• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kiosks Eliminating Jobs

Southern Dad

Presidential Candidate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
You can't convince me that automation is not putting people out of work. I just renewed my tags at Kroger in about a minute. Happy birthday to me. Last year I waited in line at the Walton County tax office for at least 20 minutes for someone to do the same job.

0da11371b7c8f00a51ebbb749283fccd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Citing concerns about the rising cost of labor, Wendy's President Todd Penegor told Investor's Business Daily (IBD) about plans to automate the ordering process in company restaurants. Employees who once took orders from customers will be replaced by self-service kiosks. Mobile ordering and payment apps will also cut down on employee hours.

According to IBD, Penegor says the move is a response to the rising cost of labor for the company. He says it's partly a result of rising minimum wages, but also a consequence of more competition between companies for a smaller pool of workers. The company has found it has to shell out more than it once did if it wants "to access good labor."

Wendy's is not alone in the fast food world in deciding to cut the costs and difficulties of human beings out of its ordering process. McDonald's has been testing similar kiosks on a smaller scale.
Wendy's workers will lose jobs to robots - Tech Insider

I predict they will be very popular with the public, there will be no blowback for this effort to eliminate jobs. Applebee's I think was the first to go all in on replacing order takers with self serve tech , and it is working from what I hear.

Actually, the point of kiosks is to eliminate jobs.

You can't convince me that automation is not putting people out of work. I just renewed my tags at Kroger in about a minute. Happy birthday to me. Last year I waited in line at the Walton County tax office for at least 20 minutes for someone to do the same job.

Happy birthday from a fellow early May dude.

The automation of jobs and the implementation of AI is one of the reasons why a universal income seems inevitable - assuming that society reaches the conclusion that a population where roughly half are unemployed and not earning income is a bad thing. Kiosks are already replacing servers and receptionists. Automated vehicles will soon replace truck, bus, train, and taxi drivers.

Even my job, as an attorney, which is projected to have a better chance of survival suffered its first replacement a few days ago.

Happy birthday from a fellow early May dude.

The automation of jobs and the implementation of AI is one of the reasons why a universal income seems inevitable - assuming that society reaches the conclusion that a population where roughly half are unemployed and not earning income is a bad thing. Kiosks are already replacing servers and receptionists. Automated vehicles will soon replace truck, bus, train, and taxi drivers.

Even my job, as an attorney, which is projected to have a better chance of survival suffered its first replacement a few days ago.

Automation is all around us now. Kiosks are the future. Those who have minimal skills are in trouble. As minimum wage continues to increase, the ROI gets better on investing in kiosk technology. But if a little county like Walton County, Georgia has kiosks to renew tags, I think its coming or already at the bigger counties.

Wait until one breaks and you need to find another AI to fix it. SHTF time.

I like this trend.

As long as those kiosks keep their penises out of the ladies' room, I'm OK with it.

Where did you get the idea that there are people who think automation doesn't destroy jobs?

People still have to build the kiosks, and others have to maintain them.

Where's the fun in that? I can't see myself arguing with a kiosk. Or can I?

Was there a "convenience" fee ?

The same place he got the idea that the people who work at the tag office are highly paid

The county tax office employees in Walton County are well paid for the area. Their salaries are in the county budget. It isn't a secret.

Kiosk??? I don't need no stinkin' kiosk!!

Seriously, in Colorado I go to the DMV website, enter my plate number, pay with a card and my tags come in the mail a week later.

Easy-peasy.

Back
Top Bottom