• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ku Klux Klan on the neighborhood watch

Diving Mullah

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Aside from a jury duty notice, a bag of burning feces or maybe an Amway salesman, the last thing anyone wants to find on their doorstep is an invitation from the Ku Klux Klan. So imagine the horror of Springfield, Missouri, residents last week who discovered a recruitment flier from the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan while reaching for their morning papers.
The flier, which features an array of bold text in different fonts and sizes, attempts to convince intrepid young Springfielders (Springfieldites? Springfieldians?) to join their neighborhood watch program. “You can sleep tonight knowing the Klan is awake!” it promises....

Ku Klux Klan: Our neighborhood watch program is “not racist” - Salon.com

I get the ridiculousness of this...my only problem is there use to be a time when these people operated only on fringes of acceptability somewhere in the dark corners and never dared to come out. But I guess in the recent up swelling events and push to turn back 60 years of civil right progress, it is fitting that KKK also finds a foot hole in a Red State right along ultra right republicans and the tea party!

Diving Mullah

Explain exactly how anyone is trying to "turn back 60 years of civil rights progress." Please be specific (if you can).

Also, your notion that "the right" in general, have a positive view of the KKK is about as moronic as you putting "very conservative" next to your name.

Explain exactly how anyone is trying to "turn back 60 years of civil rights progress." Please be specific (if you can).
New, expanded and unnecessary changes in voting laws, state constitutional bans on homosexual marriage, new laws attempting to undermine Roe v. Wade, etc.

Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Texas, North Dakota as specific examples.

Also, your notion that "the right" in general, have a positive view of the KKK is about as moronic as you putting "very conservative" next to your name.
A small technicality, but he never actually said "the right" has a positive view of the KKK. Instead his insinuation was that it's not a surprise in states which support the party which is actively working to "turn back 60 years of civil rights progress", an old bastion of hatred and racism makes the news.

Now it's entirely possible he believes the right condones the KKK, but that's not actually what he said. He suggested it was not surprising the conditions fermented by the right would lead to a re-appearance of the KKK. For what it's worth, I don't think Republicans condone the KKK, but I think there are many in its voter base who do.

I probably should be offended, but in reality, the Klan, Black Panthers, and Nation of Islam could take turns being the neighborhood watch patrol in my area for all I care just as long as they stay off my lawn.

This has nothing to do with "general political discussion" and it is beyond assinine to try to associate this with the Republican Party.

New, expanded and unnecessary changes in voting laws, state constitutional bans on homosexual marriage, new laws attempting to undermine Roe v. Wade, etc.

Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Texas, North Dakota as specific examples.

A small technicality, but he never actually said "the right" has a positive view of the KKK. Instead his insinuation was that it's not a surprise in states which support the party which is actively working to "turn back 60 years of civil rights progress", an old bastion of hatred and racism makes the news.

Now it's entirely possible he believes the right condones the KKK, but that's not actually what he said. He suggested it was not surprising the conditions fermented by the right would lead to a re-appearance of the KKK. For what it's worth, I don't think Republicans condone the KKK, but I think there are many in its voter base who do.

I wouldn't question what you say except that instead of the "conditions fermented by the right" leading to a reappearance of the KKK, it is entirely more likely that recent conditions fermented by the left would lead to their reappearance.

I wouldn't question what you say except that instead of the "conditions fermented by the right" leading to a reappearance of the KKK, it is entirely more likely that recent conditions fermented by the left would lead to their reappearance.
I don't believe it's been the "left" which has worked to reverse civil rights, which was sort of the point of his argument.

I don't believe it's been the "left" which has worked to reverse civil rights, which was sort of the point of his argument.

That may be the point of his argument, but his argument fails. The KKK is not out to support minority rights are they? Therefore, logic would dictate that they aren't against anything that may be perceived as limiting minority rights. It is the left, I would argue, that has been on the leading edge of forcing change to societal norms, changes that may upset those who may be attracted by the KKK.

That may be the point of his argument, but his argument fails. The KKK is not out to support minority rights are they?
No, they are traditionally out to suppress anything except the white Protestant male.

Therefore, logic would dictate that they aren't against anything that may be perceived as limiting minority rights.
No one is saying the KKK is rebelling against these measures. What I'm saying is the attitude and mentality allows for the encouragement of traditional KKK actions.

For example, if I'm a parent who never disciplines my child, and my child acts out, is my child acting out in rebellion? Or is the child acting out because I've allowed an environment which encourages his acting out?

It is the left, I would argue, that has been on the leading edge of forcing change to societal norms, changes that may upset those who may be attracted by the KKK.
Those changes have been taking place for decades, even as the KKK has continued to lose power and prestige.

Now, I just want to be clear, I don't think the KKK is making a huge comeback or anything like that. I'm just trying to clarify what I think the original point was, and if we were to see a comeback of sorts of the KKK, it could be argued it's the environment, mentality and attitude promoted by the Republican Party which has encouraged such a comeback.

No, they are traditionally out to suppress anything except the white Protestant male.

No one is saying the KKK is rebelling against these measures. What I'm saying is the attitude and mentality allows for the encouragement of traditional KKK actions.

For example, if I'm a parent who never disciplines my child, and my child acts out, is my child acting out in rebellion? Or is the child acting out because I've allowed an environment which encourages his acting out?

Those changes have been taking place for decades, even as the KKK has continued to lose power and prestige.

Now, I just want to be clear, I don't think the KKK is making a huge comeback or anything like that. I'm just trying to clarify what I think the original point was, and if we were to see a comeback of sorts of the KKK, it could be argued it's the environment, mentality and attitude promoted by the Republican Party which has encouraged such a comeback.

I don't agree, but then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't agree that Obama's constant harping about wealthy and successful people not paying their fair share and not deserving of having so much more than others less fortunate leads to the less fortunate agreeing with him and going out and taking from the wealthy what the President assures them should rightfully be theirs.

I don't agree, but then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't agree that Obama's constant harping about wealthy and successful people not paying their fair share and not deserving of having so much more than others less fortunate leads to the less fortunate agreeing with him and going out and taking from the wealthy what the President assures them should rightfully be theirs.
You are correct, I would not agree with that statement. Especially considering over the last several decades we know for a fact those less fortunate continue to become less and less fortunate (or at best stagnate) and those who have the wealth continue to accumulate greater and greater percentages of that wealth.

Scum coming ouy of hiding to do good, who knew?

Back
Top Bottom