• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kobe Beef....Is it ever worth it?

At Red Lobster, I too would have had that thought.

What do they say? "You don't order chicken in a steakhouse."

20-30-40 years ago I would have trusted Red Lobster with a lobster.

But this is America 2019....we are where we are.

SIGNED:
HAWkEYE10
:gunsmilie
PROUD Member of THE REBELLION since 9.10.15

Well, yes, my estimation of the chef's/kitchen's abilities is a factor, but I've not ever come by Kobe on the menu at a place that doesn't strike me as having very capable chefs.

Well now you might be on to something...Kobe is hard to get....especially from what is said to be the best farm (less than 50 cows a year I think I know) .....they sell only to the chefs that they want to sell too...they work like Chinese and Russians.

But I have heard of problems....that they dont always get it right.

I have had so many convos with Seattle pro's....the Amazon people want fresh interiors and trendy menus and at least not horrible service...after that most of them could not give a ****, they dont seem to even know what quality is.

I'm sure nouveau riche folks enjoy being so, as well they should, but eventually they'll figure out that there was a time in their lives when they had more dollars than sense.

There was a time when I was like that. In my case, it had to do with "coming of age" in a time when tastes and whatnot were changing. I grew up in comfortable circumstances, but my family's notion of "luxury" foods were things that Julia Child might prepare/serve. We ate Porterhouse steaks every week to two weeks and a filet, Beef Wellington or chateaubriand on holiday or "company's coming" occasions, but there's no way my folks would ever have considered buying/having "fancy beef" rather than a nice cut of beef (or something else) prepared and served in a "fancy" way.

Deer, Cornish hens, caviar, lamb, duck, squab, pheasant, rabbit and goose were about as exotic as food got in my parents' home. (About once a year, Miss Greene would make or bring chitterlings or pigs feet. The former I can take, depending on who prepares them and I'm not about to order them in a restaurant, but I like pigs feet.)

The result is that "exotic" stuff like Kobe/Wagyu was something I had to discover on my own. (It's great, but it's still beef, and as I've said, I like other things better than beef.) As with anything one must learn about for oneself, there will be a period during which one "don't know **** about it;" you're just "along for the ride," but there's something to be said for that too.

20-30-40 years ago I would have trusted Red Lobster with a lobster.

But this is America 2019....we are where we are.

SIGNED:
HAWkEYE10
:gunsmilie
PROUD Member of THE REBELLION since 9.10.15

Well, yeah....

Well now you might be on to something...Kobe is hard to get....especially from what is said to be the best farm (less than 50 cows a year I think I know) .....they sell only to the chefs that they want to sell too...they work like Chinese and Russians.

But I have heard of problems....that they dont always get it right.

As with everything, mistakes happen....It's just a matter of who pays.

I'm sure nouveau riche folks enjoy being so, as well they should, but eventually they'll figure out that there was a time in their lives when they had more dollars than sense.

There was a time when I was like that. In my case, it had to do with "coming of age" in a time when tastes and whatnot were changing. I grew up in comfortable circumstances, but my family's notion of "luxury" foods were things that Julia Child might prepare/serve. We ate Porterhouse steaks every week to two weeks and a filet, Beef Wellington or chateaubriand on holiday or "company's coming" occasions, but there's no way my folks would ever have considered buying/having "fancy beef" rather than a nice cut of beef (or something else) prepared and served in a "fancy" way.

Deer, Cornish hens, caviar, lamb, duck, squab, pheasant, rabbit and goose were about as exotic as food got in my parents' home. (About once a year, Miss Greene would make or bring chitterlings or pigs feet. The former I can take, depending on who prepares them and I'm not about to order them in a restaurant, but I like pigs feet.)

The result is that "exotic" stuff like Kobe/Wagyu was something I had to discover on my own. (It's great, but it's still beef, and as I've said, I like other things better than beef.) As with anything one must learn about for oneself, there will be a period during which one "don't know **** about it;" you're just "along for the ride," but there's something to be said for that too.

Amazon people want to brag that they have been to the hottest places, eaten the hottest dishes, it is all about reputation, about connecting their brands.

Quality they rarely know anything about.

Amazon people want to brag that they have been to the hottest places, eaten the hottest dishes, it is all about reputation, about connecting their brands.

Quality they rarely know anything about.

Well, yes. I think that's something all comfortable folks go through at some point in their lives.

Eventually, most of them grow out of the braggadocious phase.

What I think a lot of folks don't outgrow is misconstruing comfortable folks' merely sharing as bragging. Fairly often, it's not. It's just that the stuff such people do is "extravagant" by "normal" standards, so to "regular" folks it seems like boasting. After all, it's not one's "fault" one lives the life of Riley, so what's one to do? Not be part of the conversation when others are sharing their experiences? One can do that, but then one is deemed standoffish or dull. That's no good either.

Well, yes. I think that's something all comfortable folks go through at some point in their lives.

Eventually, most of them grow out of the braggadocious phase.

What I think a lot of folks don't outgrow is misconstruing comfortable folks' merely sharing as bragging. Fairly often, it's not. It's just that the stuff such people do is "extravagant" by "normal" standards, so to "regular" folks it seems like boasting. After all, it's not one's "fault" one lives the life of Riley, so what's one to do? Not be part of the conversation when others are sharing their experiences? One can do that, but then one is deemed standoffish or dull. That's no good either.

What is it 4 am where you are?

What is up with you?

What is it 4 am where you are?

What is up with you?

I don't know why, but ever since I retired I've been on a bizarre schedule insofar as I sleep or wake when it suits me. If I wake up, I just do and go about doing something. Right now, I'm periodically glancing at the computer screen while I also read a paper.

For the most part, I no longer have to be asleep or awake at any particular time. About the only thing that's relatively fixed in my daily schedule is when my trainer shows up....Speaking of which, he'll be here in a few hours, so I have to fix breakfast in about another hour and then do my morning aerobics before he gets here....so this "back and forth" we're having won't last too much longer.

I don't know why, but ever since I retired I've been on a bizarre schedule insofar as I sleep or wake when it suits me. If I wake up, I just do and go about doing something. Right now, I'm periodically glancing at the computer screen while I also read a paper.

For the most part, I no longer have to be asleep or awake at any particular time. About the only thing that's relatively fixed in my daily schedule is when my trainer shows up....Speaking of which, he'll be here in a few hours, so I have to fix breakfast in about another hour and then do my morning aerobics before he gets here....so this "back and forth" we're having won't last too much longer.

Interesting, My grandma Crozier told me I think it was 1976 when she was low 70's that when we get old we need not so much sleep as brain resting time, and that a lot of that can be done while awake if we train ourselves.

If youre gonna eat Kobe beef, make sure its authentic. There's only very few restaurants outside of Japan that are allowed to serve them. Many fakes out there. As far as I know only a handful of restaurants in the US have authentic Kobe beef.

I've eaten them once in Japan and another time at a registered outlet in Singapore. The taste is like any other beef but the consistency is like spam. Pound for pound I'd rather have Wagyu since you can eat more it because its cheaper.

If youre gonna eat Kobe beef, make sure its authentic. There's only very few restaurants outside of Japan that are allowed to serve them. Many fakes out there. As far as I know only a handful of restaurants in the US have authentic Kobe beef.

I've eaten them once in Japan and another time at a registered outlet in Singapore. The taste is like any other beef but the consistency is like spam. Pound for pound I'd rather have Wagyu since you can eat more it because its cheaper.

Good point and as I said I was offered a 12 course tasting for $135 with an upcharge of $20/ounce for Kobie, which was very popular, I am sure in part because this chef can be trusted to do it right.

But I notice that I am not hearing "Ya I spent $100 for 5 smallish bites of Kobe,,,,,,and it was totally worth it!

I wonder why.

Good point and as I said I was offered a 12 course tasting for $135 with an upcharge of $20/ounce for Kobie, which was very popular, I am sure in part because this chef can be trusted to do it right.
Well, looking at the websites that purport to serve authentic Kobe beef, there arent any in Washington State. So it looks like he was probably putting you on.

Well, looking at the websites that purport to serve authentic Kobe beef, there arent any in Washington State. So it looks like he was probably putting you on.

As has been explained to U....No.

As has been explained to U....No.

Unlike in Japan the term Kobe beef isnt regulated in the US and there's a lot of fakery going on. But then again, hey its your money, so do what thou wilt.

Unlike in Japan the term Kobe beef isnt regulated in the US and there's a lot of fakery going on. But then again, hey its your money, so do what thou wilt.

I know about the fakery......I am the guy who says that we are colossal liars now....but I know what was two feet from my face for several hours.

I know about the fakery......I am the guy who says that we are colossal liars now....but I know what was two feet from my face for several hours.

Nobody spews more bull than you. I don't believe a single word you've said on this thread.

Was at a place the other day for a 12 course tasting menu....the meat course is offing Kobe from the best Japanese farm we get told, UPCHARGE is $20/ounce.

It was very popular, Chef says that it always is.

WHAT SAY YOU?

EDIT: The Amazon people buy it this I know, but that does not mean that it is a good idea/purchase.

I'm happy with a nice rib eye from the grocery store for twelve bucks. A hot grill and a steak, yummy. I guess it makes those who can afford that sort of thing feel good?

I'm happy with a nice rib eye from the grocery store for twelve bucks. A hot grill and a steak, yummy. I guess it makes those who can afford that sort of thing feel good?

With Amazon people if it is expensive and it is supposed to be good then they are all in, this I have noticed.

How do you know what it is if youve never had it? Did he show you the certificate?

How do you know what it is if youve never had it? Did he show you the certificate?

I am an expert, and my expertise is not in doubt.

"NEXT!"

With Amazon people if it is expensive and it is supposed to be good then they are all in, this I have noticed.

I was in san jose for about nine months years ago, I found the people there to be very snooty.

Back
Top Bottom