• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kremlin says Russia's seizure of Ukrainian navy ships was lawful

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From Reuters

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin said on Monday that Russia’s seizure of three Ukrainian navy vessels off the coast of Russia-annexed Crimea on Sunday was in strict accordance with international and domestic law.

In a conference call with reporters, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov accused the Ukrainian vessels of illegally intruding into Russian territorial waters and of ignoring attempts by Russian border guards to contact them.

Kiev said its vessels did nothing wrong and has accused Russia of military aggression.

COMMENT:-

When the statement that amounts to "I have spoken with Mr. Putin and he denies any wrong doing. I find his statement compelling. Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't - we'll never know until all of the evidence is in. Possibly the actions were done by rogue elements within the Russian government, I simply don't know. Besides, this isn't a matter that concerns the United States of America because not a single American was involved. I mean, who actually knows where the ships were and where the territorial waters of Russia are? I don't and I'm the President of the United States of America." comes out, I'm going to puke.

This has been building for months and was expected.

Ukraine most likely did go into "Russian" waters and did ignore the Russian coast guard and the Russians did do what they are allowed to do under the law.

The problem is of course what is Russian or Ukraine waters......

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

From Reuters

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin said on Monday that Russia’s seizure of three Ukrainian navy vessels off the coast of Russia-annexed Crimea on Sunday was in strict accordance with international and domestic law.

In a conference call with reporters, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov accused the Ukrainian vessels of illegally intruding into Russian territorial waters and of ignoring attempts by Russian border guards to contact them.

Kiev said its vessels did nothing wrong and has accused Russia of military aggression.

COMMENT:-

When the statement that amounts to "I have spoken with Mr. Putin and he denies any wrong doing. I find his statement compelling. Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't - we'll never know until all of the evidence is in. Possibly the actions were done by rogue elements within the Russian government, I simply don't know. Besides, this isn't a matter that concerns the United States of America because not a single American was involved. I mean, who actually knows where the ships were and where the territorial waters of Russia are? I don't and I'm the President of the United States of America." comes out, I'm going to puke.

And his fellater followers are gonna guzzle that kookaid spunk cuz "Rusher" is cool and so is Vlad. They just wish King Tangface (Thank you Helix!) was .01% as smart or evil or tough as Putin, but well he's the best they got cuz he's scared of the same things they are and hates the same people he does.

Was going to happen, will not be the last time. Crimea is going to be a problem for a very long time.

Of course, that's what the Kremlin says....

To my eyes, Russia's actions with regard to Ukraine smack of the opening feints of WWII...I cannot help but wonder whether there's extant a 21st century analogue, agreed to by Trump and Putin, to the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.

What's not dubitable is that this is now the second test of NATO's cohesiveness and commitment, specifically the US', to the NATO agreement, particularly as the US is the only nation that has benefitted from NATO's Article 5's invocation, and that was for an incursion that wasn't explicitly state sanctioned.

Turkey, and frankly the whole of the US' allies in Western Europe and the Mediterranean, should be very concerned given Russia's bipartite "land-grab" efforts, both of which would normally be considered acts of war, executed in less than a lustrum.

It is curious too that Trump, the POTUS who, more than any other modern one, portrays himself as a strongman" -- What strongman head of state ever said, "I believe 'this or that' despotic tyrant because he denies doing it?" Only Trump. -- has forborn both Russian incursions in the Black Sea region. And what has Trump had to say about this most recent one? "I'm not happy about it." WTF!?! "Not happy." That is the language of an acquiescer, not a strongman.

Back
Top Bottom