• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kobe Bryant

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
It's finally over. One of the best, finishing one of the worst runs since Jordan tried to be a Wizard. IMO, the last good Bryant year was when he won a title and finals MVP in the repeat year of 2010. The man willed that ring.

He never managed to find it again. But, unwilling to relent, he spent 6 years trying to get it back. He never came close.

Here's a good article discussing the true end of the legend's great run.
TrueHoop Presents: The last true days of Kobe Bryant

his refusal to sign with the team (hornets) that drafted him was a wise decision

I wonder what the team will do with all the cap space.

I mean...

Anyway, I never liked him. I thought he was arrogant, a jerk, and a ball hog.

I wonder what the team will do with all the cap space.

I mean...
How many superstars are left in the game deserving of that cap money? I think outside of a very small handful of players we may be approaching parity more due to a dearth of talent than a spreading out of talent.

Kobie was one of the greatest players in the history of the game. In their prime, I would have loved to see him and Jordan go one on one.

It's finally over. One of the best, finishing one of the worst runs since Jordan tried to be a Wizard. IMO, the last good Bryant year was when he won a title and finals MVP in the repeat year of 2010. The man willed that ring.

He never managed to find it again. But, unwilling to relent, he spent 6 years trying to get it back. He never came close.

Here's a good article discussing the true end of the legend's great run.
TrueHoop Presents: The last true days of Kobe Bryant

(1) He raped a women and paid her off

(2) His selfish attitude made him a pariah. He couldn't get along with the majority of teammates, he was often times a chilling presence on his teams. See Shaq, Karl Malone, Smush Parker, Robert Horry, etc..

(3) Most other superstars did not want to deal with his diva-esh attitude and declined to play for the Lakers.

(4) He was never fully embraced by the Black community. It is hard to relate when you are raised in Italy.

(5) Potential O.J Simpson type life after sports? Wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, I never liked him. I thought he was arrogant, a jerk, and a ball hog.

Wow, I actually agree with you for once.

Someone please pass the soap!

Not sure there is much else to say about Kobe Bryant other than it is time. Bye!

his refusal to sign with the team (hornets) that drafted him was a wise decision

I did not know he was drafted by Charlotte. Thanks.

(1) He raped a women and paid her off

(2) His selfish attitude made him a pariah. He couldn't get along with the majority of teammates, he was often times a chilling presence on his teams. See Shaq, Karl Malone, Smush Parker, Robert Horry, etc..

(3) Most other superstars did not want to deal with his diva-esh attitude and declined to play for the Lakers.

(4) He was never fully embraced by the Black community. It is hard to relate when you are raised in Italy.

(5) Potential O.J Simpson type life after sports? Wouldn't surprise me.

1. Consensual sex gone wrong. She definitely agreed to **** him, but then she wanted him to stop when he got rough. Kobe refusing to stop is not right, but he would not have been convicted, IMO.

2. Seems to be true. Absolute ball hog and totally unforgiving of the mistakes made by others. From what I read, he made Jordan look like Lebron. And, Jordan was an asshole.

3. Probably not in his prime. But, yes. Toward the end, no one wanted to go to LA.

4. Not sure why he should have "embraced" the black community. That **** is overrated. Ask Charles Barkley.

5. Gawd, I hope not. We do not need another OJ.

How many superstars are left in the game deserving of that cap money? I think outside of a very small handful of players we may be approaching parity more due to a dearth of talent than a spreading out of talent.

Kobie was one of the greatest players in the history of the game. In their prime, I would have loved to see him and Jordan go one on one.

I was mostly referencing his bloated salary that at a certain point in his career was problematic for the team when they wanted to bring in more talent.

Anyway, I'm actually fine with less superstars in sports. In my opinion they imbalance competition and make things too predictable. In tennis for example you can guess who will win a champion by just sticking to two or three players, while for a few years there in the NBA it was all about who Lebron was playing for.

Last edited:
I was mostly referencing his bloated salary that at a certain point in his career was problematic for the team when they wanted to bring in more talent.

Anyway, I'm actually fine with less superstars in sports. In my opinion they imbalance competition and make things too predictable. In tennis for example you can guess who will win a champion by just sticking to two or three players, while for a few years there in the NBA it was all about who Lebron was playing for.
The problem with fewer superstars is that you will still end up paying max money for mid range talent...which means when the next crop of superstars comes along there will be another upward price adjustment.

The problem with fewer superstars is that you will still end up paying max money for mid range talent...which means when the next crop of superstars comes along there will be another upward price adjustment.

Baseball has already gone that direction. NBA too...guys who pretty much suck, like Dwight Howard, making max money.

Baseball has already gone that direction. NBA too...guys who pretty much suck, like Dwight Howard, making max money.

How does Dwight Howard suck? The guy was the defensive player of the year multiple times, lead the league in blocks multiple times, lead the league in rebounding again multiple times, and has scored over twenty points a game year after year. His only real flaw is that he can only score from close to the net and his dribbling skills are no where to be found, but that's normal for a center.

Last edited:
The Lakers were idiots signing him for the last two years. This team is now a disaster, Jeanie needs to take over NOW!.

This team is at least 5 years away from contending for the championship. Local TV ratings have collapsed this year as every gives up on this team.

Kobie Bryant was a great player and serious injuries over his past few years crippled his abilities to the extent that he was a shadow of his former self. He proved that he could win an NBA title, almost by himself, by doing so after Shaq left.

The NBA is a league where a team can soar with one superstar. It doesn't always happen, but it did with Kobie Bryant.

As for his personal life, if I spent my time only watching sports played by stellar individuals, I wouldn't spend much time watching sports. If you can give a President a pass for receiving a blow job from an intern in the Oval Office, you can give a pass to guy who always gave his best when the ball was tipped off.

Kobie Bryant was a great player and serious injuries over his past few years crippled his abilities to the extent that he was a shadow of his former self. He proved that he could win an NBA title, almost by himself, by doing so after Shaq left.

The NBA is a league where a team can soar with one superstar. It doesn't always happen, but it did with Kobie Bryant.

As for his personal life, if I spent my time only watching sports played by stellar individuals, I wouldn't spend much time watching sports. If you can give a President a pass for receiving a blow job from an intern in the Oval Office, you can give a pass to guy who always gave his best when the ball was tipped off.

It is a team sport and Kobie was never much of a team player so by definition he was not a great player. He was fun to watch, he was entertaining, he had some great moves, but he was not a great player.

It is a team sport and Kobie was never much of a team player so by definition he was not a great player. He was fun to watch, he was entertaining, he had some great moves, but he was not a great player.

He'll be a first ballot hall of famer and is one of the highest scorers in league history - by definition, he's a great player and will be remembered that way.

If you can give a President a pass for receiving a blow job from an intern in the Oval Office, you can give a pass to guy who always gave his best when the ball was tipped off.

Why does one need to like people that are assholes CJ?

He'll be a first ballot hall of famer and is one of the highest scorers in league history - by definition, he's a great player and will be remembered that way.

He's got a good point though. Kobie played the game much of the time as if he was the only guy on the floor and would hold onto the ball regardless if someone was open or not. Hell, I remember watching him in his prime take on two defenders, while a guy was on the three point line waving his arms. Did he pass the ball? No, he kept at it until he took a bad shot and missed.

Also, if you look at his minutes played and amount of time with the ball his points should have been higher and his assists should have been considerably higher than 4.1 a game.

Why does one need to like people that are assholes CJ?

I didn't say you had to like him, nor would I - I simply stated that you should give him a pass with respect to his personal life because his professional life was impeccable, the same way that many on the left give President Clinton a pass because they believe he was a good President.

He's got a good point though. Kobie played the game much of the time as if he was the only guy on the floor and would hold onto the ball regardless if someone was open or not. Hell, I remember watching him in his prime take on two defenders, while a guy was on the three point line waving his arms. Did he pass the ball? No, he kept at it until he took a bad shot and missed.

The LA offense was designed primarily around Kobe running and owning the ball.

I will, however, grant you that this year, his last year, Kobe should have allowed the younger players to take more control of the offense so they could gain experience and confidence going forward.

The LA offense was designed primarily around Kobe running and owning the ball.

I will, however, grant you that this year, his last year, Kobe should have allowed the younger players to take more control of the offense so they could gain experience and confidence going forward.

His assists this year were higher than his average by a good bit. In fact, over the past few years his assists went up by about two a game.

His shooting percentage at 44% however doesn't show that offensive choice was wise nor does his points per game/total amount of time with the ball.

Last edited:

Also, if you look at his minutes played and amount of time with the ball his points should have been higher and his assists should have been considerably higher than 4.1 a game.
Kobie didn't play for the showtime Lakers where they went 8-9 players deep that could have been starters. He had talent...just not high quality talent around him. A lot of time he was option A, B, and C out of necessity.

Back
Top Bottom