• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kneejerk reactions to initial (must be first)/hyperbolic reporting, whose fault is it?

Cope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
For a good while now, I have thought that one of the main problems we have today is the way reporting is allowed to continue down a path of misinformation driven by a narrative that they want to promote. OR, people have changed to want to kneejerk react and rush to judge something without any facts to actually judge.

We used to be a wait and get the facts type of country, now it seems as if everything is a rush to judgement based upon incomplete, or misleading reporting.

Whose fault do you lay blame with? The media or the people who do so?

How do we stop it?

For a good while now, I have thought that one of the main problems we have today is the way reporting is allowed to continue down a path of misinformation driven by a narrative that they want to promote. OR, people have changed to want to kneejerk react and rush to judge something without any facts to actually judge.

We used to be a wait and get the facts type of country, now it seems as if everything is a rush to judgement based upon incomplete, or misleading reporting.

How do we stop it?
What prompted this?

Just come out with it, I don't watch much news.
Come out with it? You expect me to know your reason for starting this thread for you?

Everyone is to blame.

The media is too concerned with getting the story out before the competition. As a result, truth and accuracy become secondary.

The people are like cats chasing a laser pointer. Look and leap before considering why.

Combine the two issues and you have the answer.

How do we stop it?
"one of the main problems we have today is the way reporting is allowed to continue down a path of misinformation driven by a narrative that they want to promote." = the issue

How do we stop it?

It has always gone on but now there are many more people who can find the best and most accurate approximation to the truth and find it faster and then communicate it to others .

There is now , as it were , a new sub species who see outside the box/matrix and know how to find others with the same skill sets .
The war is shaping up between the new smarter sub species and the Gullibles /Compliants , in order to produce a fresh approach and overthrow the ruling 1%.

Come out with it? You expect me to know your reason for starting this thread for you?
No, I'm expecting you to not ****ing insinuate that I made this thread for some ominous purpose that a few of you seem to think you know.
Or just come out with whatever reason you think this thread got started.

"one of the main problems we have today is the way reporting is allowed to continue down a path of misinformation driven by a narrative that they want to promote." = the issue
Well yes, but who do you blame and how do we stop it?
The producers of such or the consumers who gobble it up... and react.

No, I'm expecting you to not ****ing insinuate that I made this thread for some ominous purpose that a few of you seem to think you know.
Or just come out with whatever reason you think this thread got started.
Inspirations for thread topics aren’t inherently ominous. But making them known does make for clearer discussion.

But whatever. You’re clearly spooked by this request so I’ll leave you to it.

Inspirations for thread topics aren’t inherently ominous. But making them known does make for clearer discussion.

But whatever. You’re clearly spooked by this request so I’ll leave you to it.
I answered you, the last decade (or more) or reporting, faulty reporting, biased reporting, hyperbolic reporting. It's gotten so far out of hand and needs to be curtailed.
I would appreciate you, and others, to listen to the answer given and take me at my word.

But yes, if you cannot or simply do not want to, then just leave it alone.

How do we stop it?

What do you think? Please advise.

As a fan of journalism, I am also sad that most publications/websites/TV stations want to "report" unsubstantiated information.

In England, there is a newspaper called The Times. It used to be the bulletin board of the Establishment. In the 19th century, if a report appeared in that paper, it was probably true. Credibility was the key to its high reputation.

Today the American media (right or left) have little credibility. They will report any rumor.

That's one reason why print newspapers are disappearing and most people will not pay for digital newspapers, either. People prefer to rely on free sources. (Yes, the New York Times is doing very well in digital subscriptions, but that's because it is preaching to the (Democratic) choir. Our local Los Angeles Times is doing so badly that the owner has appealed for government subsidies.)

What do you think? Please advise.
Ultimately what I think is that the US has gotten weak. Weak minded individuals that are willing to let someone else tell them how to think and what to feel.

We should hold our media and the reporting that comes out from them accountable, using the dollars and sense that we purport to have.
This issue is much akin to our political sphere today.

Maybe we need to remove funding from the media or disallow editorial comments from "news" sources?

So while both sides get some share of the blame, the blame ultimately lies with the people since the people allow it to continue.

Everyone is to blame.

The media is too concerned with getting the story out before the competition. As a result, truth and accuracy become secondary.

The people are like cats chasing a laser pointer. Look and leap before considering why.

Combine the two issues and you have the answer.

This, though I would frame it a bit differently, as I like to think in terms of incentive.

There is no downside to producing entertaining but inaccurate information. If there was, they'd stop.

And there is SO much media demand, the drive to add to it and control it is consuming a lot of energy best spent elsewhere, but collectively we're just up-jumped squirrels and we don't know any better.

This, though I would frame it a bit differently, as I like to think in terms of incentive.

There is no downside to producing entertaining but inaccurate information. If there was, they'd stop.
How do we provide enough of a disincentive?
And there is SO much media demand, the drive to add to it and control it is consuming a lot of energy best spent elsewhere, but collectively we're just up-jumped squirrels and we don't know any better.
I prefer not to think all the people falling for this are stupid, I think plenty of them DO KNOW better, but it aligns with their own biases so they are good with it.

How do we provide enough of a disincentive?

You sum the challenge up well in your next line, I think.

I prefer not to think all the people falling for this are stupid, I think plenty of them DO KNOW better, but it aligns with their own biases so they are good with it.

Stupid behavior is stupid behavior, whatever the reason.

Rationalizing stupid behavior is still stupid but it makes us feel smart, and that's way easier than making smart decisions.

It's not as though making smart decisions will necessarily lead to a reward we actually want, either.

That's the trap we're all in. Collectively we're too easy to satisfy, and the best of us are dragged down by the rest.

Ultimately what I think is that the US has gotten weak. Weak minded individuals that are willing to let someone else tell them how to think and what to feel.

We should hold our media and the reporting that comes out from them accountable, using the dollars and sense that we purport to have.
This issue is much akin to our political sphere today.

Maybe we need to remove funding from the media or disallow editorial comments from "news" sources?

So while both sides get some share of the blame, the blame ultimately lies with the people since the people allow it to continue.

How are you going to stop "Weak minded individuals that are willing to let someone else tell them how to think and what to feel." from happening? Or modify it?

How are you going to "...hold our media and the reporting that comes out from them accountable..."?

How are you going to'...remove funding from the media or disallow editorial comments from "news" sources?' that would be constitutional? The govt already has leverage on content of govt funded media. Non-govt funded media are protected by freedom of speech of the Constitution.

What should the people do to "...allow it to continue."?

How do we stop it?
It's the system we have. For profit news demands it. It's no different than any other business in this regard.

How are you going to stop "Weak minded individuals that are willing to let someone else tell them how to think and what to feel." from happening? Or modify it?

How are you going to "...hold our media and the reporting that comes out from them accountable..."?

How are you going to'...remove funding from the media or disallow editorial comments from "news" sources?' that would be constitutional? The govt already has leverage on content of govt funded media. Non-govt funded media are protected by freedom of speech of the Constitution.

What should the people do to "...allow it to continue."?
Who said it was easy?
I have about zero idea of how to stop people from being weak willed individuals, maybe promote a different mindset early on in school age children.

But one thing we can certainly do is go back to putting personal responsibility on the people making the choices they make and stop excusing poor choice.

Who said it was easy?
I have about zero idea of how to stop people from being weak willed individuals, maybe promote a different mindset early on in school age children.

But one thing we can certainly do is go back to putting personal responsibility on the people making the choices they make and stop excusing poor choice.
That's well and good, but what does it have to do with news media?

Back
Top Bottom