely regional(as though they would have somehow been accepting of a southern republican at the time during reconstruction and during its revival after Birth of Nation was shown) and racial it helps them live in denial. I do not think any republican national conventions ever got labeled a klan bake.

And again, you show complete ignorance on this issue. Truthfully, it was conservatives who were racists. Not liberals. It was southerners who were racist. Not northerners. Political affiliation was irrelevant. Sectional issues and lean were the issues.

What? They were intimidating Southern Blacks to vote for the Democrats in their state. Why are you talking about Democrats up North?

And the people that were threatening their Southern way of life were the ............................. REPUBLICANS and Republican voters. Blacks were overwhelmingly Republican. Northerns were overwhelmingly Republican. Anti-slavery people were overwhelmingly Republican.

The Democrats didn't have POWER. Political power. They wanted to take back their land (the South) and do with it as they wanted. They needed to be in power to do that. So they went after REPUBLICANS.

This is historical fact. I don't know why you're pretending it didn't happen.

No one is pretending it didn't happen. What folks are accurately telling you is that it is AN IRRELEVANT FACT. The relevant facts to the issues surrounding the KKK were the sectional issue. They were going after anyone who targeted the southern way of life, and folks who supported the Union. What political party they were part of was incidental to the issue.

What? They were intimidating Southern Blacks to vote for the Democrats in their state. Why are you talking about Democrats up North?

And the people that were threatening their Southern way of life were the ............................. REPUBLICANS and Republican voters. Blacks were overwhelmingly Republican. Northerns were overwhelmingly Republican. Anti-slavery people were overwhelmingly Republican.

The Democrats didn't have POWER. Political power. They wanted to take back their land (the South) and do with it as they wanted. They needed to be in power to do that. So they went after REPUBLICANS.

This is historical fact. I don't know why you're pretending it didn't happen.

No one is pretending it didn't happen. What folks are accurately telling you is that it is AN IRRELEVANT FACT. The relevant facts to the issues surrounding the KKK were the sectional issue. They were going after anyone who targeted the southern way of life, and folks who supported the Union. What political party they were part of was incidental to the issue.

The more you post on this, the more you prove my point. What political party was in power, or who belonged to what was irrelevant. This was a sectional issue. If the parties were reversed, what happened would have happened the exact same way. It was NOT about political affiliation at all. The white southerners wanted power back from the white northerners and the blacks. THAT was the issue.

Exactly. It was political. You keep making MY point.

See, james. This is how you show your partisan hackery and that you are unknowledgeable about history. This was not a Democrat/Republican thing. It was sectional. Only people who would disagree are hacks who refuse to acknowledge the accuracy of history because it doesn't fit in with their narrow, unrealistic view of the world.

They went after Northerners AND Southerners, CC. For. Political. Power.

I tend to think that you just don't want to admit that the Democratic party was once very racist and known for beginning the most evil domestic terrorist organization in our history.

I tend to think that you just don't want to admit that the Democratic party was once very racist and known for beginning the most evil domestic terrorist organization in our history.

Not the Democratic Party, but Southern Democrats

The violence against Northerners was politically motivated in that they didn't want a bunch of outsiders coming in and turning the way of life that they'd known for generations on its head, not, "I really don't like those damn conservatives". The political landscape has changed so much since the 19th century that making this a partisan debate is beyond pointless.

this "debate" is about mellie attempting to paint modern dems as racist.

Not the Democratic Party, but Southern Democrats

The Democrats in Congress were united on all legislation dealing with slavery and blacks. They were against all civil rights laws for blacks.

That doesn't mean they are NOW. I'm not sure why everyone's getting their panties in a bunch about it.

this "debate" is about mellie attempting to paint modern dems as racist.

LOL! Oy. That's what they THINK is being done which is why they refuse to accept the historical facts. I've said it a couple times. NO ONE is comparing this to today. That would be silly since all this happened 150 years ago.

I agree with this post, but believe that some of the minority of Southerners laughter isn't because they find the KKK's ideals or tactics ridiculous, but because they no longer consider the KKK an effective organization. Extreme prejudice can still be found clogging the bowels of the South's backwaters.

All hate groups thrive on weakness and ignorance. The Klan is just one such organization. And while you will indeed find extreme prejudice in the south, make no mistake that race and color is no discriminator when it comes to bigotry. Nor does border. You are every bit as likely to find hate groups and hate speech in Washington State, California, Texas, Michigan, Illinois, New York, DC, wherever. Hell...try Hawaii...just for fun...and see if you can find any bigotry and prejudice in paradise.

Its not a white thing...or a black thing...or a mexican thing...its an ignorance and impotence thing (impotence meaning people lacking economic and political power) and a fear thing.

Oh yeah...and if you think ideology and political affiliation is an indicator of prejudice (or lack thereof)...then you are just plain goofy...or probably not a little bit bigoted and prejudiced yourself.

Last edited:
The Democrats in Congress were united on all legislation dealing with slavery and blacks. They were against all civil rights laws for blacks.

That doesn't mean they are NOW. I'm not sure why everyone's getting their panties in a bunch about it.

And the GOP's hands weren't clean either. They passed the Chinese Exclusion Act and left Southern Blacks to rot after 1877

And the GOP's hands weren't clean either. They passed the Chinese Exclusion Act and left Southern Blacks to rot after 1877

Of course both the GOP and Democratic parties have done things they should be ashamed of. This thread, however, is just talking about the KKK, blacks, slavery, etc.

Can you expound on the second part of your comment please?

LOL! Oy. That's what they THINK is being done which is why they refuse to accept the historical facts. I've said it a couple times. NO ONE is comparing this to today. That would be silly since all this happened 150 years ago.

who refuses to accept the facts? cc laid it out quite nicely.

They targeted northern REPUBLICANS. It was politically motivated. Why do you not wish to admit that it was a Democratic group who were targeting the opposing group?

i have to say, it's pretty funny that you opened this thread asking for facts, becasue you claimed to know nothing, and now are challenging those facts. quite disengenuous.

Exactly. It was political. You keep making MY point.

It was not about poltical parties. It was sectional politics. You keep making MY point on this.

I think that you do not want to admit that political parties had nothing to do with the issue. It was all about sectional issues.

Because you are painting it inaccurately. As soon as I saw you post this thread, I knew where you were going to head with it. You did not disappoint. Today or then, this is you attacking the Democratic Party. And in this case, you are entirely wrong. It was about sectional white southerners against northerners and blacks who were in power. Political parties were entirely incidental in this matter.

Because you are painting it inaccurately. As soon as I saw you post this thread, I knew where you were going to head with it. You did not disappoint. Today or then, this is you attacking the Democratic Party. And in this case, you are entirely wrong. It was about sectional white southerners against northerners and blacks who were in power. Political parties were entirely incidental in this matter.

That's your problem. You jumped to conclusions (seems to be a pattern on this board) and ASSUMED I was just creating it to bash Democrats. I see now that you are entirely partisan and REFUSE to admit that it WAS political (you keep saying so yourself without actually saying it). You also fail to realize that it wasn't just Southern v. Northern. They went after Southerners too. They went after anyone who was against their POLITICAL views. That's why they forced blacks to vote for THEIR PARTY (Democrat). The POINT of the original KKK was political. Period.

We're saying the same thing, you just don't want to say Democrat and Republican because you think it somehow makes modern Dems look bad and modern Reps look good. It has nothing to do with modern times. It's HISTORY. And refusing to admit to historical fact is a little creepy to me.

i have to say, it's pretty funny that you opened this thread asking for facts, becasue you claimed to know nothing, and now are challenging those facts. quite disengenuous.

Yes, I was researching the KKK at the time of creating this thread. I'm so sorry for actually finding out the answers to my questions. So sorry.

That's your problem. You jumped to conclusions (seems to be a pattern on this board) and ASSUMED I was just creating it to bash Democrats.

And lo and behold, he was correct. You're getting pretty predictable at this point, Mellie.

Yes, I was researching the KKK at the time of creating this thread. I'm so sorry for actually finding out the answers to my questions. So sorry.

But did you find the real answers, or just the ones that conveniently fit your pre-existing beliefs? That's the real question.

To date, I have not been impressed with your ability to do objective research or use unbiased sources.

No they were going after anyone who threatened the power of the southern political elite, the KKK was an instrument of state terror and the political elite at the time happened to be the Democratic party. It wasn't that blacks wanted to vote it was because blacks wanted to vote against the political elite in the south.

That's your problem. You jumped to conclusions (seems to be a pattern on this board) and ASSUMED I was just creating it to bash Democrats. I see now that you are entirely partisan and REFUSE to admit that it WAS political (you keep saying so yourself without actually saying it). You also fail to realize that it wasn't just Southern v. Northern. They went after Southerners too. They went after anyone who was against their POLITICAL views. That's why they forced blacks to vote for THEIR PARTY (Democrat). The POINT of the original KKK was political. Period.

We're saying the same thing, you just don't want to say Democrat and Republican because you think it somehow makes modern Dems look bad and modern Reps look good. It has nothing to do with modern times. It's HISTORY. And refusing to admit to historical fact is a little creepy to me.

Your problem is you are completely predictable, Mellie. Completely. Notice how the thread started. You asked a question. I gave you answers and links. YOU brought partisanship into this... as is your MO. I exposed it and, of course, you don't like that. All you are doing is IGNORING history. Any southerners that the KKK went against, they went against because they either supported the Union and were considered collaborators, supported blacks, or didn't support the KKK. The was entirely sectional. The fact that it was Democrat vs. Republican is entirely circumstantial. YOU are making it an issue, where it was not. This was more south vs. north stuff. And southerners who supported the north were, as I said, considered collaborators. For these folks, the war wasn't over. THAT'S why, it was sectional politics, not partisan. The fact that you refuse to see this only indicates how your agenda skews everything your post and see.

Back
Top Bottom