• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kremlin Defers to Russian Military on Deadly Mariupol Hospital Attack

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

A pregnant woman is carried from a maternity hospital in Mariupol after it was hit by Russian bombs on Wednesday.

Russia’s military will likely provide details into the bombing of a children’s hospital in Ukraine that local authorities said had killed three people, including a young girl, the Kremlin said Thursday. {u]The Mariupol city council in southern Ukraine said Wednesday’s attack on the children’s and maternity hospital killed three people and injured 17. The United Nations, the White House, Britain and Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskiy denounced the attack as “horrific,” “barbaric,” “depraved” and a “war crime.”[/U] “The military will probably provide some information [on the Mariupol hospital attack]. I can’t say,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters during a daily briefing. “We will definitely ask our military,” Peskov was quoted as saying by the state-run TASS news agency. “You and I don’t have clear information about what happened there.” He spoke after Russia’s Foreign Ministry accused Ukrainian “nationalist battalions” of moving out staff and patients and using the hospital to set up firing positions. Moscow has denied targeting civilians as its invasion of pro-Western Ukraine enters its third week. Russia’s deputy chief of mission at the United Nations accused UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres of spreading “fake news” about the attack.

The Kremlin is saying that Ukrainian soldiers were firing on Russian positions from the hospital grounds.

But members of the press were on the scene within minutes (pieces of the hospital were still falling from the sky) and no Ukrainian military personnel were seen.

And even if what the Kremlin is stating was true (it is not), it doesn't matter according to the Geneva Conventions. You cannot shell/bomb what are clearly occupied civilian structures.

Yet another Rusian war crime.

The above story reminded me of something. I finally remembered what it was;

"On 3 October 2015, a United States Air Force AC-130U gunship attacked the Kunduz Trauma Centre operated by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF, or Doctors Without Borders) in the city of Kunduz, in the province of the same name in northern Afghanistan.[2][3][4][5][6][7] 42 people were killed[8] and over 30 were injured."

"U.S. aircraft bombed a maternity hospital run by the International Red Crescent on April 2, 2003. Several people were killed and 27 injured, including some medical personnel."

Not like our hands are clean is it Pilate?

"On 3 October 2015, a United States Air Force AC-130U gunship attacked the Kunduz Trauma Centre operated by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF, or Doctors Without Borders) in the city of Kunduz, in the province of the same name in northern Afghanistan.[2][3][4][5][6][7] 42 people were killed[8] and over 30 were injured."

"U.S. aircraft bombed a maternity hospital run by the International Red Crescent on April 2, 2003. Several people were killed and 27 injured, including some medical personnel."

and that makes it ok, right?

What a surprise.... A conservative administering a whataboutism.... In support of Putin....

What happens in one war theater does not open the floodgates in other war theatres.

More whataboutism. If the only thing you have is whataboutism, then you really have nothing.

Back
Top Bottom