• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kristol: Third Party Candidate on the Way

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Is a new candidate going to enter the presidential race? - CBS News

Republican Power players Bill Kristol and Mitt Romney have been teaming up with a bunch of secretive meetings to talk about a possible third party challenger to Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and apparently influential personalities like Mark Cuban have been courted into these discussions.

Sneakily over the weekend Kristol hinted yet again that these plans are much more concrete than simple Washington rumors. So much so that Donald Trump himself attacked Kristol on twitter about the yet-to-be-announced challenger. I think it's safe to say that we can rule out the 17 individuals who ran in the primaries. But what Republican (if indeed it is a Republican) can out-muster the trumpster, if 17 already did not? You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who can. I wonder if they are going with a non-politician like Cuban who can take Trump's rapid fire TV appearances.

I highly doubt many voters and especially Trump supporters would consider Romney impressive. I tend to disagree with them, if Romney wants to run, I'll support him, but he'll be a laughing stock to the public at large. The guess is anybody's at this point, but I really can't see other Republicans beating Trump at this point in the race.

Who do you think this new challenger could be?

Last edited:
Romney would make a much better candidate than Trump. But I imagine at this point it is to steal votes so that Trump does not win.

Republican Power players Bill Kristol and Mitt Romney have been teaming up with a bunch of secretive meetings to talk about a possible third party challenger to Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and apparently influential personalities like Mark Cuban have been courted into these discussions.

Sneakily over the weekend Kristol hinted yet again that these plans are much more concrete than simple Washington rumors. So much so that Donald Trump himself attacked Kristol on twitter about the yet-to-be-announced challenger. I think it's safe to say that we can rule out the 17 individuals who ran in the primaries. But what Republican (if indeed it is a Republican) can out-muster the trumpster, if 17 already did not? You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who can. I wonder if they are going with a non-politician like Cuban who can take Trump's rapid fire TV appearances.

I highly doubt many voters and especially Trump supporters would consider Romney impressive. I tend to disagree with them, if Romney wants to run, I'll support him, but he'll be a laughing stock to the public at large. The guess is anybody's at this point, but I really can't see other Republicans beating Trump at this point in the race.

At this point it seems like he's just saying stuff for attention. The libertarian party is running two former GOP governors. That's a serious 3rd party ticket for all of the #nevertrump crowd.

Isn't it too late? The deadline for registration in Texas is May 9. A conservative candidate cannot win without carrying Texas. The best remaining course of action is to vote Libertarian and hope that the two governors can steal enough electoral votes from the two abominations to deny either of them the magic 270.

Sneakily over the weekend Kristol hinted yet again that these plans are much more concrete than simple Washington rumors. So much so that Donald Trump himself attacked Kristol on twitter about the yet-to-be-announced challenger. I think it's safe to say that we can rule out the 17 individuals who ran in the primaries. But what Republican (if indeed it is a Republican) can out-muster the trumpster, if 17 already did not? You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who can. I wonder if they are going with a non-politician like Cuban who can take Trump's rapid fire TV appearances. I highly doubt many voters and especially Trump supporters would consider Romney impressive. I tend to disagree with them, if Romney wants to run, I'll support him, but he'll be a laughing stock to the public at large. The guess is anybody's at this point, but I really can't see other Republicans beating Trump at this point in the race. Who do you think this new challenger could be?

No one- Kristol is a pale imitation of his father. He is far more an idealog than practical problem solver. Any third party candidate will just 'Perot' Trump and let another Clinton into the White House.

There will be talk but at the end of the day there will be no renegade PUB running against the nominee of the Party of Lincoln and what a sad chapter this is in the once honorable GOP this is... :peace

Isn't it too late? The deadline for registration in Texas is May 9. A conservative candidate cannot win without carrying Texas. The best remaining course of action is to vote Libertarian and hope that the two governors can steal enough electoral votes from the two abominations to deny either of them the magic 270.

It depends on the goal whether it is too late. Since actually winning the election is unlikely to be the goal(as it simply is not feasible at this point), registration deadlines are not that big of a deal. That does leave open what exactly the goal would be. Are they trying to grab enough electoral votes so that no one gets 270 and congress elects the president? Setting up an excuse for republicans losing kinda thing(he was not beat by Clinton, a real conservative is what ruined his chances)? Using this somehow to help out downticket republicans? The latter scenario seems like it might be the most likely, are at least the most likely to work, getting more people who are going to vote for republican or conservative candidate to the polls, and help out downticket congressmen and senators and local republicans.

So, no major independent candidate came forward over the weekend. It seems Bill Kristol has kept his streak alive.

So, no major independent candidate came forward over the weekend. It seems Bill Kristol has kept his streak alive.

I don't think he was planning to announce it over the weekend, just putting it out there. Maybe he will announce after or during the June 7 Primary.

Romney would make a much better candidate than Trump. But I imagine at this point it is to steal votes so that Trump does not win.

Maybe. But Trump and Hillary are the two most disliked candidates in our nation's history. If a third party has a chance of pulling off a win this is the time to do it. It may not succeed but it seems a waste of a good opportunity not to try.

Running a candidate that would divert votes mainly from Trump (or Clinton) alone would do no good. Knowing that an "independent conservative" (third party?) would just hand the election to Clinton one must consider running an "independent moderate" that would draw (nearly equally?) from both major parties (so that nobody gets the 270 electoral votes needed to win) thus placing the POTUS selection into the hands of the (majority GOP) house to decide.

Running a candidate that would divert votes mainly from Trump (or Clinton) alone would do no good. Knowing that an "independent conservative" (third party?) would just hand the election to Clinton one must consider running an "independent moderate" that would draw (nearly equally?) from both major parties (so that nobody gets the 270 electoral votes needed to win) thus placing the POTUS selection into the hands of the (majority GOP) house to decide.

That obviously is what the hope is...to put the election into the hands of the newly elected House...which will almost certainly have a majority of states with a Republican majority...insuring a Republican of the House's choice as the next president.

Rand Paul may still become the next president.

If the best Kristol and the National Review crowd can come up with is David French - the entire nation is about to utter a collective WHO THE HELL IS THAT?

That obviously is what the hope is...to put the election into the hands of the newly elected House...which will almost certainly have a majority of states with a Republican majority...insuring a Republican of the House's choice as the next president.

Rand Paul may still become the next president.

Rand Paul isn't well liked within the GOP in congress. If they are going to choose, it's more likely to be someone like Romney, Jeb, or Ryan.

Rand Paul isn't well liked within the GOP in congress. If they are going to choose, it's more likely to be someone like Romney, Jeb, or Ryan.

So they'd choose either The Hasbin, The Sissy or The Young RINO?

Bill Kristol must love the idea of a "President Hillary Clinton", the ****ing sabotage.

Damn...only 4:53 in the AM and I gotta acknowledge a mistake.

I wrote Rand Paul...and actually meant Paul Ryan. Goddam mistake I have made several times in the past.

My bad. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Bill Kristol must love the idea of a "President Hillary Clinton", the ****ing sabotage.

For someone to want to protect their power and influence is normal human nature. I think they are overreacting to Trump's desire or ability to put them out of business. Nevertheless, their motivation seems obvious. They will give up the presidency rather than their power and influence. Not complicated.

The only real hope is if they can steal some of Hillary's electoral votes then the House will decide who will be president and that won't necessarily be Trump. But, what third party Republican can steal any of Hillary's electoral votes? Kasich is probably the only one and I doubt he would run third party.

If the best Kristol and the National Review crowd can come up with is David French - the entire nation is about to utter a collective WHO THE HELL IS THAT?

Who the hell is that?

Damn...only 4:53 in the AM and I gotta acknowledge a mistake.

I wrote Rand Paul...and actually meant Paul Ryan. Goddam mistake I have made several times in the past.

My bad. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Ah! Yeah...that one does make sense.

Who the hell is that?

Agree with both of you. This is not going to end well. I think Kristol should end his career now. Before he makes more of a fool of himself. Although, if he is NOT serious about this and it was all a marketing ploy just to get under Trump's skin. Now maybe someone in the Republican Party is finally revealing their playbook against Trump. It could all be a great marketing scheme by Kristol! After all, who's to say that this bid is serious? I remember reading Kristol's tweet. "Impressive Third Party Candidate Coming." Sounds a little bit like someone doesn't it? Also there was the time when he tweeted that Trump must be really scared to even mention him and attack him. Now I wonder... Could Kristol have broken through and actually landed an attack on Trump? Without really even doing it?

Agree with both of you. This is not going to end well. I think Kristol should end his career now. Before he makes more of a fool of himself. Although, if he is NOT serious about this and it was all a marketing ploy just to get under Trump's skin. Now maybe someone in the Republican Party is finally revealing their playbook against Trump. It could all be a great marketing scheme by Kristol! After all, who's to say that this bid is serious? I remember reading Kristol's tweet. "Impressive Third Party Candidate Coming." Sounds a little bit like someone doesn't it? Also there was the time when he tweeted that Trump must be really scared to even mention him and attack him. Now I wonder... Could Kristol have broken through and actually landed an attack on Trump? Without really even doing it?

Kristol may have had a chance if he could have mustered up a Romney/Kasich ticket or something similar but Mark Cuban or David French? Might as well just vote for Gary Johnson.

So one RINO(I know Romney is a RINO, I don't know about Kristol) and Kristol are upset that that another RINO got the republican nomination and now they want to prop up a 3rd party candidate who most likely will be another RINO? I support 3rd party candidates, however I think they should be genuine 3rd party candidates. Not republicans or democrats who didn't get the nomination.

Back
Top Bottom