• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kobe Beef....Is it ever worth it?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Was at a place the other day for a 12 course tasting menu....the meat course is offing Kobe from the best Japanese farm we get told, UPCHARGE is $20/ounce.

It was very popular, Chef says that it always is.

WHAT SAY YOU?

EDIT: The Amazon people buy it this I know, but that does not mean that it is a good idea/purchase.

Last edited:
McDonalds should put it on the menu.
Kobe beef and fries for $80.00

McDonalds should put it on the menu.
Kobe beef and fries for $80.00

I have had so many convos with Seattle pro's....the Amazon people want fresh interiors and trendy menus and at least not horrible service...after that most of them could not give a ****, they dont seem to even know what quality is.

Was at a place the other day for a 12 course tasting menu....the meat course is offing Kobe from the best Japanese farm we get told, UPCHARGE is $20/ounce.

WHAT SAY YOU?

EDIT: The Amazon people buy it this I know, but that does not mean that it is a good idea/purchase.

Everything is worth exactly what you can get people to pay for it.

I have had Kobe in the past. It is juicy, flavorful and could be "cut' with a fork.

You may appreciate the quality. My palate said "this is damn good, but not worth the price...

Look it's nice, but true kobe beef, raised in Kansai, is probably only mildly better than the other varieties of 'wagyu' out there.

Buying decent wagyu (Kobe style, but not necessarily from the area) in a supermarket in Japan is only a minor luxury (you have to cook it yourself) and much cheaper than getting real Kobe beef. Unfortunately overseas even regular marbled wagyu is pretty pricey, more so from Japan and possibly prohibitively so from Kobe. The taste and texture however, is not that far apart.

Everything is worth exactly what you can get people to pay for it.

I have had Kobe in the past. It is juicy, flavorful and could be "cut' with a fork.

You may appreciate the quality. My palate said "this is damn good, but not worth the price...

$320/pound upcharge is what we are talking, the food is starting at $135 a person, the wine flight is another $95 a person, before the Seattle 20% service charge.

It is always extremely popular, like a good 40% of the customers that night ordered it, this I know, because Chef and I talked shop all night.

WHAT SAY YOU?

It wasn't Kobe Waigu beef.

Look it's nice, but true kobe beef, raised in Kansai, is probably only mildly better than the other varieties of 'wagyu' out there.

Buying decent wagyu (Kobe style, but not necessarily from the area) in a supermarket in Japan is only a minor luxury (you have to cook it yourself) and much cheaper than getting real Kobe beef. Unfortunately overseas even regular marbled wagyu is pretty pricey, more so from Japan and possibly prohibitively so from Kobe. The taste and texture however, is not that far apart.

I bought my brother some "America Wagyu out of ID....Tri-Tip..3 grades above Prime...he said it was amazing.

I have never been willing to buy this for myself.

Meh.....Kobe beef is delicious, but not for the prices.

Meh.....Kobe beef is delicious, but not for the prices.

This is like spending $1000 for a bottle of wine right...Yes it is awesome, but it is still only 4 glasses, lets not get crazy!

Kobe waigu beef is very expensive and hard to get the genuine deal. https://www.thedailymeal.com/news.cook/legendary-japanese-wagyu-beef-available-costco-1200/120214

Every Kobe steak is Wagyu, but not all Wagyu beef is Kobe.
Kobe, in short, is a variety of Wagyu. Wagyu, loosely translated, means “Japanese cattle” (“Wa-” meaning Japanese or Japanese-style, and “-gyu” meaning cow or cattle). So “Wagyu” refers to any cattle that is bred in Japan or the Japanese-style. Kobe beef is comprised of a very particular strain of Wagyu called Tajima-Gyu that is raised to strict standards in the prefecture of Hyogo. (Hyogo’s capital city is Kobe, thus the name).
Quoted from https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/2016/05/10/wagyu-kobe-beef-difference/

This was a super high quality place....stop assuming. Yes we still have a year to go on the bankruptcy but I am not exactly suffering, something that drives my haters nuts.

I am a retired chef who spent the night at Chef's table gabbing with Chef as I watched this Kobe being sliced cooked and served.

This is Truth

Last edited:
I bought my brother some "America Wagyu out of ID....Tri-Tip..3 grades above Prime...he said it was amazing.

I have never been willing to buy this for myself.

Oh it's nice, no question. Definitely has advantages over plain old local beef. But the price may not be worth it at the top rung.

Oh it's nice, no question. Definitely has advantages over plain old local beef. But the price may not be worth it at the top rung.

Compliments for your civility, I dont recall seeing this side of you before.

Compliments for your civility, I dont recall seeing this side of you before.

Actually I am always civil, if curt with those who insult me, but who's gonna get excited over a discussion about beef?

I was at a super high quality place....stop assuming. Yes we still have a year to go on the bankruptcy but I am not exactly suffering, something that drives my haters nuts.

You said $20 up charge for genuine Kobi Wagyu Beef that only comes from one place in the world. Maybe you left something out, like how much the dinner was. That stuff is like $300 for 16oz. I can see a $20 upcharge if its very small amount 3oz and the dinner is say $250 a plate.

You said $20 up charge for genuine Kobi Wagyu Beef that only comes from one place in the world. Maybe you left something out, like how much the dinner was. That stuff is like $300 for 16oz. I can see a $20 upcharge if its very small amount 3oz and the dinner is say $250 a plate.

I left nothing out...$135 for the tasting menu, upgrade the meat course for $20/ounce. I did not have it, I had some gourmet poultry from Vashion Island..Guinea Hen...done Sous Vide . My daughter and her wife spent $1,000 for two last year, I was not willing to do that but I wonder what I missed.

Kobe Beef....Is it ever worth it?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
-- Mae West​

It's food, and like all foods, the only way to know what one thinks of it is to try it. So, yes, it's certainly "worth it" at least once.

If one doesn't deem it "worth it" once, it's all but impossible to know whether one thinks it's "worth it." Thus what matters is whether it's "worth it" the second time.

Now as goes that second time, well, there's myriad reasons why, for any given individual, it may be "worth it" or not "worth it." That really is something that can be assessed and attested to accurately only on a situation-by-situation or person-by-person basis.

I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.
-- Mae West​

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
-- Mae West​

It's food, and like all foods, the only way to know what one thinks of it is to try it. So, yes, it's certainly "worth it" at least once.

If one doesn't deem it "worth it" once, it's all but impossible to know whether one thinks it's "worth it." Thus what matters is whether it's "worth it" the second time.

Now as goes that second time, well, there's myriad reasons why, for any given individual, it may be "worth it" or not "worth it." That really is something that can be assessed and attested to accurately only on a situation-by-situation or person-by-person basis.

I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.
-- Mae West​

Then too the last time I was into Red Lobster they had this humongous lobster in the tank, about $130 I was told....my first thought was "I am not so sure that there is anyone in the kitchen to trust with my $130 lobster".

FWIW, I like beef, and I am keen on Kobe beef, but there are proteins I like far better than beef, any beef, so while I've had Kobe beef, at this point in my life, the only reason I'd buy it again is because:
  • none of the other proteins I like better than beef are on offer, and
  • I'm specifically of a mind to have beef instead of something I like just as much as I do beef, and
  • Kobe is among the beef dishes offered.
That set of circumstances just doesn't present itself all that often.

What proteins do I like better than beef? Lamb, lobster, Blue Crab, diver scallops, Dover sole, fatty tuna, duck, and certain preparations of roast pork and pork ribs.

FWIW, I like beef, and I am keen on Kobe beef, but there are proteins I like far better than beef, any beef, so while I've had Kobe beef, at this point in my life, the only reason I'd buy it again is because:
  • none of the other proteins I like better than beef are on offer, and
  • I'm specifically of a mind to have beef instead of something I like just as much as I do beef, and
  • Kobe is among the beef dishes offered.
That set of circumstances just doesn't present itself all that often.

What proteins do I like better than beef? Lamb, lobster, Blue Crab, diver scallops, Dover sole, fatty tuna, duck, and certain preparations of roast pork and pork ribs.

Will you only order it when you have some reason to trust the kitchen?

Then too the last time I was into Red Lobster they had this humongous lobster in the tank, about $130 I was told....my first thought was "I am not so sure that there is anyone in the kitchen to trust with my $130 lobster".

At Red Lobster, I too would have had that thought.

What do they say? "You don't order chicken in a steakhouse."

Will you only order it when you have some reason to trust the kitchen?

Well, yes, my estimation of the chef's/kitchen's abilities is a factor, but I've not ever come by Kobe on the menu at a place that doesn't strike me as having very capable chefs.

Back
Top Bottom