• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Korryn Gaines Is The Most Recent Black Woman Killed By Police This Year

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

On Sunday morning, the police went to the address to serve warrants on Gaines and a man who lived in the house. Gaines was wanted for failing to appear in court for charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and multiple traffic violations. The man, whose identity has not been released, ran from the home with a 1-year-old and was caught by police and arrested.
Baltimore County Police say they knocked on the apartment door multiple times and heard voices of a man and woman inside, as well as a child crying. After no one answered, the officers retrieved a key from the landlord and opened the door.
Gaines was allegedly sitting on the floor and pointing a shotgun at officers while holding her 5-year-old son in her arms.
Police called in negotiators, and around 3 p.m., after an hours-long standoff, police say Gaines pointed the gun at officers and said she would kill them. An officer fired one round at Gaines and she fired back, according to the department. Police returned fire and killed Gaines.

OMG -- What kind of monster does that? No doubt this will be another "Black Lives Matter" instead of "Evil mother uses child as human shield".

I am totally amazed and aghast that people actually videotape themselves doing this stuff and post it on the internet.

What a horrible woman.

Now, now, you can't just rush to judgement. By all accounts she was a fine young woman, a loving mother and a pillar of her community who was horribly mistreated by the Man and left with no other reasonable option than to use her 5 year old as a meat shield.

Oh look, another criminal gets exactly what they deserve! Leftist whining in 3... 2... 1...

Well, if the "police account" is true, then the woman was horrible.

But we've been told to not "rush to judgment" of others in other cases where police officers are caught on video doing something terrible. If that's valid, then so too should we not "rush to judgment' of the woman.

The department claims it doesn't yet know whether any of the cops had bodycams, which would have revealed the precise reason for their having fired. The facebook videos have apparently been deleted. We know the woman was killed and her child was wounded. So, we just have the police officer's account, which claims that the officers opened fire when she pointed the gun at them.

Another circumstance where bodycams, if used, present, and turned on, would be quite helpful.

Leftist whining in 3... 2... 1...

Why would you pre-emptively cry about hypothetical posts you might disagree with but which didn't exist at the time of your post?

Why would you pre-emptively cry about hypothetical posts you might disagree with but which didn't exist at the time of your post?

Because we know they're coming because we've seen it time and time again. People who only see skin color and not actual situations are idiots.

On Sunday morning, the police went to the address to serve warrants on Gaines and a man who lived in the house. Gaines was wanted for failing to appear in court for charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and multiple traffic violations. The man, whose identity has not been released, ran from the home with a 1-year-old and was caught by police and arrested.
Baltimore County Police say they knocked on the apartment door multiple times and heard voices of a man and woman inside, as well as a child crying. After no one answered, the officers retrieved a key from the landlord and opened the door.
Gaines was allegedly sitting on the floor and pointing a shotgun at officers while holding her 5-year-old son in her arms.
Police called in negotiators, and around 3 p.m., after an hours-long standoff, police say Gaines pointed the gun at officers and said she would kill them. An officer fired one round at Gaines and she fired back, according to the department. Police returned fire and killed Gaines.

OMG -- What kind of monster does that? No doubt this will be another "Black Lives Matter" instead of "Evil mother uses child as human shield".

Why did HuffPo have to say "latest Black Woman killed by police" instead of maybe saying "Police save 5 year old child held hostage at gun point by female criminal."???

Why even mention the race here? Click bait by HuffPo? More race hustling? I just don't get it.

Why did HuffPo have to say "latest Black Woman killed by police" instead of maybe saying "Police save 5 year old child held hostage at gun point by female criminal."???

Why even mention the race here? Click bait by HuffPo? More race hustling? I just don't get it.

It struck me as sarcasm in a bid to look less biased; I honestly wouldn't have expected HuffPo to match a snarky title up like that with this particular article. More what I'd expect from a right-leaning site that also targets BLM, etc.

Reason: it seems to convey the idea of self-recognition by HuffPo that they really focus on seemingly wrongful shootings of black persons by police. They use this precise type of title when they do so - "it's happened again", etc - in those situations. But then they use it in the complete opposite situation; unless something truly astounding is found on a bodycam, it looks like the woman was just about the most awful person she could be and entirely at fault.

Last edited:

Well that's ****ed up.

Shielding oneself with a child, any child, is the ultimate evil.

Well, if the "police account" is true, then the woman was horrible.

But we've been told to not "rush to judgment" of others in other cases where police officers are caught on video doing something terrible. If that's valid, then so too should we not "rush to judgment' of the woman.

The department claims it doesn't yet know whether any of the cops had bodycams, which would have revealed the precise reason for their having fired. The facebook videos have apparently been deleted. We know the woman was killed and her child was wounded. So, we just have the police officer's account, which claims that the officers opened fire when she pointed the gun at them.

Another circumstance where bodycams, if used, present, and turned on, would be quite helpful.

And there shouldn't be a rush to judgement. From various reports it seems that she may have been involved with or influenced by the Sovereign Citizen movement and that the cops shot when she said something to the effect of "If you don't leave I'll kill you".

From what I'm seeing her supporters are saying that she was defending herself and that when a cop fears for his life he's justified in shooting but when this woman feared for her life it was a death sentence. I'm not really sure how to deal with that kind of thinking.

-edit-

Just to add some perspective on how this is being viewed in some circles -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/02/korryn-gaines-is-the-ninth-black-woman-shot-and-killed-by-police-this-year/?utm_term=.8f149a2e99a3
“Although Black women are routinely killed, raped, and beaten by the police, their experiences are rarely foregrounded in popular understandings of police brutality,” said Kimberlé Crenshaw, director of Columbia Law School’s Center for Intersectionality and Social Policy Studies, in her “Say Her Name” report on black women killed by the police issued last year. “Yet, inclusion of Black women’s experiences in social movements, media narratives, and policy demands around policing and police brutality is critical to effectively combating racialized state violence for Black communities and other communities of color.”

And there shouldn't be a rush to judgement. From various reports it seems that she may have been involved with or influenced by the Sovereign Citizen movement and that the cops shot when she said something to the effect of "If you don't leave I'll kill you".

From what I'm seeing her supporters are saying that she was defending herself and that when a cop fears for his life he's justified in shooting but when this woman feared for her life it was a death sentence. I'm not really sure how to deal with that kind of thinking.

-edit-

Just to add some perspective on how this is being viewed in some circles -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/02/korryn-gaines-is-the-ninth-black-woman-shot-and-killed-by-police-this-year/?utm_term=.8f149a2e99a3

At this stage, I think perhaps the most important question is why the police were in a position to be shot at. As in, did she threaten her child, therefore necessitating them placing themselves in the line of fire? Was she threatening someone other than the police and using the child as a shield?

If she was just saying "go away" and holding her child as a shield, then perhaps the best approach would be to try to wait it out and let the hostage negotiators do their thing. They have accomplished some pretty big feats in the past, in general.

She's still awful either which way (unless she is literally insane), but there's not nearly enough information now to even determine if it was necessary for the police to confront her in person at the time they did. The "instragram" shows the kid inside some home or other. If that's where this happened, I think a big question is the urgency of entering the home to confront her.

Edit: I hate the way the internet seems to be leading to the death of proper journalism. The OP says she "allegedly pointed a gun at officers and threatened to kill them", the WaPost one says "Around 3 p.m., after several hours of negotiation, police say Gaines raised the gun at officers and told them that she would kill them if they did not leave."

Well, do we have statements of time frame? Was this some spontaneous act? Was she acting in a way that suggested possible violence? I assume she had the gun the entire time near her, and they could see it, but is that even true? Was there a way to talk to her without actually standing there in the room?

Last edited:
At this stage, I think perhaps the most important question is why the police were in a position to be shot at. As in, did she threaten her child, therefore necessitating them placing themselves in the line of fire? Was she threatening someone other than the police and using the child as a shield?

If she was just saying "go away" and holding her child as a shield, then perhaps the best approach would be to try to wait it out and let the hostage negotiators do their thing. They have accomplished some pretty big feats in the past, in general.

She's still awful either which way (unless she is literally insane), but there's not nearly enough information now to even determine if it was necessary for the police to confront her in person at the time they did. The "instragram" shows the kid inside some home or other. If that's where this happened, I think a big question is the urgency of entering the home to confront her.

She seems to have had a rather confrontational history with the police (probably why there was a warrant) and possibly wasn't mentally stable.

There are some clips of a traffic stop she posted to Instagram before all this happened here - Who Was Korryn Gaines?

It's just one guy's opinion here but I didn't see any "brutality" in those clips and I get the impression that she had a habit of making some mighty big mountains out of some non-existent mole hills.

We all have to make many decisions in life. When you make bad decisions bad things can happen.
Pointing a shotgun at the police is a very bad one. Glad to hear that the officers were not hurt.

The thin blue line that protects society.

Now, now, you can't just rush to judgement. By all accounts she was a fine young woman, a loving mother and a pillar of her community who was horribly mistreated by the Man and left with no other reasonable option than to use her 5 year old as a meat shield.

You forgot to add her kindergarten school photo.

Back
Top Bottom