• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Koran Burner: Creepier Than You Think

Coronado

Voluntary Resignation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Smoking Gun said:
Koran Burner: Creepier Than You Think

Florida church’s “rulebook” worthy of pastor’s bonfire

SEPTEMBER 8--The Florida pastor who is planning to burn a pile of Korans this weekend runs a church that has established a variety of cult-like rules for individuals studying to become ministers, according to the group’s “rulebook.”

The Dove World Outreach Center (DWOC), headed by Islam-hating Rev. Terry Jones, has been widely denounced for its September 11 bonfire plans. The tiny Gainesville church is headed by Jones and his wife Sylvia, a co-pastor.

The DWOC’s “Academy Rulebook,” a copy of which you’ll find here, was created in November 2007 by Sylvia Jones. The document, which details the standards to which a prospective DWOC minister must adhere, addresses topics such as behavior, study, and communication. It is also filled with the kind of creepy directions that are often associated with cults.

[...]
A little bit Fred Phelps, a little bit David Koresh. Sign me up! :screwy

A little bit Fred Phelps, a little bit David Koresh. Sign me up! :screwy

none of which takes away from his constitutional right to burn a quran. I like the ploy though. discredit the guy as a nutter and you discredit his rights as a citizen.

none of which takes away from his constitutional right to burn a quran. I like the ploy though. discredit the guy as a nutter and you discredit his rights as a citizen.
Link to the post where I said he does not have the First Amendment right to do what he is doing.

um...the guy IS a nutter. he can do what he wants, but people should know he's a complete and utter idiot.

um...the guy IS a nutter. he can do what he wants, but people should know he's a complete and utter idiot.

agreed (meh 10 char)

Link to the post where I said he does not have the First Amendment right to do what he is doing.

Ok, so maybe you didn't come out and say he doesn't have 1st amendment rights. (maybe that was just the impression I got from your general tone)

so, please explain, other than to discredit the guy, what was your purpose for starting this thread.

Being critical of this guy is ALSO exercising free speech. :roll:

What, is he your uncle or something?

Ok, so maybe you didn't come out and say he doesn't have 1st amendment rights. (maybe that was just the impression I got from your general tone)

so, please explain, other than to discredit the guy, what was your purpose for starting this thread.
I started the thread because it is relevant, gives some background to a person and group that is currently in the news and interesting to me, and hopefully it is to others. My purpose was not to discredit him, as he does a fine job of it all by himself.

I don't give a squirt of piss about him, his "church," or his Koran burning past the entertainment value it provides me. He and his merry band of ko0ks can burn all the Korans they can afford for all I care. :sarcasticclap

Last edited:
Being critical of this guy is ALSO exercising free speech. :roll:

What, is he your uncle or something?

and me questioning his motives is also free speech :roll: what, is he your brother or something? :lol:

you questioning me questioning his motives is also free speech. we can go round and round with this all day.

I was just wanting to know the OPs motive for starting this thread. everyone already knows the guy is a nutter, so what is the point?

I like to know what precise sort of nutbag he actually is so I can enjoy despising him even while I defend his right to free speech.

I like to know what precise sort of nutbag he actually is so I can enjoy despising him even while I defend his right to free speech.
why do you hate free speach?

Two things to note here:

1. This nutter is free to be an ass, and it doesn't create violence in this country, doesn't get him stoned, lashed, arrested.

2. I'd dare say that all but a small portion of 1% of all the people on this planet support this guy and his church.

"I may not like what you have to say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to say it."

2. I'd dare say that all but a small portion of 1% of all the people on this planet support this guy and his church.

I do not support his actions, not in the least. He has every right to do this, but I have every right to think he's a moronic neanderthal who should crawl back under his troll rock and shut the **** up until he has something meaningful to say. Ditto Fred Phelps. I hope that mofo dies in a fire, as painfully as possible. I'm not going to cause the fire, I'm not threatening him, I'm just saying that he's a piece of crap who deserves to suffer.

I do not support his actions, not in the least. He has every right to do this, but I have every right to think he's a moronic neanderthal who should crawl back under his troll rock and shut the **** up until he has something meaningful to say. Ditto Fred Phelps. I hope that mofo dies in a fire, as painfully as possible. I'm not going to cause the fire, I'm not threatening him, I'm just saying that he's a piece of crap who deserves to suffer.

Rather violent of you to say. I wish he'd wake up and realize that Hate does not promote Jesus, but rather makes the issue about HIM* and that is the real sin here.

*The preacher not Jesus.

Rather violent of you to say. I wish he'd wake up and realize that Hate does not promote Jesus, but rather makes the issue about HIM* and that is the real sin here.

*The preacher not Jesus.

Pacifism is so overrated, V. Sometimes, what people really need is a nice sharp shank in the kidney.

You can think of this as WWCD.

Last edited:
Pacifism is so overrated, V. Sometimes, what people really need is a nice sharp shank in the kidney.

You can think of this as WWCD.

In my experience, all pacifism will accomplish is getting your ass kicked.

one of the few "sports" where you can be a complete and total fat bastard and still be an allstar. meh
Golf is not a sport in my reckoning, it is a game. If the average participant does not sweat from exertion while doing it, it's not a sport.

Back
Top Bottom